Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Moss Apologist is offline Waterboy

One Post Wonder . . . probably

As both my user name and the title of this thread may indicate, I am a Randy Moss supporter and don't plan on staying here long . . . and I'm not trying to hide either of these truths.

If you got past that blurb without quitting the thread, thank you.
    You may asking yourself, why should I read this rant by a random seventeen year old kid on the internet?
    Let me assure you, as arrogant as it may sound, that I am wise beyond my years and a surprisingly analytical follower of this team.
    Agree with me or not, I think you'll find a lot of what I have to say interesting, and if not, I'm sorry for wasting your time.

I am a long time browser of P.P, and let me assure you that while there's no question Moss will always be my favorite player, I am a Minnesota Vikings fan first and foremost.
    It's not as if I suddenly became a Raider fan when he moved west, although I did wish the best of luck to him.
    Obviously, it didn't work out that way.

Now, before you further stereotype me (or rather, I further stereotype myself), I was a dedicated fan prior to the '98 season.
    But, it doesn't a take a mathematical whiz to understand that I was young.
    The '98 season and everything associated with it is very nostalgic to me.
    Not only was the season great for the team, but those were happier times in my life as well.
    Much in the same way that an old school gamer will forever adore his SNES, I have an emotional attatchment to that team and its players.
    It was the year I became a fanatic.
    I have been one ever since.

Long story short, this team has been abysmal to watch the last two seasons.
    Yes, I am very much speaking from the selfish perspective of a fan.
    Is that so bad?
    Is it unreasonable to expect to enjoy watching your team play?
    It would be one thing if we were a serious contender, but the Minnesota Vikings in the post Moss era have been every bit as much of a disappointment.
    What am I saying?
    That if we're going to be a mediocre team, I'd rather have doing it!
    The '98-'04 Vikings were FUN!
    And there were some pretty good teams in there too--'98, '99, '00, '03, and '04 were all great years.
    Four playoff births, two NFC championship games, and lots of excitement.

It has been strange watching this team undergo such an abrupt and radical transformation the last two years.
    I must admit, I have taken a great deal of pride in our defense.
    I truly believe they're better than their 31st ranked pass defense would indicate.
    They play with a lot of heart.
    I felt genuinely bad this season for guys like Antione Winfield, Phat Pat, Darren Sharper, and even Mewelde Moore (who has become somewhat of a person favie--the way he'll fight to extend drives on third down).
    These are players who have made wonderful contributions . . . they were lured to Minnesota by competent offense and the prospect of winning.
    Now they're stuck in a franchise deeply rooted into coming up short; though I am young, I have seen my fair share of misery in the last decade--the loss in the '98 championship game, the debacle in the 2000 championship game, being knocked out of the playoffs by the worst team in the NFL after a 6-0 start in 2003.
    The fact this franchise has managed to lose four superbowls speaks volumes.
    I don't believe in superstition, but if I did, the Minnesota Vikings serve as rather convincing proof.

Anyway, with that aside, I've recently been given hope by speculation that the Vikings may look into bringing Randy Moss back to Minnesota.
    I don't wish to be lectured on the feasibility of it, just let me hope until we know for sure . . . I'm trying to remain even keeled about it.
    Beyond being a fanboys dream come true, I truly believe this is a deal that makes a ton of sense.

Randy has lost a step.
    He's no longer the super freak.
    Ironically, it is that very fact that may give us a shot at getting him back.
    He hasn't worked out in Oakland.
    However, I'm stilling to bet he has some gas left.
    He's only 30.
    Other big time wideouts like Marvin Harrison and Terrell Owens still produce.
    He just needs to be in the right system.
    I say we deal Troy Williamson (whom I think we can all agree, despite his "potential" is atrocious, a low grade starter--possibly Napo--we're getting Chad Greenway back next year--and a midround draft pick.)
    It's a deal that is great for both the player and the team.
    With the great WRs we've had in Minnesota over the last decade, we've taken for granted just how important they are.
    The lack of big time play maker has killed our offense.
    Hopefully Moss can still fill that role and aid in the development of Tarvaris Jackson (whom I truly believe we should have turned to earlier in the year).
    Moss, at anywhere near his old form, will make defenses respect the pass, thereby benefiting the run.
    Work Jermaine Wiggens back into the offense, consider that the line has been playing together for a year now and is packed with talent, throw in a scrambling QB of the future, and, suddenly, you have something to work with on offense!

Also, consider that the Vikings never sent out a competent defense during the Moss era.
    Now we have that.
    I really like the potential.
    We could be dangerous on both sides of the ball.
    Finally, I must admit, I want to give Randy, as a player, a chance to ressurect his career.
    I do feel bad for him.
    I don't think he's as big of a jerk as say, Terrell Owens.
    His fall from stardom was depressing to me.
    I've always considered him a great talent--stats don't tell the whole story.
    I've seen him make so many amazing plays over the year, but now he's gone from a first ballot HOF to a washed up has been, never winning a SB, and forgotten forever.

Am I an idealist?
    Yes.
    Do I have the insight and connections within the organization to know how to run one effectively?
    No.
    Am I just a frustrated fan posting their fanboy dreams on the internet?
    Sure.
    But it is my right to do so damnit!
    Let me dream!

I have other ramblings to cover, but I'll be glad if 10% of you read this far.
    Thank you.
    I hope you enjoyed it.

2beersTommy is offline Team Alumni

Re: One Post Wonder . . . probably

thats gotta be the longest 1st post ever..

mblack76 is offline Pro-Bowler

I enjoyed every bit of it. What a wonderful write up!

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

a low grade starter--possibly Napo--

The only thing I want to add is that we can't trade Harris he is an unrestricted FA and we would have to sign him before we could trade him.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Moss" wrote:
    I say we deal Troy Williamson (whom I think we can all agree, despite his "potential" is atrocious, a low grade starter--possibly Napo--we're getting Chad Greenway back next year--and a midround draft pick.)

*snip*

Thank you.
    I hope you enjoyed it.
    Welcome.
    Nice Wall o' Text to get started!
    I read every word.

The thing you must always ask yourself when pondering potential deals is - if we know Troy Williamson is a stiff, won't the Raiders (or any other team) also know that?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

mblack76 is offline Pro-Bowler

"AWZeus" wrote:
    "Moss" wrote:

*snip*

Thank you.
    I hope you enjoyed it.
    Welcome.
    Nice Wall o' Text to get started!
    I read every word.

The thing you must always ask yourself when pondering potential deals is - if we know Troy Williamson is a stiff, won't the Raiders (or any other team) also know that?

=Z=
    There is always a 'fool' out there and only time will tell who the fool is. We would be 'foolish' to trade T Will (if he turns out to be a great player elsewhere) just like the team that trades for him would be foolish to get him if he does not get better. You never know

BloodyHorns82 is offline Jersey Retired Feed The Frog Champion

Why not stick around and post more often?
    Thats one helluva first post man.
    I wouldn't mind seeing Moss play here again.
    The odds of that happening are closer to dreamlike than reality based, but so be it.
    The old days of Moss are almost certainly gone, but maybe he could draw more attention to the pass, grabbing a touchdown here or there while he is at it.
    Who knows.

VikesfaninWis is offline Jersey Retired

Just to let you know, I read the whole thing.. It was a very good, very well layed out post.. I will agree with you on that I like Randy Moss very much as well.. I also think that the office personell would be foolish to not get him back if it only costed us a 3rd rd pick..

Facts are facts.. The facts are that we had a top notch offense when Moss was here.. Right after he left, it went downhill.. People here can amke the argument that Culpepper and Moss made each other.. Culpepper did absolutely nothing without Moss the year after he left, but still had decent recievers to get the ball to.. Moss didn't do much in Oakland either, but he had terrible QB's there and nobody on offense had good years..

I also agree that having Moss back would keep opposing defenses honest.. He always commanded double coverage which in turn would leave someone else open to make the big play, and open up our running game.. I like the idea of getting Randy Moss back for a possible 3rd rd pick.. That makes perfect sense to me.. While some on here will agree with this, others have their opinion in a different direction.. That is fine, we all are entitled to our own opinion.. I guess we will find out very soon...

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

There is a long first post for sure. Good post MA and you're more than welcome to post more on any subjects or topics that interest you. As a long time browser you know that all opinions are welcome here !
    I'm not sure that I would send the package that you suggest for Moss, Twill possibly but certainly would not look at giving up any draft picks at all in order to bring Moss back. I'd rather keep the picks that we currently have, even with a player like him he will not transform the offense on his own. I feel we can pick up younger talented receivers who would cost us less and be around for longer than Moss would be here for.
    Still I like your reasoning even if I can't fully go along with it
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

Great first post. I agreed with almost every point in that montage.

It would be really funny if we traded Troy and Napo for moss. That would make the trade a mid round draft pick from us for a 7th round draft pick from them in the end.

The fact of the matter is that Tarvaris needs a deep threat and/or a reliable receiver that can catch the ball when given the opportunity or else he will fail miserably.

We have:

A solid Running back
    The beginning of a great o-line (just need to finish off that right side)
    A quarterback that could turn into a future starter
    A great run stuffing defense
    A talented secondary with a few holes.

What's missing? A good cornerback, a great Wide Receiver and receiving corps, and a solid right side of the offensive line, maybe a big threat at tight end.

The Free Agents this year are sub par as far as receiver goes and we've all seen how drafting a wide receiver early can blow up in your face. This is the perfect time to trade for Moss if we want to make a run at a super bowl in the near future. Moss, a solid free agent acquisition (Bennett, Curtis) and maybe a later round draft pick (we could trade down with our #7-11 in a deep draft) with McMullen/Taylor/Williamson and Johnson and we have a good receiving corps. There are a bunch of good receiving threats at TE out there in FA (Gonzalez, Graham) and good right side offensive lineman. We could turn this offense into what it once was and we already have the defense in place..

This is a pipe dream but who says its not fun to think about.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast