Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: An Open Letter to Minnesota Vikings Fans(Harvin)

"gatorsfirst" wrote:
    Hey guys, this is the author.
    Thanks for all the feedback!

I was just worried about the kind of reception Harin would get, not knowing if the average NFL fan had any idea that for his entire Gator career he was not only a once-in-a-lifetime talent, but NEVER a "character issue". I get tired of media types piling on the same storylines, and was trying to point out where they were wrong, or at least playing up a fairly minor incident.

And I always thought he'd be one of the candidates for the top pick when he left, sort of like Reggie Bush. He is that sort of talent, but more of a natural at receiver. Not sure what NFL fans think of Bush any more, as he exists in NO primarily for the swing pass, but I still think Percy makes the difference for a couple Viking W's this year, and he was definitetly a steal that low.

I'm no expert on NFL football, so I didn't want to put too much emphasis on how I project his talents... but I didn't want our man to start off on the wrong foot with the Minnesota folks. If the reason he slipped was "character issues", then no doubt you got a steal because those just aren't there.

Projecting college talents to the pros is always tough, so calling anyone a "lock" would be folly... however, I think he's a better player than damn near 20 of the people drafted above him.
    Point being, if it's his talent or transition to the pros being the question mark, that's one thing... but if the drop in the draft was because of the single failed drug test... you guys got really, really lucky.
    To the point that I wonder if Brad Childress lit up with him, to make sure they had a shot at him.

However he got to the Twin Cities, we're all rooting for him.

-James
    James - welcome to PPO.

Honestly, for me, the biggest strike against Harvin was testing positive at the combine.
    It's the biggest job interview of his life and he can't stay clean?
    That's a sign of a lack of intelligence and maturity.

However, he's our guy now, so I'm a big fan.
    I hope that Vikings' fans, however, realize that he is a rookie and so keeping expectations in-line with that is recommended.
    I'm always happier to be pleasantly surprised than horribly disappointed.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

vikesfan87 is offline Waterboy

We all know what happened the last time we drafted a guy with "character issues," don't we ladies and gentlemen? This offense needed some spice to go with Peterson and Harvin can (hopefully) provide that to us.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"vikesfan87" wrote:
    We all know what happened the last time we drafted a guy with "character issues," don't we ladies and gentlemen? This offense needed some spice to go with Peterson and Harvin can (hopefully) provide that to us.
    I don't know what happened.... did we win a Super Bowl?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

JellyBean2144 is offline Pro-Bowler

"MVIKING7" wrote:
    He's ok in my book, unless he screws up. Can't go by what if or maybe's. Let the guy prove or disprove himself before passing judgement. In my opinion, I think he'll be a keeper.
    Exactly. I will wait until the season starts before making any comments about Harvin.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I bought his jersey.
    That must mean something cause I've never wasted my money on a players jersey from that side of the ball yet.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"Marrdro" wrote:
    I bought his jersey.
    That must mean something cause I've never wasted my money on a players jersey from that side of the ball yet.
    You can always / 3 once you realize you love our newest QB ( Once he signs) ;D ;D

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Too bad for him his greatest fan is a nut job ready to be signed, sealed and delivered to the psych ward. He has some PR work to do.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    Too bad for him his greatest fan is a nut job ready to be signed, sealed and delivered to the psych ward. He has some PR work to do.
    You are referring to TW, not the gator guy that was in the opening post of this thread......
    correct?

For anyone that might have missed the meltdown thread, it could be difficult to figure out who you were talking about!

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"UffDaVikes" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    I bought his jersey.
    You can always / 3 once you realize you love our newest QB ( Once he signs) ;D ;D
    No way in hell I grow to love that cat.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Garland Greene is offline Jersey Retired

"gatorsfirst" wrote:
    Hey guys, this is the author.
    Thanks for all the feedback!

I was just worried about the kind of reception Harin would get, not knowing if the average NFL fan had any idea that for his entire Gator career he was not only a once-in-a-lifetime talent, but NEVER a "character issue". I get tired of media types piling on the same storylines, and was trying to point out where they were wrong, or at least playing up a fairly minor incident.

And I always thought he'd be one of the candidates for the top pick when he left, sort of like Reggie Bush. He is that sort of talent, but more of a natural at receiver. Not sure what NFL fans think of Bush any more, as he exists in NO primarily for the swing pass, but I still think Percy makes the difference for a couple Viking W's this year, and he was definitetly a steal that low.

I'm no expert on NFL football, so I didn't want to put too much emphasis on how I project his talents... but I didn't want our man to start off on the wrong foot with the Minnesota folks. If the reason he slipped was "character issues", then no doubt you got a steal because those just aren't there.

Projecting college talents to the pros is always tough, so calling anyone a "lock" would be folly... however, I think he's a better player than damn near 20 of the people drafted above him.
    Point being, if it's his talent or transition to the pros being the question mark, that's one thing... but if the drop in the draft was because of the single failed drug test... you guys got really, really lucky.
    To the point that I wonder if Brad Childress lit up with him, to make sure they had a shot at him.

However he got to the Twin Cities, we're all rooting for him.

-James
    Sorry IO missed your post. Welcome and I am glad you came. I have had some concerns but I can say that i am very excited about having him here, Snd I think he will be great!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast