Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

The Other Christian's Thread

I like the pick. He was a need for us and a top 5 talent left according to mcshay and kiper. Should be good for us. Now we need to address ol.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: The Other Christian's Thread

Love the pick, but I don't see him as a DT, nor does CBS. He is a LDE who can play all 5 positions.

Pass rush: Has an intriguing mix of speed and size to provide pass rush inside. Has a swim move to get over his blocker and can deliver a blow to push blockers into the backfield when they retreat. Quick enough to disrupt double-team blocks and get into the backfield. Fair changing direction in space and good closing speed on the outside, will track down most pocket passers. Misses too many tackles in the backfield because he bends at the waist instead of dropping his hips. Learning to use his hands to get off blocks but remains a work in progress in that area. Must improve identifying cut blocks but has the nimble feet to jump or step over them.

Run defense: Solid run defender capable of penetrating to stop plays and offer anchor inside despite his tall frame. Uses his length and strong hands to keep distance from blockers. Moves well while engaged, which forces backs to take inside lanes. Chases down plays, keeping his balance even when knocked backward by double-teams. Can track down ballcarriers on the outside with good straight-line speed. Inconsistent leverage, stands his ground at times to clog up the middle but also get washed out of plays. Must improve his hand play to disengage more consistently, as he gets into position to make tackles but does not attack the ball in his area. Loses the ball in the backfield while engaged.

Explosion: Explosive enough off the snap to be a pass-rush force inside using a quick first step and excellent length. Also flashes a great initial punch to stand up his man, or even push him into the backfield, but doesn't get off to make plays often enough.

Strength: Miscast when lining up on the nose or at the one-technique position but takes on the challenge and holds his ground adequately well despite his height. Can stack and shed when one-on-one inside. Pounds blocker with violent hands to get off blocks but could be more consistent. Does not have an elite anchor and needs to keep his pads low to get leverage when eating up blocks.

Tackling: Has the length, closing speed and size to wrap up defenders in space. Agile enough to get at least a piece of ballcarrier before they escape outside, but his lack of flexibility allows running backs to elude. Good chase to the outside if plays get stretched. Leaves his feet too quickly instead of driving into the midsection.

Intangibles: Team player, durable and willing to line up wherever coaches feel the defense needs him to be. Has worked hard in the weight room to add strength since arriving in Iowa City. No known character issues.
    CBS Sports

Strengths
    Ballard possesses exceptional size, upper body strength, and athleticism. He's a versatile player who could play just about any position on the defensive line in a number of schemes. He has experience at strongside DE and UT in the 4-3 scheme that Iowa runs. Has an explosive first step to get out of his stance quickly. Engages the blocker and can frequently gain the edge on slower-footed linemen. Also is able to penetrate by splitting double teams. Has rare lateral mobility and exceptional feet for a man his size. Possesses tremendous short-area quickness and changes direction well without losing speed or balance. Is a solid pursuit player who can keep his legs clean while moving down the line. Excellent straight-line speed (4.70 at Combine). Uses his long arms and heavy hands to stack and shed. Very durable player who didn't miss any games for injury during his career and played through a nagging groin injury that slowed him down for much of the 2010 season. Played one of the best games by a defensive lineman that I've seen in some time (Penn State 2010, although PSU's offensive line wasn't anything to write home about).
    Weaknesses
    Struggled to live up to expectations in his senior year (partially because of injuries) despite much of the attention being placed on teammate Adrian Clayborn. Lacks the sand in the pants needed to stand up at the POA and will need to add some functional strength in his lower body at the next level. As a pass rusher, he relies solely on his athleticism and quickness and needs to develop an arsenal of pass-rush moves to succeed at the next level. Ballard often faces double teams and, if he doesn't immediately split them double, he doesn't fight the double team off hard enough. Is prone to rushing too deep and can be pushed past the pocket. Will often play too upright and can be controlled when he loses leverage. Needs to do a better job at diagnosing plays and locating the football.
    Projection
    Ballard is an intriguing player who flashes outstanding potential at times. He's going to wow some folks with physical skills and workouts, but will turn some off with very inconsistent film. Someone could fall in love with him and take him in the latter stages of round 1, but it would be hard to imagine he'll slide much past the middle of round 2.
    CDS
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

delviking is offline Starter

well Kiper can sit and rotate for all i care
    but i do like the pick and provides a good pass rushering player whose should be able to play anywhere on the line.

Still needs to bulk up to 290-300lbs i think.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "delviking" #1095594
    but i do like the pick and provides a good pass rushering player whose should be able to play anywhere on the line.

They'll give him Randy Moss's portions of the Buffet's and I'm sure he'll get up there.

What did Kiper say? Probably something stupid, thats why I don't listen to them.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095598

What did Kiper say? Probably something stupid, thats why I don't listen to them.
    Pretty sure he's commenting on my note that chrisian was on kipers top 5 talent left.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

delviking is offline Starter

Its just ive never really like Kiper or his rating hes annoying and most often wrong i didnt have a problem till he said that our 05 draft was awesome then low and behold its our worst draft either ever or in a long time. And i just take what he says and go the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by "delviking" #1095600
    Its just ive never really like Kiper or his rating hes annoying and most often wrong i didnt have a problem till he said that our 05 draft was awesome then low and behold its our worst draft either ever or in a long time. And i just take what he says and go the opposite.
    Gotcha.

As I said in the other DT thread. I've relented on this cat. At 6'5"/297 lbs, he can add the weight needed to move inside so I don't think the staff is going to use him as a LDE.

Here is the additional info I found researching him.

Round 4, Pick 9 (106) Christian Ballard DL 6'5" 297
    "Biography: Three-year starter who totaled 43/5/3 as a senior after 54/9/5.5 as a junior.

Positives: ""Explosive and athletic player with ability at a number of positions on the defensive line. Forceful up the field, quickly changes direction, and can pursue the action from every area. Easily moves about the field, possesses terrific playing speed, and effectively uses his hands to protect himself. Displays good punch and jolt at the point of attack, works his hands throughout the action, and flashes power. Pushes blockers off the line, plays with good knee bend, and forceful up the field. Beats blocks to make plays on the ball despite the extra attention he receives. Rarely off his feet.""

Negatives: Does not consistently play with a sense of urgency. Just average first-step quickness. Average upper body strength.

Analysis: Ballard is a terrific defensive lineman and is one of the more underrated players at his position in this draft. He possesses the explosiveness and size to be used as a traditional defensive tackle or line up as a two-gap end in a 3-4 alignment. Ballard possesses enormous upside and has the potential to be a productive starter in the NFL if he puts the pieces together and continues to improve his game.

Projection: 1-2"

Pick Analysis: The Vikings bolster their depth along the defensive line with the selection of Ballard. He gives them a rugged interior defender with the size and strength to be effective at the point of attack. He is a tremendous value pick for the Vikings at this point.

"What he brings: He is versatile enough to line up both outside and inside (on passing downs). He has good closing speed for his size but his production is inconsistent and has not matched his ability.

How he fits: Ray Edwards and Brian Robison may leave in free agency and the only young developmental guy is Everson Griffen. Ballard is a good fit at LDE in this 4-3 defense but an added bonus is his ability to move inside in some situations, which could be really important considering the tentative status of Kevin Williams and Pat Williams."

"Prospect Rank: 44

Ballard was projected to go in the second or third round, so the Vikings got good value. Ballard should contribute right away at defensive tackle."

Pro Football Weekly draft analyst Nolan Nawrocki: Ballard could turn out to be an excellent value in the fourth round if DL coach Karl Dunbar can light a fire underneath him and keep him focused. He has first-round-type athletic traits and movement skill, but has too often coasted on his natural talent in college and slid to the fourth round only because he tested positive for marijuana at the NFL Scouting Combine. He compares somewhat similarly to a young Kevin Williams and has untapped potential to be groomed

skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast