Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    I brought my son to a game last year. Truthfully the language from fans around us was less of a concern then the noise itself. I tried to get him to wear ear plugs, they wouldn't stay in. Upper deck at the dome the speakers are right in your face, and with it enclosed, over time i don't doubt can have an adverse effect on his hearing. I took him at 3, he's 4 now but still too full of energy to stay in his seat, and not want to play in the aisles. 2 seasons ago i brought him to a twins game and we had seats in the 300 level. The people in the row in front of us actually moved/left when i threatened to spank my son.

I think that the notion of having to settle down because there are women near by is a bit outdated, this is not the 50's. However, it certainly helps when there are impressionable children around, impressionable defined as 3-6 years old, they will repeat almost everything they hear at one time or another.
    The ribbon is the 'Gulf War Ribbon'.
    SUPPORT OUR TROOPS!!

-I need a new liver. Please join us for a spaghetti dinner and silent auction benefit.
    -January 13, 2013 1-4.
    -$10 covers spaghetti, salad and bread.
    -Anoka American Legion.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxVike View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    It's amazing how many people are bashing on this kid because he was unhappy he didn't get to enjoy a game he saved and paid for.

I guess they have either forgotten how much they wished to go to their first Vikings game as a young boys, never have taken a kid to the game & had this happened or they had no interest in going to a game until they were old enough to drink.

When I go to a game, I expect to be able to watch & enjoy the game. I expect the same when I take my kids. I fully expect there will be drinking there, some drunks, swearing & people standing & cheering on third downs & after great plays.

I don't expect to have 5 or 6 guys from the row or two in front of me standing for the entire game blocking my or my kids view of the field & preventing us from watching & enjoying the game. It has happened in the past, but most games I've been to even the fans having plenty to drink have the common courtesy to sit down for the better part of the game so those behind them can enjoy the game too.

It seems acceptable & excepted to some fans here to have the fans in front of them being unruly, obnoxious, drunk & standing the entire game, but I'm guessing that perception changes once those fans in front of them aren't wearing Vikings jersey's, but rather Packer's jerseys.
    I'm definitely not bashing the kid. And, I completely agree with your points. In fact, one of my fondest memories was Dad taking me to a few Vikes games at the old Met.

I've been to games in 15 NFL cities, a dozen major colleges, Bowl games, Playoffs games, MBL games in a dozen cities (Reds fan), 3 Super Bowls, a BCS Championship game, 9 World Series games...etc. The most consistent experience is that the experiences are inconsistently enjoyable...a point I try to make to my daughters whenever we go.

On the opposite ends of the spectrum: I went to a MNF game at Lincoln Financial Field to watch the Vikes vs Eagles. Had awesome Club level tickets, a parking pass 50 yards from our gate, and we got to the game early to tailgate. I chose not to wear my Vikings jersey to this game, also, not to take my young daughters. I witnessed some of the most appalling behavior I've ever seen...to give a flavor...at the tailgate, right in front of us, a young father was wearing a Vikings hoodie, his 9 or 10 year-old son, a Randy Moss jersey. They were walking, being trailed by 6 or 8 Eagles fans pointing at them and chanting, "asshole, asshole, asshole." We confronted the posse, stopped them dead in their tracks and forced them to stand down. As Caine points out, too many people accept that behavior and just turn away. In the stadium, I witnessed countless Vikings fans being doused by beers and verbally ridiculed. Needless to say, I will never go to another game at the Linc...ever.

On the good end of the spectrum, I am a Nebraskan and have goon to roughly 30 Nebraska games in Lincoln. Our oldest daughter, 21, is a Sr now at Penn State. My wife, our youngest, 16, daughter, and I were in Happy Valley for the Indiana game this weekend. The two atmospheres (Lincoln and Happy Valley) are exactly what we would hope an NFL game would be for our kids...unfortunately, that ain't happening anytime soon. Both NU and PSU fan bases respect the game and their opponent. They both tailgate their asses off...it was going strong in Happy Valley all day and night. Our 16 year old daughter gave me a hug after the game and said, "thanks Dad, this was an awesome day. I can't wait to be a Penn State student."

I guess what I'm trying to say, and, admittedly, tried to joke a little about the letter...is, that, we, unfortunately, need to let young people know that they may experience some behavior that is exactly the opposite of how we will behave and exactly the opposite of the standard we hold ourselves to.

Caine's post, and, the experience yesterday with my family, reminded me as such.
    That' an impressive list of events you've been to max, wow!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by VKG4LFE View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    It's amazing how many people are bashing on this kid because he was unhappy he didn't get to enjoy a game he saved and paid for.

I guess they have either forgotten how much they wished to go to their first Vikings game as a young boys, never have taken a kid to the game & had this happened or they had no interest in going to a game until they were old enough to drink.

When I go to a game, I expect to be able to watch & enjoy the game. I expect the same when I take my kids. I fully expect there will be drinking there, some drunks, swearing & people standing & cheering on third downs & after great plays.

I don't expect to have 5 or 6 guys from the row or two in front of me standing for the entire game blocking my or my kids view of the field & preventing us from watching & enjoying the game. It has happened in the past, but most games I've been to even the fans having plenty to drink have the common courtesy to sit down for the better part of the game so those behind them can enjoy the game too.

It seems acceptable & excepted to some fans here to have the fans in front of them being unruly, obnoxious, drunk & standing the entire game, but I'm guessing that perception changes once those fans in front of them aren't wearing Vikings jersey's, but rather Packer's jerseys.
    I'm definitely not bashing the kid. And, I completely agree with your points. In fact, one of my fondest memories was Dad taking me to a few Vikes games at the old Met.

I've been to games in 15 NFL cities, a dozen major colleges, Bowl games, Playoffs games, MBL games in a dozen cities (Reds fan), 3 Super Bowls, a BCS Championship game, 9 World Series games...etc. The most consistent experience is that the experiences are inconsistently enjoyable...a point I try to make to my daughters whenever we go.

On the opposite ends of the spectrum: I went to a MNF game at Lincoln Financial Field to watch the Vikes vs Eagles. Had awesome Club level tickets, a parking pass 50 yards from our gate, and we got to the game early to tailgate. I chose not to wear my Vikings jersey to this game, also, not to take my young daughters. I witnessed some of the most appalling behavior I've ever seen...to give a flavor...at the tailgate, right in front of us, a young father was wearing a Vikings hoodie, his 9 or 10 year-old son, a Randy Moss jersey. They were walking, being trailed by 6 or 8 Eagles fans pointing at them and chanting, "asshole, asshole, asshole." We confronted the posse, stopped them dead in their tracks and forced them to stand down. As Caine points out, too many people accept that behavior and just turn away. In the stadium, I witnessed countless Vikings fans being doused by beers and verbally ridiculed. Needless to say, I will never go to another game at the Linc...ever.

On the good end of the spectrum, I am a Nebraskan and have goon to roughly 30 Nebraska games in Lincoln. Our oldest daughter, 21, is a Sr now at Penn State. My wife, our youngest, 16, daughter, and I were in Happy Valley for the Indiana game this weekend. The two atmospheres (Lincoln and Happy Valley) are exactly what we would hope an NFL game would be for our kids...unfortunately, that ain't happening anytime soon. Both NU and PSU fan bases respect the game and their opponent. They both tailgate their asses off...it was going strong in Happy Valley all day and night. Our 16 year old daughter gave me a hug after the game and said, "thanks Dad, this was an awesome day. I can't wait to be a Penn State student."

I guess what I'm trying to say, and, admittedly, tried to joke a little about the letter...is, that, we, unfortunately, need to let young people know that they may experience some behavior that is exactly the opposite of how we will behave and exactly the opposite of the standard we hold ourselves to.

Caine's post, and, the experience yesterday with my family, reminded me as such.
    That' an impressive list of events you've been to max, wow!
    Thanks bro. I am a fortunate man. As I get older, I appreciate the Game and sportsmanship more and more. I'm a Reds, Huskers, and Vikings fan...been through many ups and downs, and, enjoyed many Championships with my Huskers and Reds. Vikes' best chance IMHO, was in 98... That was almost as devastating to me as the Cowboys Hail Mary game.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

drakkar is offline Rookie
    Thanks bro. I am a fortunate man. As I get older, I appreciate the Game and sportsmanship more and more. I'm a Reds, Huskers, and Vikings fan...been through many ups and downs, and, enjoyed many Championships with my Huskers and Reds. Vikes' best chance IMHO, was in 98... That was almost as devastating to me as the Cowboys Hail Mary game.
    who would've thought 30 years ago Penn State/Nebraska would both be in the big 10..

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345