Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Our town has an NHLA team here - a bunch of young kids trying to get noticed by colleges - and my daughters and I attend the games once in awhile. It's a cheap night out, and the hockey is fast and fun.

Anyway. last night, a "fan" yells out a racial taunt towards the Official. It stopped me cold. I turned in absolute disbelief. I was AMAZED that idiots like this still existed. Apparantly, I wasn't alone, for a colored gentleman essentially told the idiot to sit down and shut up. Words were exchanged, and another guy and I jumped into it as well - verbally - telling the idiot to shut his mouth.

The POINT here is that this was ONE guy. ONE guy. And he essentially crapped all over everyone's night.

The score of the game no longer mattered. The hard work the guys put in was no longer significant. All anyone in that area will remember is ONE guy demonstrating how moronic he is for all to hear.

What the father of the 10 year old has to remember is he had a bad experience because of ONE small group of people. The Vikings can't control that. Nothing that was done is/was illegal. All Dad can do is explain to his son that there are people out there like that, but it isn't the fault of the Vikings.

In a way, I think it's sad that the father even wrote this letter. I'm not calling my local NHLA team and whining over the presence of an idiot. I used it as an object lesson to illustrate to my 13 year old twin daughters what a racist moron sounds like.

The point is don't blame the team for the actions of a few. Blame the few.

And, for the rest of us, stop tolerating the "few". If we all tell them to shut up and go away, they eventually will.

As a former Marine and Sailor, I put my ass on the line to defend your right to be a moron....

...but I reserve the right to kick yours if you are.

Caine
    Good post!

There are some stadiums that have too many idiots to tell this too. Just saying! But I do agree that we can make a difference with the idiots by promoting the right.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    If a guy wants to stand and cheer, and is in the way of someone who doesn't, tough luck IMO. They should stand up. People will be cheering, standing, jumping, yelling. As long as it's not something like Caine explained, there's no problem with it.
    If the time ever comes that you have a son or daughter that you take to a game & the opposing teams fans are standing & cheering in front of him all game because they're beating the Vikings & you're kid says, "Daddy, I can't see with them standing in front of me", I guess, based on your reply, you'll turn to him/her & say, "Tough shit! Stand up yourself & shut up & quit complaining."

Some dad.

You see, the perspective is quite different depending on if you're one of those drunk fans standing the whole game, discourteous/disrespectful to others behind you or if your a parent with a kid trying to give him the same great game day experiences you've have had.
    Last edited by singersp; 11-19-2012 at 05:12 AM.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach
    It's taken 30 years in the UK to try and stamp out this sort of behavior and we haven't reached the usually decent crowd atmosphere I experienced at the dome and at fedex.

Only this weekend during what is normally a very high pitched game between Spurs and Arsenal they introduced the text system of letting the security know there is an issue, something I saw in 2009 in the dome.

The issue you have is that if you let a few get away with it, more and more will. I know there will always be an element who are and always will be aholes but you'll always get that. Maybe instead of a family section there should be a "drunk incapable of presenting themselves as normal human beings" section. Stick em all in one place and let them get on with it as I would assume the majority go to watch a game and not the back of some drunken louts head.

Why should the fact that he got a cheaper seat mean he should have a worse experience, the guy is right; when all of us are too old or incapable of staying dry or more than 10 minutes this young man would be the fan keeping the team going, they should encourage that and discourage the idiots.
    Purple till i die

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    If the time ever comes that you have a son or daughter that you take to a game & the opposing teams fans are standing & cheering in front of him all game because they're beating the Vikings & you're kid says, "Daddy, I can't see with them standing in front of me", I guess, based on your reply, you'll turn to him/her & say, "Tough shit! Stand up yourself & shut up & quit complaining."

Some dad.

You see, the perspective is quite different depending on if you're one of those drunk fans standing the whole game, discourteous/disrespectful to others behind you or if your a parent with a kid trying to give him the same great game day experiences you've have had.
    Well, I give you a couple options.

Firstly, it's the freaking 2012 Vikings, I know you have missed a few games this year, b ut there are a LOT of empty seats. The kid/dad could move if people around them were too rowdy. They didn't.

They could ask a security guy to talk to the people. Usually if a guy in a big yellow jacket tells you to shut up, you shut up or you leave.

They probably said nothing to the person.

There will never be a stadium full of 63K people sitting politely clapping when there are good plays, and saying "aw shucks" when somethign bad happens. It's fricken football, not figure skating. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for kids going to games and having fun, but there needs to be reasonable expectations of the type of behaviour you're going to see. Like Caine said in his post, can be used as a learning experience as to what drunken assholes look like.

keystonevike is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Our town has an NHLA team here - a bunch of young kids trying to get noticed by colleges - and my daughters and I attend the games once in awhile. It's a cheap night out, and the hockey is fast and fun.

Anyway. last night, a "fan" yells out a racial taunt towards the Official. It stopped me cold. I turned in absolute disbelief. I was AMAZED that idiots like this still existed. Apparantly, I wasn't alone, for a colored gentleman essentially told the idiot to sit down and shut up. Words were exchanged, and another guy and I jumped into it as well - verbally - telling the idiot to shut his mouth.

The POINT here is that this was ONE guy. ONE guy. And he essentially crapped all over everyone's night.

The score of the game no longer mattered. The hard work the guys put in was no longer significant. All anyone in that area will remember is ONE guy demonstrating how moronic he is for all to hear.

What the father of the 10 year old has to remember is he had a bad experience because of ONE small group of people. The Vikings can't control that. Nothing that was done is/was illegal. All Dad can do is explain to his son that there are people out there like that, but it isn't the fault of the Vikings.

In a way, I think it's sad that the father even wrote this letter. I'm not calling my local NHLA team and whining over the presence of an idiot. I used it as an object lesson to illustrate to my 13 year old twin daughters what a racist moron sounds like.

The point is don't blame the team for the actions of a few. Blame the few.

And, for the rest of us, stop tolerating the "few". If we all tell them to shut up and go away, they eventually will.

As a former Marine and Sailor, I put my ass on the line to defend your right to be a moron....

...but I reserve the right to kick yours if you are.

Caine
    Well put.

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    I don't care if it's a ball game, a trip to the mall, a restaurant, or walking down the street. There is a basic level of civility that all people that have to interact with one another must adhere to. Vulgar language and aggressive behavior have no place at sporting events, or anywhere else for that matter. If teams want decent people to attend games fan behavior must be addressed. Safety is a huge concern and reigning the ruffians is a big and necessary step in that direction. The future of the fan base depends on kids and young folks, so management would do well to take heed. I yell just as loud as the next guy, but I'm also aware there are women and kids around so I don't hurl obscenities. Not that difficult to do. Anybody advocating rude behavior needs to get some class. I quit going to WVU games because our own fans are so rude and obnoxious I couldn't stand it.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by purplehelmut View Post
    I don't care if it's a ball game, a trip to the mall, a restaurant, or walking down the street. There is a basic level of civility that all people that have to interact with one another must adhere to. Vulgar language and aggressive behavior have no place at sporting events, or anywhere else for that matter. If teams want decent people to attend games fan behavior must be addressed. Safety is a huge concern and reigning the ruffians is a big and necessary step in that direction. The future of the fan base depends on kids and young folks, so management would do well to take heed. I yell just as loud as the next guy, but I'm also aware there are women and kids around so I don't hurl obscenities. Not that difficult to do. Anybody advocating rude behavior needs to get some class. I quit going to WVU games because our own fans are so rude and obnoxious I couldn't stand it.
    I agree with you - there is definitely a line. But rarely do I see fans at the Metrodome cross that line. That is one of the great things about Minnesota sports - at least right now.

I do hope that the Vikings continue to be proactive in this regard so that we never get to the point that some other stadiums are at. There are some stadiums that I wouldn't even go to myself, much less bring my kids. And that is sad.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    I've been to maybe 10 games in my life and I can only remember 1 bad experience with a fellow fan. It was an obnoxious Buccaneers fan. A big fat lady who stood up and cheered nearly every 1yd gain and every tackle by the Bucs. She wasn't drinking, she was just one of those fans. It didn't help that we looked like crap and lost 28-14, but I think she was just a bit over the top.

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach
    When I came over for the MNF game there was an issue with a guy and a woman in the row in front of me. Some guy was taking photos of everyone and everything (bit like me) and this woman got annoyed and said don't take my picture again, he tried to explain but she was having none of it, within minutes security were there called them both out and basically said play nice or leave you choose. Well handled and there were no more problems.

Like I said before over here there are stadiums I would never go to for example to wear a Portsmouth shirt to St Mary's in Southampton (20 miles away) would be like wearing a "I hate Philly" T shirt to an Eagles game. 100's of police keeping fanbases apart and being kept in the stadium for an hour after the game has finished so you be safely excorted to the train sation or the car park.

Whatever happens don't let this happen over there
    Purple till i die

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    It is sad that society in general condones intoxication in public stadiums. It is not part of the game of football nor part of being a fan.

That stated, it has not changed much from the times of gladiators in the Collosseum, and some rowdiness is to be expected. Standing up is to be expected. Yelling and cheering is to be expected.

I would hope that the NFL has not attracted the hooliganism of English soccer, but to expect a brew free and profanity free game while in the cheap seats is faulty logic and a rude awakening to some fans.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast