Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    kspurplepride is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: An Open Letter to the Viking Franchise.

QB has got to get Berrian the ball... he has 34 catches this season for 673 yards per game, and the longest average of any player with atleast 30 catches.

AD needs more touches not few... 17? 17? thats way to few. 20 should be minimum. If AD gets 20 touches we are almost guaranteed a 100 yards rushing each game... that'll open up the passing game

thats the problem right now, we got away from the two run and one pass play per four downs that was actually working for us. Teams aren't cheating up anymore because they aren't afraid of AD getting 30 touches most days that could lead to him hitting 150-300 yards in that game. This kid is special, hands down the best running back in the game, but Chilly is a conformist. He sits around during the week saying... look at the cardinals or the saints... lets pass more... that zone blocking looks fun, lets no longer maul defensive lines. Childress has shackled this run game, I'd stake my life savings that if Chiller had stuck with our run blocking scheme from last year AD would finish this season at or above 2000... not the 15-1600 he'll likely have.

as for the Jackson/Ferotte situation many of you will remember that I harshly critisized Chiller for benching Jackson. I though he played well in the second half of the Green Bay game, and wasn't horrid in the Colts game. I still believe that. But Gus regardless of what the numbers say puts a fire under that offense, and the team rallies around him. Berrian wouldn't have 30 catches if TJack was our QB, and we'd still be seeing 9-10 man fronts at the line of schrimmage. I am by no means defending Gus's play, but you have to take it with a grain of salt. The moment we go back to Jackson is the moment teams stop respecting the deep ball and were back to where we started. Gus is our quarterback, and Gus gives us the best chance to win. With Gus we would likely be 8-3 rather than 6-5 had he started the first two games.

As far as Taylor... he's filling his niche very well right now, and he suprisingly has a lot more yards both rushing, and recieving than one would expect.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

"kspurplepride" wrote:
    QB has got to get Berrian the ball... he has 34 catches this season for 673 yards per game, and the longest average of any player with atleast 30 catches.

AD needs more touches not few... 17? 17? thats way to few. 20 should be minimum. If AD gets 20 touches we are almost guaranteed a 100 yards rushing each game... that'll open up the passing game

thats the problem right now, we got away from the two run and one pass play per four downs that was actually working for us. Teams aren't cheating up anymore because they aren't afraid of AD getting 30 touches most days that could lead to him hitting 150-300 yards in that game. This kid is special, hands down the best running back in the game, but Chilly is a conformist. He sits around during the week saying... look at the cardinals or the saints... lets pass more... that zone blocking looks fun, lets no longer maul defensive lines. Childress has shackled this run game, I'd stake my life savings that if Chiller had stuck with our run blocking scheme from last year AD would finish this season at or above 2000... not the 15-1600 he'll likely have.

as for the Jackson/Ferotte situation many of you will remember that I harshly critisized Chiller for benching Jackson. I though he played well in the second half of the Green Bay game, and wasn't horrid in the Colts game. I still believe that. But Gus regardless of what the numbers say puts a fire under that offense, and the team rallies around him. Berrian wouldn't have 30 catches if TJack was our QB, and we'd still be seeing 9-10 man fronts at the line of schrimmage. I am by no means defending Gus's play, but you have to take it with a grain of salt. The moment we go back to Jackson is the moment teams stop respecting the deep ball and were back to where we started. Gus is our quarterback, and Gus gives us the best chance to win. With Gus we would likely be 8-3 rather than 6-5 had he started the first two games.

As far as Taylor... he's filling his niche very well right now, and he suprisingly has a lot more yards both rushing, and recieving than one would expect.
    Two small points. 1) I'm pretty sure we were using the zone blocking scheme last year, too. I could be wrong about this, but I believe that's the system Childress installed from the get-go.

2) As long as we're correcting the spelling of players' names here, it's Frerotte. You missed the first 'r'.

kspurplepride is offline Pro-Bowler

if it is infact the same scheme then we have regressed from last year.
    The scheme was more of a man to man blocking scheme, and there was a lot more depth interms of how far upfield our blockers got. I believe we changed to a zone blocking scheme this year, but I have been wrong in the past

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    I hope coach's do not listen to fans.
    Psssssshawwwww.

You know us fans know a hell of alot more than the coaches and owners.....
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

HEY!!!!
    We just got a reply to the open letter in the PPO Mail Box!!!!!!
    Here's what it says;

Dear Viking Fan,

Thank you for writing.
    I'd like to take a moment to respond to all of your questions.

No.

Sincerely,

Brad Childress

:-X

Caine

"NodakPaul" wrote:
    I can agree with that.
    I would like to see AD in on more passing plays.
    Part of me wonders why he isn't more involved... maybe it has something to do with what the coaches see in practice.
    Like Pass Protection/Blitz recognition.

Lets not forget that in most cases the RB has to help out if the blitz is coming and at least chip a bit before he gets into the route.

From there he has to figure out were the whole in the coverage will be based on the pre-snap read/adjustment.

Me thinks AD is still struggling with both aspects of that phase of his game and probably why CT has better production that AD in that regard.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Caine" wrote:
    HEY!!!!
    Here's what it says;

Dear Viking Fan,

Thank you for writing.

No.

Sincerely,

Brad Childress

Caine
    Funny, I thought the word "Yutz" would be fused into the reply somehow.
    : ;D

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    HEY!!!!
    Here's what it says;

Dear Viking Fan,

Thank you for writing.

No.

Sincerely,

Brad Childress

Caine
    lol... yeah, that letter was pretty OFF-Target!!!....

I know we probably don't have ALL the personnel but did anybody see the Saints/Packers game last night???
    MAN!!
    If we could somehow be anywhere near as creative as the saints were last night, our offense would be sick...

I mean, the play calling in that game last night by the saints was a thing of beauty!!... From the formations, the routes by the receivers.. Their offense yesterday was amazing to watch....

If we could even be half as creative as they were last night, we'd be a lot more dangerous.. Using the bunches of receivers to create mismatches and open up underneath routes then go up top was just masterful!!... And with relatively no-name receivers... i mean did any body know who Lance Moore was before this season??..

With that said, i think we are on the cusp... I'm just waiting for the light to turn on for some of these guys...

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    HEY!!!!
    Here's what it says;

Dear Viking Fan,

Thank you for writing.

No.

Sincerely,

Brad Childress

Caine

lol... yeah, that letter was pretty OFF-Target!!!....

I know we probably don't have ALL the personnel but did anybody see the Saints/Packers game last night???
    MAN!!
    If we could somehow be anywhere near as creative as the saints were last night, our offense would be sick...

I mean, the play calling in that game last night by the saints was a thing of beauty!!... From the formations, the routes by the receivers.. Their offense yesterday was amazing to watch....

If we could even be half as creative as they were last night, we'd be a lot more dangerous.. Using the bunches of receivers to create mismatches and open up underneath routes then go up top was just masterful!!... And with relatively no-name receivers... i mean did any body know who Lance Moore was before this season??..

With that said, i think we are on the cusp... I'm just waiting for the light to turn on for some of these guys...

Excellent observation my friend.

I think (hate to say it) that this staff can be that creative and we do have the players to pull it off with one exception.......We don't have a QB the caliber of Bree's to execute it.

Even though I like Gus as a good backup, he is just to imobile to try to do the stuff the Aints did last night.
    Hell, all the defense needs to do is sit back and watch him drop back a couple of series and they then know the spot to rush to.

All they have to do then is just change up their routes to the QB (Cross buck/Stunt/Bull rush etc) and he is toast regardless of how well our OLmen play.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    I hope coach's do not listen to fans.
    you mean we don't know what we're talking about???? damn knew there was something wrong all these years.... you sound just like my wife, she says I talk gibberish all the time
    ;D
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast