Page 1 of 15 123 11 ... LastLast
    nsavarirayan is offline Rookie

Onterrio and NFL Hypocrisy

God I just read how Sean Taylor will be playing in 2005 beacause his court date will most likely be after the 2005 season.

What irks me is the fact that the NFL nor the Redskins will give this guy even a one game suspension. So what did Onterrio do - he smoked a little reefer. In my opinion I would rather have him doing that then doing what other players do which is get real drunk and slap their wives around - oh but the NFL is ok with that - no suspensions for beating your wife!

And Taylor punches a guy and then pull\se out a gun on someone else - and this is after he has had a drunk driving charge. Nice message by the NFL - wife beaters and persons involved in assault and murder are fine to play in the NFL and will even be glorified like Ray Lewis. But some a little weed in the offseason and you are the devil :evil: !

And the feds have to ban weed for terminal patients. Ok you have brain Cancer are in horrible pain and may only have a few years left - well thats too bad cuz we will bust your ass if you try to make yourself feel better with some pot. This country looks like it is going backwords instead of forwards.

Del Rio Guest

Re: Onterrio and NFL Hypocrisy

The thing is Onterio got busted three times!! More then that if you include college. He had a fair share of warnings.

Ray Lewis went to Jail for a little bit. Even Jamal Lewis went to jail. Taylor was charged, Ahman Green was delt with through the legal system.

The policy is really about putting something into your body. Like a drug to help you play better, only I think since Weed is illegal they through that in there. Just like cocaine, and any other illegal drug. It's a substance abuse policy.

Players that break the law are usually fined or suspended a game by the team, if the league doesn't think it was harsh enough they will add their two cents. But the team gets first crack.

Alcohol would be too hard to monitor. A lot of people drink casually, no harm in that it's not against the law, it sounds like your real problem lies with the fact that Marijuana is not a legal substance.

I personally am glad it isn't.

Obviously weed is not going to improve your game. Yes he had three strikes against him. And regardless of your opinion of it, it is much better than the evils of Alcohol - do some research on the topic and you will learn much about it. I obviously don't want to turn this into a debate about the legality of the substance, but I still stand by my initial argument and I know many others agree with me. Especially those who know that weed is not a big deal and should not be included on the substance abuse policy. Keep it to the hard drugs and steriod type drugs. Weed is not a big deal and why so many people think its horribly bad is beyond me. I am not trying to advocate it, I think if you want to be truly healthy you should not drink or smoke. But if you go out and drink or get drunk then you are a hypocrite if you condemn pot.

Prophet Guest

I like to walk around naked and I don't think it hurts anyone or my own body in any way. Sometimes it gets a little cold. My former employer did not agree with me. I wish they would change the laws.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"nsavarirayan" wrote:
    God I just read how Sean Taylor will be playing in 2005 beacause his court date will most likely be after the 2005 season.

What irks me is the fact that the NFL nor the Redskins will give this guy even a one game suspension. So what did Onterrio do - he smoked a little reefer. In my opinion I would rather have him doing that then doing what other players do which is get real drunk and slap their wives around - oh but the NFL is ok with that - no suspensions for beating your wife!

And Taylor punches a guy and then pull\se out a gun on someone else - and this is after he has had a drunk driving charge. Nice message by the NFL - wife beaters and persons involved in assault and murder are fine to play in the NFL and will even be glorified like Ray Lewis. But some a little weed in the offseason and you are the devil :evil: !

And the feds have to ban weed for terminal patients. Ok you have brain Cancer are in horrible pain and may only have a few years left - well thats too bad cuz we will bust your jiggly butt if you try to make yourself feel better with some pot. This country looks like it is going backwords instead of forwards.
    Remember to send a letter to your President and Congress for all that...YOU WILL LIVE YOUR LIFE AS THEY SEE FIT...but do not try to mess with their supporters' ability to fleece the public!!!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Del Rio Guest

I wont debate it with you either because it is simple. It is ILLEGAL. The league cannot say GO AHEAD USE WEED......because it is AGAINST THE LAW.....so your problem lies with the United States first the NFL second.

And I do know more about it then I want to know. Thanks to a family member. I also know what it can do to your brain after extensive use. I have heard all the arguments, I have attended NA with my brother as well. Tyring to justify the greatness and the safety of weed is wasted on me. I have seen and experienced weed gone bad first hand.

I don't know why smoking cigarettes is legal, I guess for one it doesn't alter your mind, definately destroys your lungs, and weed can damage your lungs too in fact weed smokers inhale up to 3 times more tar and carbon monoxide but yeah tabacco is worse for you mainly because of all the crap they put into it. So who knows why you can smoke cigs. But weed also damages your brain by the way the THC reacts with your hippocampus the part of your brain that is used for learning, and memory. Alchohol obviously does, and they tried to ban it and prohibition, but it essentially created the mobs. No answers for you here, from me. Other then the league will not allow an illegal substance to be used.PERIOD. So there really is no discussion to be had.

I am not syaing the NFL can or should change the law - it is indeed up to the feds. I am simply venting frustration as I see it - just like i do with many other political decisions i don't agree with like banning stem cell research.

I would be curious to hear your story of the weed gone bad. Obvioulsy you had a family member involved with it in a bad way and I respect that and won't comment on what may have happened. But we all know that alcohol can be just as easily abused as can almost anything including junk food, cigs, etc. But used reposnsibly it will do no more harm than alcohol or cigs.

gotta say i sorta agree with nsavarirayan (do your friends just call you nsav for short)? i say sorta 'cause i'm okay with banning folks for substance abuse, i just want them to start punishing the other crimes more rigorously. domestic violence, drug dealing, firing weapons (in an illegal manner), drunk driving...these are bad things. i'd say it's worse to be a drug dealer than a pot-smoker...and the nfl treats being a drug dealer as less of a crime...jamal lewis was suspended 2 games for a friggin' federal charge!! he's already had a 4 game suspension for drugs. conspiring to sell drugs should definitely be considered his third offense (yeah, i know, he plea bargained down to obstructing justice, but still shouldn't obstructing justice in a drug case be worse than toking?).

Del Rio Guest

Like I said I think it is just a blanket policy. They do not police everything all their athletes do.

How do they go about writting a dicipline plan for every illegal activity one could do. And as an employer you need some sort of standard. Plus cases like that are up to a court of law. Maybe they should take action if they are found guilty. But they in no way have any responsibility to police that.

The drug policy however, they conduct the tests they are there and there is no room for interpretation or digging through media portrayals to find the truth. You pissed in a cup and it says here your doing drugs.

Ask yourself this, O.Smith gets his third strike he's gone....he wasn't that big of a deal for them cash flow wise......R. Williams gets his third strike and they boot him, he was a cash cow for them. The drug plan is consistent.

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

Even if weed were legal, I would still want the NFL to enforce no smoking of the reefer among players. The league also has to protect its "our players are role models" status. You can't have players smoking and playing. It sends a horrible message to the whole country. Also, the great quality of play we have in the NFL would decrease dramatically. We lost Onterrio for the year, but that is a lot better than wasting money and a roster spot occupied by a pothead who will lose the starting RB position simply because he is smoking weed.

Imagine kids, who love and try to grow up to be like these people. All of a sudden they think, "Oh I can be a good football player and smoke pot." or even worse, "Maybe pot will help me to become a better football player." It sounds dumb but a child is easily capable of having these thoughts even though they are completely wrong.

I feel if you want to smoke pot, go ahead and do it, knowing the consequences. If the feeling you get is worth the risk you take, fine. However, if you want to play football as well; you need to reconsider your priorities. I have nothing against reefer-smokers, but I am certainly against anything that would detract from the great quality of play the NFL has acheived.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Page 1 of 15 123 11 ... LastLast