Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: One Year Later

OaklandVike is offline Rookie

Re: One Year Later

"DEVIKINGFAN!" wrote:
    Talk of Moss going HOF is still premature, if he ends up doing a few more years with numbers like last year, he's no shoe-in. What he will need is a super bowl win or a jump back into the spotlight with great numbers (wont happen unless the raiders get a QB)
    I respectfully disagree. You said a few more years like last year (60 receptions, 1005 yards, 8 tds) and he's no shoe in. 3 more years like that would put him in the top 10 in all three of those categories alltime. In fact, he would likely be in the top 5 for yards and td's.

ItalianStallion is offline Jersey Retired

Moss is clearly a HOF lock. He has better numbers than most receivers in there and he isn't even 30.

I m like a Ja Rule poster, cause I'm off the wall.

Prophet Guest

I'll go with Birk's analysis of the Moss situation. Many of us speculated that line of reasoning. Interesting to hear a team-mates perspective.

Part 1 & 2 interview with Matt Birk conducted by Mike Florio of pft.com

PFT: It's been a year since Randy Moss was traded. Good move, bad move, or still too early to tell?

Birk: I think it was a good move for everybody. I think it was a good move for Randy, I think it was a good move for us. I think that for seven years we tried to make it work and it was one of those relationships that had a lot of ups and downs. In the end, I just don't know if Randy kind of felt like he had given everything he could to the organization and the organization felt that it had gone as far as it could with Randy Moss being "the guy" here. It was time to go in different directions. Poor Troy Williamson. He's always gonna be known as the guy that basically we drafted to replace Randy Moss. I think that no matter what kind of career Troy ends up having -- and I think it's going to be very good -- I think that it was a good move just because Randy was the man here, the identity of the team, and the leader. He stayed for seven years, he gave it a try, and it didn't produce a championship, so it was time to go a different way.

PFT: You came in the door the same time Randy Moss did. Did you ever sense that there was a double standard with him?

Birk: At some point. Most times people asked me, "What do you think of Randy Moss?" You know, I loved playing with him. But there were some times I think that he just would not think about what was best for the team, and I think he let his frustrations get the better of him some times. He would do things that would hurt the team, do things that other guys on the team would get asked about, so then we'd have to try to explain his actions. And he also put coaches in a tough situation by almost kind of daring them to discipline him. He's a great player, great talent. I think given the right situation, he could get an opportunity to be on a team that wins a championship. I think he probably looks back on his seven years in Minnesota and probably wishes he would have done some things differently. I mean, when I watched the Raiders play this year, I was rooting for him to see him break a big one and do what he does.

PFT: Was the notion that different rules applied to him something that was there both when Dennis Green was the head coach and when Mike Tice was the head coach?

Birk: I think he was different when he first came into the league, just from what I observed. He felt like he was slighted in the draft, and felt like he really had to prove himself. I think for the most part early in his career people were kind of expecting him to be the troublemaker, and I think that Randy gets a kick out of doing what people don't think he'll do. So for the first part of his career he basically tried to stay on the straight and narrow. After that, there were some times when the media or whoever would try to bait him to say stuff. The last couple years n Minnesota, he was frustrated and I think he said some things, did some things that he probably shouldn't have done. It probably didn't help him out, didn't help the team out, didn't help out Mike Tice. It kind of put Coach Tice in a tough situation. Our former owner Red McCombs, a couple of times he sided with Randy.

PFT: You think Tice wanted to get him out of there? That Tice thought he'd have a better chance of solidifying his hold on the team if Moss wasn't there to dilute the message?

Birk: Yeah, I mean when you're talking about "the guy" on your team and he walks off the field the before the game is over. Did it matter in the outcome? No. But you can't have your top guy doing that. Tom Brady wouldn't walk off the field.

gregair13 is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    Moss is clearly a HOF lock. He has better numbers than most receivers in there and he isn't even 30.
    he is going to need a superbowl and he isnt going to get that as a raider... maybe he will come back to us some day. that would be nice of him.
    We're bringing purple back.

FedjeViking is offline Ring of Fame

"gregair13" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    he is going to need a superbowl and he isnt going to get that as a raider... maybe he will come back to us some day. that would be nice of him.
    Maybe he will, BJ did!
    [move]"Our day WILL come!! I just hope I LIVE long enough to see it!"[/move]

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired

"OaklandVike" wrote:
    "DEVIKINGFAN!" wrote:
    Talk of Moss going HOF is still premature, if he ends up doing a few more years with numbers like last year, he's no shoe-in. What he will need is a super bowl win or a jump back into the spotlight with great numbers (wont happen unless the raiders get a QB)
    I respectfully disagree. You said a few more years like last year (60 receptions, 1005 yards, 8 tds) and he's no shoe in. 3 more years like that would put him in the top 10 in all three of those categories alltime. In fact, he would likely be in the top 5 for yards and td's.
    Good point on the stats. He was injured last year and still put up 1005 yds.

3 more years looks like this
    3015 yds
    180 rec
    24 tds

I predict that he will produce more than that.

"gregair13" wrote:
    "ItalianStallion" wrote:
    I don't think in his case it will take a superbowl. He just needs to put up a few more numbers in the stats column. It also depends on how he conducts himself personally whether or not he makes first ballot.

Among the league's all-time top 50
    Receptions: 32t needs approx. 192 rec to make top ten.
    Receiving yards: 24 needs approx. 2942 yds to make top ten.
    Receiving TDs: 8 already there
    Rush/Receive TDs: 19 needs approx. 32 tds to make top ten and surpass CC.

I tried to take into account that Harrison, TO, and Jimmy and Rod Smith will be approaching the top ten also. Also, Keenan McCardell is up there in some of the categories also. Randy is in contention for all these categories, three of these other guys are spectator in a few categories compared to Moss and Harrison.

Any comments??

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"ItalianStallion" wrote:
    That's right!

Plus if Gale Sayers gets in with only 4 years of spectacular play, then Randy gets in with his years of spectacular play as well!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Will go in the HOF, but not as a Raider.Not as a Viking either. Will go in as Randy Moss. We don't know where his career will still take him and in the NFL HOF , you don't go in as a member of a certain team like in baseball, where the player has a team cap on.In the NFL HOF, the players don't have a cap,jersey, etc... of a particular team on their busts..They have a plaque under their bust which states all the teams he played for and during what years. Look at Warren Moon, remembered as a Oiler, yes. But if you go on the NFL's HOF website and look up Warren Moon, you'll see he's listed as a Viking too, not just as an Oiler.
    I ll be dead and cold before I m green and gold

Thanks to PPE for sig

"vikesoto" wrote:
    Will go in the HOF, but not as a Raider.Not as a Viking either. Will go in as Randy Moss. We don't know where his career will still take him and in the NFL HOF , you don't go in as a member of a certain team like in baseball, where the player has a team cap on.In the NFL HOF, the players don't have a cap,jersey, etc... of a particular team on their busts..They have a plaque under their bust which states all the teams he played for and during what years. Look at Warren Moon, remembered as a Oiler, yes. But if you go on the NFL's HOF website and look up Warren Moon, you'll see he's listed as a Viking too, not just as an Oiler.
    Good point!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast