Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

For once, players' advice is welcome

A common complaint heard around Winter Park during Brad Childress' tenure as coach was that player input was rarely -- if ever -- welcomed on offense.

That drove a wedge in the relationship between nearly every quarterback who walked through the door, starting with Brad Johnson and ending with Brett Favre. So imagine the surprise of many players this season when they arrived and were told by new offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave that their thoughts

I can't believe this one hasn't been posted yet.

I for one put it right in the catagory of "We will find a scheme that matches our players talents" and "Now we are going to use 4 blocking schemes not 1" and use all three as evidence that our offensive staff doesn't have a clue when it comes to what they want to do.

A deadskin fan, retired sailor, sent it to me and asked me what it would be like on the ship if the Capt couldn't figure out what to do and had to resort to asking the junior sailors what to do.

.....snicker.....

I guess it comes down to the new age of everyone needs to be loved and no one has to be in charge mentality. Pretty soon we will be handing out Super Bowl trophies every team.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Re: For once, players' advice is welcome

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1103959
    A common complaint heard around Winter Park during Brad Childress' tenure as coach was that player input was rarely -- if ever -- welcomed on offense.

That drove a wedge in the relationship between nearly every quarterback who walked through the door, starting with Brad Johnson and ending with Brett Favre. So imagine the surprise of many players this season when they arrived and were told by new offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave that their thoughts

I for one put it right in the catagory of "We will find a scheme that matches our players talents" and "Now we are going to use 4 blocking schemes not 1" and use all three as evidence that our offensive staff doesn't have a clue when it comes to what they want to do.

A deadskin fan, retired sailor, sent it to me and asked me what it would be like on the ship if the Capt couldn't figure out what to do and had to resort to asking the junior sailors what to do.

.....snicker.....

I guess it comes down to the new age of everyone needs to be loved and no one has to be in charge mentality. Pretty soon we will be handing out Super Bowl trophies every team.
    Wouldn't this have been more appropriate to put into the thread you started last week on the exact same subject?

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1103962

.....snicker.....

Wouldn't this have been more appropriate to put into the thread you started last week on the exact same subject?

=Z=
    Are you a mod now? :dry:
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Zeus" #1103962

.....snicker.....

=Z=
    nah, he likes to think he's now proven his point that we're doing the same thing any competent OC would do.... listen to his players.

Oh wait, that wasn't his point, it was mine.

Well, carry on then.

josdin00 is offline Ring of Fame

.....snicker.....

Did you, in return, ask him what it would be like on the ship if the captain insisted on sticking to a set course, ignoring what the sailors in the engine room and on the weather radar were telling him?

Quote Originally Posted by "josdin00" #1103985

.....snicker.....

Did you, in return, ask him what it would be like on the ship if the captain insisted on sticking to a set course, ignoring what the sailors in the engine room and on the weather radar were telling him?
    Hey Jos, long time no see. Good to see you around.

Nope, I didn't. His story was funnier. He actually used the combat systems for his point.....

Ship over the horizon. Best bet hit it with your long range gun.

Asks the crew and the close in weapons guy says lets use my CIWS. Its loud and will scare him.

The Torpedoman chimes in with, he skipper, we haven't shot a torp in along time. Won't get there but lets use mine. (he used incentives in his but it will take to long to type out)

Finally chimed in with something about how the XO said the CO wasn't being politely correct with some of his answers.

Again, damn funny and to long to type out.

I think I can use the Weather Guesser/Engineroom scenario back at him.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Nothing wrong with talking to the players and getting ideas. Ultimately though its the coaches that will create the gameplan. Hopefully the coaches design the gameplans to match the teams strengths.

Hopefully by listening to the players the players will be comfortable talking to the coaches, instead of the media.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1103987
    Quote Originally Posted by "josdin00" #1103985

.....snicker.....

Hey Jos, long time no see. Good to see you around.

Nope, I didn't. His story was funnier. He actually used the combat systems for his point.....

Ship over the horizon. Best bet hit it with your long range gun.

Asks the crew and the close in weapons guy says lets use my CIWS. Its loud and will scare him.

The Torpedoman chimes in with, he skipper, we haven't shot a torp in along time. Won't get there but lets use mine. (he used incentives in his but it will take to long to type out)

Finally chimed in with something about how the XO said the CO wasn't being politely correct with some of his answers.

Again, damn funny and to long to type out.

I think I can use the Weather Guesser/Engineroom scenario back at him.

Hmmm... as "funny" as that sounds, I like jos's analogy better.

Really, I think this scene explains perfectly what it is like working with Childress (style of direction you seem to favor).
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebAkXuOk9rg

Quote Originally Posted by "jmcdon00" #1103997
    Nothing wrong with talking to the players and getting ideas. Ultimately though its the coaches that will create the gameplan. Hopefully the coaches design the gameplans to match the teams strengths.

Hopefully by listening to the players the players will be comfortable talking to the coaches, instead of the media.
    I agree and I'm not saying it isn't but judging by some of the stuff coming out of the staff (really only on the offensive side of the ball. The defensive has been very positive) it sure sounds like they don't have a clue.

I keep going back to the draft and then to FA. Someone really missed the mark when it comes to moves that could have been made to shore up the OL if they were going to go into the season with a change at LT.