Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Infidel is offline Star Spokesman

Re: OL - How Bad Is it Really?

Last year they were not great, but they looked better on the field than they do this year.
    A high school varsity chess team would look better on the field than they do this year.
    It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    --John Wooden

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Favre has been beat to crap all season. Sometimes he holds the ball too long and it is his responsibility. But the O-line,and especially the back responsible for picking up the blitz, have not been getting the job done.

Childress' answer to Favre getting beat up is max protection.Sitting Tahi helped marginally.

The problem with max protect is it packs everyone in tight including the defense. That makes it more difficult to see where the blitz is coming from, and also makes it harder to run successfully.

I would like to see us try to spread the defense out.
    It would make it easier to identify the blitzer and I'll bet our running game would take off.
    In addition it would very likely help our O-Line.

Childress' solution has been max protect since he's been here. He's a very inflexible and predictable coach.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Infidel wrote:
    Last year they were not great, but they looked better on the field than they do this year.
    A high school varsity chess team would look better on the field than they do this year.
    You can't honestly believe that...
    [img size=250]http://www.newtonhillchurch.org.uk/images/2007/chess_team2007a.jpg[/img]
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Infidel is offline Star Spokesman

Ok......the chess team cheerleaders would look better!!!

Almost anything would look better than the Doodles.

It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.
    --John Wooden

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

V-Unit wrote:
    I look around the league and I see a lot of OLs struggling worse than ours.
    I see alot of games were I thank the good lord we don't have thier OL.

That said, the OL hasn't been anything more than average this year.
    Agreed. But average is a hell of alot better than the way some on here make our OL out to be.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

BloodyHorns82 wrote:
    For entertainment's sake, it would be nice to see a "hurried" column.
    Agreed.

Another thing I would like to see is a columnist/analyst who would actually right something about OL play that the casual fan can/would understand.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Marrdro wrote:
    V-Unit wrote:
    I look around the league and I see a lot of OLs struggling worse than ours.
    I see alot of games were I thank the good lord we don't have thier OL.

That said, the OL hasn't been anything more than average this year.
    Agreed. But average is a hell of alot better than the way some on here make our OL out to be.
    marginally? Maybe. Hell of alot better? Hell no!

El Vikingo is offline Ring of Fame

Bad again ,shitty pockets for Favre,old guy always hit and pressured ,opp. D. just got too much penetration on us that hurts our running game a lot,etc etc

Add to the mix Tahi and AD canīt block and you gotta a recipent for disaster
    El underdog.

Mr Anderson wrote:
    Running stats = Individual effort by Peterson.

He's been making something out of nothing all season.
    Great point, and I agree, however, do you also agree that maybe AD gets himself in trouble as well when he decides to cut back when he shouldn't?

Said it before, I don't hold that against him cause in alot of instances he is right, but there are just as many instances were he actually messes the play up by cutting back into the exact defenders the OL/TE/FB are trying to seal.

I think it's a talented line, tackles need work, but I think there are ways we can avoid the pass rush other than "block better."
    Again, a great point.

Don't know how many times I've watched our QB stand there like a statue and not either move up into the pocket or sidestep the DE being brought around by the T.

Another thing to think about is the small window the rushers have to come to. Please don't turn this into a "Marrdro Hates the Noodle" discussion, but the mobility or lack thereof, of our QB makes it pretty easy to rush him.

Last year we saw alot of bootlegs/rollouts, but very few this year. Maybe Bevs needs to get the Noodle off his spot a bit more often instead of relying on the defense doing it.

Yesterday Dallas was simply bringing more guys than we could stop at times. We should have taken a page out of their book, and thrown at the pass rush. Screens short little routes to the slot and TE. Just get it out of there while you can and let our guys get some YAC, Peterson, Harvin, and Moss can probably figure out a way to gain some extra yardage.
    Another great point but probably for another thread. Heck, I started this thread, so it can go here.

I still say our pressure issues are related in some sort of fashion to our LB's and thier ability/inability to disguise what they are doing.

I charted 6 instances where Romo changed (or appeared to change) the play just prior to the snap.

El Vikingo wrote:
    Bad again ,shitty pockets for Favre,old guy always hit and pressured ,opp. D. just got too much penetration on us that hurts our running game a lot,etc etc

Add to the mix Tahi and AD canīt block and you gotta a recipent for disaster
    So is it the OL not blocking thier man or is it the FB/RB not getting thier man?

As I said in my post game notes, only saw the OLmen miss 3 blocks that were obvious, the other times that a OLmen let the guy through it was within a reasonable amount of time for the Noodle to get rid of the ball or it was someone missing the blitz pickup.

Again, I do not blame the OL for a RB's problem.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast