Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Opening game against the Packers may be the key to the season

Most Vikings fans probably don't give them much of a shot of beating Indianapolis in Week 2.
    That may be why beating the Packers in Week 1 could be critical to the success of the upcoming season.

I look at it this way.
    Sure, the fans (and hopefully players) emotions will be running high at the home opener against Peyton Manning and the Colts.
    But if the Vikings lose to the Packers in Week 1, and then lose to the Colts as expected in Week 2, the Vikings will be 0-2 with almost a must-win game at home the following week against Carolina (especially considering the following two games are both on the road).
    The naysayers, TJack haters, and fire Chillyists will be in full throat.

However, what happens if the Vikings beat the Packers in Week 1?
    The fans (and again, hopefully the players) will be sky high going into the home opener!
    We've just beaten our biggest rival on the road to open the season, and now we get the powerhouse Colts at our home opener.
    I think the emotional lift from beating the Packers will boost the fans and players so much that it greatly enhances the Vikings chances of upsetting the Colts.
    If the Vikings win, they'll be 2-0 with possibly their two toughest contests behind them.
    Even if they lose to fall to 1-1, no real worries.

Childress and Co. must pull out all the stops to make sure the Vikings win that first game!
    Not to mention the Packers have an incredibly tough five game stretch starting in Week 3.
    If the Vikings can have already handed the Packers a division and conference loss before that five week stretch, the Packers could almost be out of the race by the time the bye week arrives.
    And we need the Packers to be coming from the back of the field, because they could win five or six of their final seven games.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

Ihatevikings is offline Training Camp

Re: Opening game against the Packers may be the key to the season

Now.....im a packer fan........but! I do think your right and same goes for my packers we have a tough schedule and you guys are an okay team so thats alotta hard games!

We have to play Dallas and indy! so winning some momentum will be good for my favirote team as it would for yours.

dcboardr41 is offline Team Alumni

"Ihatevikings" wrote:
    Now.....im a packer fan........but! I do think your right and same goes for my packers we have a tough schedule and you guys are an okay team so thats alotta hard games!

We have to play Dallas and indy! so winning some momentum will be good for my favirote team as it would for yours.
    hes back outta hell lol

Pissing on the Pack since 08'

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

A good beginning is half the work. Last year we had a horrible start the first couple of games, losing when we coulda won, but i think it's do-able winning in GB and play a hell of a gam vs Indy
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

Ihatevikings is offline Training Camp

[quote author=Ihatevikings link=topic=44094.msg761427#msg761427 date=1208470735]

[/quote

Yep Dc im back!

gagarr is offline Team Alumni

How important to the season is the first game vs GB on MNF?

I know it's only one game in a 16 game season and all games statistically count the same.

that said, there are several reasons why I think this is the most important game of the season and could very well determine it.
    Especially if TJ has a good game.

1. Beating GB in GB is always a lift, especially to the fans
    2. GB is most likely the next best team in the NFCN and beating them will help in the Division
    3. TJ having a good game in a hostile environment will boost his confidence
    4. TJ winning a BIG game infront of a national audience, will prove he can what he hasn't yet done
    5. BIG MOMENTUM

I feel winning this game will really have a major impact on the young players like TJ, AD, Rice, AA, Greenway, etc.
    [size=12pt]
    Page 148.5 **Doleman 150.5 **Randle 137.5 **Allen 73+
    [/size]

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

I used to worry about the first couple of weeks but now I realize we won our first two games in 2006 and didn't make the playoffs while the Giants lost their first two games last season and all they did was win the superbowl.

I think we will beat both the Packers and Colts though.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Winning against the Pack would be a HUGE motivator for us... but just as important, it would be a HUGE moral destroyer for the Pack.

Doubt about whether or not they can contend without Fav-re is already on their minds.
    This would confirm their fears, and help send the Pack back to the cellar of the NFC north. ;D
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Mr-holland is offline Team Alumni

actually it's just the first game just like there will be 15 others
    Rosie O'Donnell is a dude!

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Mr-holland" wrote:
    actually it's just the first game just like there will be 15 others
    1 game can have an impact.

If the Vikings have a good showing and win against the Packers on MNF, it will help generate more excitement for the Vikings.
    More excitement means => ticket sales => more sellouts => louder crowds => higher moral for the team

Fans, IMHO, help drive the energy in a game, and does have an impact.

EDIT:
    This is one of the reasons I love football.
    One game means a lot, especially against a division opponent.
    Not like in baseball, hockey, or basketball.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast