Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    YogidAbEAR is offline Star Spokesman

Onterio Smith update.

[size=18px]Ex-Vikings rusher next Blue whiz kid?[/size]
    Winnipeg Free Press

Fri Apr 28 2006

By Ed Tait

TALENTED but troubled ex-NFL running back Onterrio Smith, dumped this week by the Minnesota Vikings, is looking for a new football home.
    The Winnipeg Blue Bombers might be willing to oblige. CFL sources confirmed last night the Bombers placed Smith on their negotiation list within hours of his release by the Vikings.

"According to his agent, (Smith) wants to play in the CFL this year," said a rival CFL executive.

Smith, 25, still has six weeks left on his one-year suspension for violating the NFL's drug policy, but the CFL has often been a haven for bad boys seeking to clean up their act. Just this week, Toronto put Miami Dolphins running back Ricky Williams on their negotiation list after he was deemed ineligible to play in the NFL this season.

A former fourth-round NFL draft pick in '03, Smith became the Vikes' starting tailback late in his rookie season. Despite serving a four-game suspension a year later, he still managed to lead Minnesota in rushing.

He was the leading candidate to be the Vikings' feature back last year before an infamous incident in which he was caught at the Minneapolis airport with The Original Whizzinator, a device that includes a fake penis and is designed to beat drug tests. Smith claimed the kit was for his cousin and wasn't charged by police, but a month later he received his third suspension for substance abuse.

NEW BLUE BLOOD: The Bombers announced the addition of two prospects yesterday they hope will push for work this season.

Linebacker Donny Green (6-foot-2, 240, Virginia) had NFL stints with Washington, Jacksonville and San Diego and was in Atlanta's camp last year.

Wide receiver Quentin McCord (5-foot-10, 190, Kentucky) finished his college career with 112 catches for 1,743 yards and 15 touchdowns in 39 games before being a seventh-round pick of the Falcons in 2001. He was most recently in the camp of the Arena Football League's Georgia Force.

[email protected]

what this basically means is that the bombers have claimed his negotiation rights, which means the bombers have the exclusive chance to negotiate a contract with him. IMO winnipeg already has the best RB in the league and the best backfield in the league, but with smith it would only get better. i wouldn't be too suprised if he doesn't get picked up by another NFL team, and the AFL isn't a rushers league. CFL=bigger field which means more laateral space to play with. i hope he lands in winnipeg

boognish is offline Coordinator

Re: Onterio Smith update.

Hard to believe he's fallen that far from grace. It seems as though the League extended his suspension for some reason; who knows for how long. I assumed some NFL team would pick him up for cheap and plug him in, but I guess not, which leads me to believe that his suspension may be indefinite.

Relegated to the CFL, how embarrassing!! ops:
    I am a dipshit!!!

Slade is offline Star Spokesman

GO Canada!! I heard Ricky Williams might go to the CFL too

ricky williams is still a member of the dolphins he's just suspended, so legally he can't sign in the CFL. it was just a PR move for the team who added him to their neg list.

Lando is offline Rookie

Sorry, but the Bummers do NOT have the best backfield or RB in the league.

last time i checked Charles roberts is by FAR the best RB in the league and despite the bombers not having the best FB, they have a really good FB, which makes them have the best backfield by far, no compition. tell me who is better then the bombers?

olson_10 is offline Ring of Fame

Roberts is already the best, but Smith will be much better and will surely take his place as RB in our offense
    People who see life as anything more than pure entertainment are missing the point.

they'd probably run a dual back system, with roberts occasionally lining up at SB kinda like stokes last year, but still getting carries.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

"YogidAbEAR" wrote:
    last time i checked Charles roberts is by FAR the best RB in the league and despite the bombers not having the best FB, they have a really good FB, which makes them have the best backfield by far, no compition. tell me who is better then the bombers?
    Are you serious? Roberts is good, but Joffrey Reynolds is a much more balanced back. Roberts has no power game. The only reason Roberts puts up stats is because he is the only good player on the Winnipeg Offense.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

despite his size roberts does have a decent power game. he can drag defencive lineman down field, which is mindboggling considering charlie weights maybe 160 and the d-line probably weighs 280+.

ps, winnipeg has a very good offence, Glenn put up superb numbers if you look at the team he was playing on, 2/3 top TD scorers were bombers, and the o-line had the 2nd or 3rd fewest sacks in the league. i call that a real good offence.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast