Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is online now Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: One Name: Troy Williamson

"Mr." wrote:
    To me Troy Williamson at best is a TJ WhosYourMomma, or a Reggie Wayne (who could be a number 1 anywhere) Hes a WR that to me needs another elite receiver around him for him to truly shine.Hes not number 1 caliber.If you think he is...take off your purple shades.I think he pairs off with Rice quite well, and WHEN ( oh I swear to god Childress you better) we get a better WR in FA next year...I expect him to get better.

Its a sad way to look at him, but I find it spot on.
    I gotta agree with Mr.P here, however........

I still say that we need to quit thinking in that #1, #2, #3 etc process when you look at the WCO.
    All recievers (RB, TE, WR etc) play an intrical part in the passing attack.

If you want to say that someone is our #1 in terms of first looks in the progression then you could say that B-wade is really the #1 as in most cases/plays he is the first one to get a look from the QB.

Or you could say that Rice would/could be your #1 in the Redzone as his routes shouldn't take to long to open up either and he will/should score more TD's.

Again, I just don't like the whole "Who's #1" label in this type of offense.
    :

WCOs still do use some smaller slot receivers. Philadelphia will use Freddie Mitchell (5'1", 184 lbs) in the slot, and he certainly isn't today's prototypical size of a player at his position. Az-Zahir Hakim is not an ideal fit in the WCO, but he'll be put into the Lions version of it again this year. Beware. Generally, though, WCO offenses favor good short area receivers over smurf receivers. Slot receivers in the WCO are on the field a lot and therefore can see a fair number of touches (30-50 catches, 4-6 TDs per year is a maximum). Some can be as productive as a less prolific team's No. 2 receiver. However, for fantasy owners, a slot receiver does pose limitations in opportunities when compared to an every down receiver.

Envision a basic "Pro-formation" in the Buccaneer offense with WR McCardell playing the Split End (SE) and Johnson playing the Flanker position. Reading left to right on a play diagram of a "standard" strong right (TE to the right) formation, McCardell is the "X" receiver, the TE is generally the "Y" receiver and Johnson is lined up on the right of the offense, off the line, as the "Z" receiver. A very basic passing play may have the Z receiver run a fly pattern, the Y receiver run an out pattern and the FB running a swing pattern to the right side. This play illustrates the "strongside triangle" where Johnson is the "point" of the triangle and the FB and TE are the "base". The advantage is that the QB has three receivers to the side where he wants to go with the ball. He can see all of them without turning his head, which saves valuable fractions of a second.

The QBs job is to find the open man, no matter how little yardage he offers, and get him the ball. Thus, if it's third-and-eight and Johnson and the TE are covered (and the backside receivers McCardell and the RB are covered) the QB is supposed to dump the ball to the open FB, even if the first-down is out of the question.
    http://www.kffl.com/article.php/1790/204
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Mr." wrote:
    To me Troy Williamson at best is a TJ WhosYourMomma, or a Reggie Wayne (who could be a number 1 anywhere) Hes a WR that to me needs another elite receiver around him for him to truly shine.Hes not number 1 caliber.If you think he is...take off your purple shades.I think he pairs off with Rice quite well, and WHEN ( oh I swear to god Childress you better) we get a better WR in FA next year...I expect him to get better.

I still say that we need to quit thinking in that #1, #2, #3 etc process when you look at the WCO.

If you want to say that someone is our #1 in terms of first looks in the progression then you could say that B-wade is really the #1 as in most cases/plays he is the first one to get a look from the QB.

Or you could say that Rice would/could be your #1 in the Redzone as his routes shouldn't take to long to open up either and he will/should score more TD's.

:

WCOs still do use some smaller slot receivers. Philadelphia will use Freddie Mitchell (5'1", 184 lbs) in the slot, and he certainly isn't today's prototypical size of a player at his position. Az-Zahir Hakim is not an ideal fit in the WCO, but he'll be put into the Lions version of it again this year. Beware. Generally, though, WCO offenses favor good short area receivers over smurf receivers. Slot receivers in the WCO are on the field a lot and therefore can see a fair number of touches (30-50 catches, 4-6 TDs per year is a maximum). Some can be as productive as a less prolific team's No. 2 receiver. However, for fantasy owners, a slot receiver does pose limitations in opportunities when compared to an every down receiver.

Envision a basic "Pro-formation" in the Buccaneer offense with WR McCardell playing the Split End (SE) and Johnson playing the Flanker position. Reading left to right on a play diagram of a "standard" strong right (TE to the right) formation, McCardell is the "X" receiver, the TE is generally the "Y" receiver and Johnson is lined up on the right of the offense, off the line, as the "Z" receiver. A very basic passing play may have the Z receiver run a fly pattern, the Y receiver run an out pattern and the FB running a swing pattern to the right side. This play illustrates the "strongside triangle" where Johnson is the "point" of the triangle and the FB and TE are the "base". The advantage is that the QB has three receivers to the side where he wants to go with the ball. He can see all of them without turning his head, which saves valuable fractions of a second.

The QBs job is to find the open man, no matter how little yardage he offers, and get him the ball. Thus, if it's third-and-eight and Johnson and the TE are covered (and the backside receivers McCardell and the RB are covered) the QB is supposed to dump the ball to the open FB, even if the first-down is out of the question.
    Freddie Mitchell is ONLY 5'1"???
    Wow...I guess that even Singer has a shot in the NFL then!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Mr." wrote:

:

Freddie Mitchell is ONLY 5'1"???
    Wow...I guess that even Singer has a shot in the NFL then!
    ;D
    I think the author made a mistake.
    ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

This is a post I made that gives a bit more info on the whole "#1" issue.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...?topic=34209.0

"Marrdro" wrote:
    This is a post I made that gives a bit more info on the whole "#1" issue.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/in...?topic=34209.0
    Simply put, the #1 WR is the guy that you throw the ball to when you want to get a first down (because you know that he will get open AND make the catch). Speed has very little to do with it...performance does.
    Jerry Rice was never the fastest guy on the field...BUT he was the #1 guy throughout the vast majority of his career.
    The bottom line is that if you don't have guys that can get open, you will not have a successful passing game...the raw stats mean NOTHING if the WR isn't open.

TheKnuck is offline Asst. Coach

he had a couple of nice catches against the packers, oh wait they were out of bounds.
    honestly i can't say this year as has a few nice grabs but of course we vikings fans want to see the deep ball.
    problem there is protection and having someone who can deliver a ball on target.
    holcombe had his chances against green bay but failed.
    he's had years to prove himself.
    i hope they decided to send the ball rice's way just because of his catch against greenbay in the endzone.
    i'm still excited about that grab.
    very moss like and hopefully childress gives him the pill more.
    either way, t-will has yet to prove himself to me and his time is running out.
    especially for a #8 pick overall.
    but that's just me.

"TheKnuck" wrote:
    he had a couple of nice catches against the packers, oh wait they were out of bounds.
    honestly i can't say this year as has a few nice grabs but of course we vikings fans want to see the deep ball.
    problem there is protection and having someone who can deliver a ball on target.
    holcombe had his chances against green bay but failed.
    he's had years to prove himself.
    i hope they decided to send the ball rice's way just because of his catch against greenbay in the endzone.
    i'm still excited about that grab.
    very moss like and hopefully childress gives him the pill more.
    either way, t-will has yet to prove himself to me and his time is running out.
    especially for a #8 pick overall.
    but that's just me.
    Even WORSE news...TWill was picked at #7.

Questfor31 is offline Training Camp

What is up with this guy?
    Before the season all you heard about was Troy Williamson and how his newly corrected vision was going to translate to vastly improved offensive production on the field.
    I had to drop him in every fantasy football league I have him in.
    That dude is horrible.
    The vision correction doesn't seem to have helped at all.
    Quest for 31
    NFL Stadium Reviews
    Buffalo Bills Fan
    Check out my visit to the Metrodome at:
    www. nflfootballstadiums. com/Metrodome. htm

"Questfor31" wrote:
    What is up with this guy?
    Before the season all you heard about was Troy Williamson and how his newly corrected vision was going to translate to vastly improved offensive production on the field.
    I had to drop him in every fantasy football league I have him in.
    That dude is horrible.
    The vision correction doesn't seem to have helped at all.
    I'm not so sure we can say the improvement isn't there.

As with all our WR's, his numbers are way below league average, not because of ability but because our passing game has been almost non existant.

Hopefully the OL will get thier heads out of thier asses this weekend and give the QB's and WR's time to make a few passes.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

assuming they don't over-throw wide-open receivers....

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast