Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

Opinions on the 06 Rookie Class now.

I was not really around this site when the draft happened but I know that there was alot of mixed opinions about the draft. I even admit that
    I was somewhat skepitacal but wanted to take a look and see approach.
    IMO I would have given this rookie class a C minus but now I think I woud give them a Solid B based on TJacks play and solid play from Griffith, Blue and
    some surprides like Kolozji(sp) and Edwards. Grenway was just a freak thing, I was excited to see him on the feild but I don't think he adds to or takes away from the grade.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Opinions on the 06 Rookie Class now.

During and after the draft, and still to this day, the only pick I really questioned was the Ryan Cook pick......I hope he turns out to be a solid player for us but, I don't really hear his name mentioned all that much and I still think we could have gotten him in a much later round........

Overall, I still think we had a draft that would be fair to grade a solid B -
    B plus....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

I agree that Greenway's injury doesn't change the grade...and that TJack has surprised practically all of us with his early performance...but it is still kinda difficult to put a grade on the draft class just yet.
    Was Kolo even drafted?
    I thought that he was a FA?

Of course, my opinion of the draft is tainted by the fact that I would have drafted DIFFERENT players LAST YEAR, so that we would have had different needs THIS YEAR.
    I wanted Derrick Johnson at #7 and then Matt Jones at #18.
    This would have allowed us to pass at LB and take DeAngelo Williams with this year's #1 and then Abdul Hodge with the pick that we used on Cook.
    We would have still probably chosen a QB next...although I admit that I was sold on Whitehurst or Croyle (or maybe even Jacobs) in the spot that we took TJack at (and will gladly eat crow on that call).
    I like the Ray Edwards pick and am happy with the Blue pick as well.
    I would have probably taken a faster safety than Griffin but he seems to have good football speed (as opposed to 40 speed), so I am fine with his selection.
    I would have to say that we get a B, given the fact that we did fill most of our needs fairly well.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"cajunvike" wrote:
    I agree that Greenway's injury doesn't change the grade...and that TJack has surprised practically all of us with his early performance...but it is still kinda difficult to put a grade on the draft class just yet.
    Was Kolo even drafted?
    I thought that he was a FA?

Of course, my opinion of the draft is tainted by the fact that I would have drafted DIFFERENT players LAST YEAR, so that we would have had different needs THIS YEAR.
    I wanted Derrick Johnson at #7 and then Matt Jones at #18.
    This would have allowed us to pass at LB and take DeAngelo Williams with this year's #1 and then Abdul Hodge with the pick that we used on Cook.
    We would have still probably chosen a QB next...although I admit that I was sold on Whitehurst or Croyle (or maybe even Jacobs) in the spot that we took TJack at (and will gladly eat crow on that call).
    I like the Ray Edwards pick and am happy with the Blue pick as well.
    I would have probably taken a faster safety than Griffin but he seems to have good football speed (as opposed to 40 speed), so I am fine with his selection.
    I would have to say that we get a B, given the fact that we did fill most of our needs fairly well.
    True. Even though it is hard to give a accurate grade but I know alot of peope that
    were expecting Tjack to make Akili Smith look like a hall of famer. and alot of both fans and so called experts giving us a very low grade

Ross Kolodziej was a free agent from Arizona, not a rookie.
    He played college ball for Wisconsin back when they were in the rose bowl i believe. But i too believe it was a pretty good draft.
    Edwards could become a really good end in a few years and we all know how well T-Jack has been playing and hopefully continues to play. Also like Blue and Griffin to add depth to the defensive backfield.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

Early grade is simple...C.
    Unless you are able to draft immediate, impact players, the grade is virtually always a C.
    The C converts to different grades based on the reaches of the coaching and scouting staffs.
    Grades must also take a holistic view, in that, the Saints picked up Reggie Bush at #2; they could pick Akili Smith for their next 6 picks and some publications will grade them at an A based solely on the Bush pick - I argue preposterous.
    Certainly, barring injury, Reggie Bush will be one of the most prolific players in recent memory, but, it didn't really take any work to pick him...gimme a break.
    The Texans made an historic mistake, in my opinion; which, by the way (like yours), is nearly as qualified as at least half of the writers for publications we so eagerly buy for our FFL drafts.
    Ok, enough, the Vikes made, again, in my opinion, some very solid picks.
    Greenway appears to be a solid citizen and leader, too bad for the injury - he'll hopefully be back.
    I absolutely love the Cedrick Griffin...he will be a terrific pro.
    Tarvaris Jackson, wow, talk about a guy that has been impressive.....so far; we shall see if Childress was right on him, pretty big investment.
    Ryan Cook in the second round, hopefully they see something no other team, nor scouting agency reported.
    Edwards, looks solid - hope he has changed his approach to life.
    Blue, special teams demon...see Offord.
    The draft is clearly a C, with potential to convert upward looking quite positive.
    Even though I definitely agree with CajunVike regarding last year's draft, that's history.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Benet is offline Star Spokesman

I gotta agree with Cajun here, I'm still trying to understand why we didn't take Derrick Johnson. I'm surprised Red didn't force Tice to take him. Anyway, the only thing I disagree with Caj is that instead of DeAngelo Williams I'd have taken Maroney, but that's a minor point. As for what we did take this year, Greenway can't be evaluated but I'm glad we got him. As much as I liked Sims I think he is going to struggle to be consistent this season and AJ Hawk was never a realistic chance for us. That being said, by all accounts EJ has exploded this training camp so I'm excited to see what he can do in this system. I really like Griffin, I think he'll be a good nickel this season, but of course the first test will be against the Redskins receiving corps. While the majority of people will say Greg Blue was a good pick because he's the only player in the 5th round who got ESPN coverage, I'm hesitant to say he'll be a great safety just yet, but I do believe he will be more than adequate on special teams.

And of course, Tarvaris has surpassed expectations for his play already.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni

well.. here's a few draft things i'm glad for.

we got all picks in on time

2. no blatent stupid deals came up in the draft

3. the draft was as i can see so far well studied.. and the players we (coaching staff not fans) wanted we got

4. so far as the season looms closer.. we don't have tht rookie who just.. busts and makes u wonder why we even looooked @ him

grade wise.. i'll wait till january..

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall