Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    little redhead is offline Asst. Coach

onterio smith gets repreive

According to a release on KFAN this afternoon it looks like Onterrio will be available for the Houston game. It says it looks like the league won't hear his appeal until wednesday instead of the Tuesday which was the original day set and that it looks like this one day difference will make him available for the Houston game. Not sure why one day difference would change the outcome of why he could or could not be avaiable for the next game but anyways I guess that would be good new considering it is Michael Bennet's first game back. If Michael really can't get into a rythm then they always have Onterrio to fall back on for one game anyway.

Del Rio Guest

I think with this huge delay he should just be cleared to play. How long after the crime is it just to punish?

Interesting scenerio though for the houston game. RB depth just improved dramatically.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

This is the article from Kfan, It would be great if we could have him split time with Bennett for a game and get Bennett back into it slowely!!

Also it looks like Birk might be back for the Houston game!!!
    :thumbright: :thumbleft:

Smith likely to play another game
    Last Update: 9/30/2004 4:22:36 PM

Tom Pelissero
    KFAN dot com

EDEN PRAIRIE – The NFL won't hear Onterrio Smith’s appeal of his four-game suspension until Wednesday, which likely will allow the running back to play in the Vikings’ next game Oct. 10 at Houston.

Smith’s agent, Doug Hendrickson, confirmed the hearing date Thursday afternoon. There is no set timetable for ruling on the appeal, Hendrickson said, so Smith could remain eligible for the Vikings’ next game.

Delaying Smith's suspension an extra week would push back his ban through Minnesota's game at Indianapolis on Nov. 8.

The league generally informs teams of any changes in a player’s status by 4 p.m. Eastern on the Monday before a game, although that policy isn't unbreakable, according to league spokesman Greg Aiello.

Aiello said the league generally needs at least two days after a hearing to rule, and it is "very unlikely" that a player would be suspended on a Thursday or Friday for that weekend's game.

Smith, a second-year back out of Oregon, reportedly tested positive for marijuana during training camp in August. He had at least one prior positive test since he entered the league last season.

Although Smith was informed of the decision in the third week of August, the league was unable to immediately reconvene its disciplinary board to hear the player’s appeal.

Smith has racked up 421 combined net yards in three games, starting two in place of injured starter Michael Bennett. Smith leads the Vikings in carries (42), rushing yards (198) and receiving yards (223); has the longest run (38) and catch (63) from scrimmage; and is second in receptions (15) and yards per catch (14.9).

Bennett, out since Aug. 27 with a sprained knee, is expected to return against Houston.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

bigdogbovy is offline Asst. Coach

Actually having smith for the Houston game is bad. Like we need him to beat houston, if he is in for the houston game then his suspension will extend to over our Indy game. Immagine what the 1-2 punch of Smith - Bennet can do to that Defense, particularly if it hasn't been seen before!!
    de43540278a8c8500baf55c07109eb7e

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

I would rather have him sit the Houston game and be back for week nine. Bennett has been healthy for awhile. He was practicing last week.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

It looks like we don't have much choice in the matter, much like the season ending injuries to some of the key players this year. The Vikes will just have to go with what they have and make the offense click...actually, having Moe back may be more important in that he can help punch the ball into the end zone more effectively...scoring TDs is the big problem, not offensive production.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

4 Weeks out of football and come back and make an impact in the idni game, very doubtfull, not practicing and not bein hit for 4 weeks he will be eased back into the system. I cant really see him go off for 200 yards of total O. I would rather see him play this week so him and bennett can share cares to get bennetts feet wet. Bennett hasnt played ball for several weeks, but i would like to see him get some carries to ease his way back, it would be good to have onterrio so bennett doesnt have to carry the load after not playing for several weeks.

We have moe but i like to have the explosiveness. It would be nice to have onterrio for the up coming game, not nice but great especailly on the road.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

The Vikes get to unleash all four RBs on the opposing D for the first time this regular season...woo hoo! They won't know what hit 'em.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

little redhead is offline Asst. Coach

I guess I didn't look at it that far out to see what games it would effect if he got one more game in before the suspension. It would be good to have him for Indy but maybe Michael will be in his ryhthm by then and chewing up defenders who knows. I guess we really don't get to decide though so I guess we will just have to deal with it which ever way we can. I guess I was thinking it would be nice to have him this first game Michael is back since he has been out so long maybe it will take him a while to get back into the swing of things and Onterrio will be needed. I know it is only Houston but you can't write anyone off how would you feel if we lost to them and it was because our running game sucked I know usually one component doesn't usually equal a whole loss but anyway just using it to make a positive point for Smith being in this game.

HarrisonB57 is offline Starter

I think vikingstw has a good point. If we do have onterrio, we probably should just play him most of the game and let Bennett get used to playing full speed again. Plus if onterrio gets hurt during the game, he would have a few weeks to rest up.
    Live by the Slacker Rule. No Hurries, No Worries.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast