Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The OL

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

The OL

Well, I went back and watched footage from the games this year to see how Peterson was getting his yardage and besides the fact he is running more dominantly than I have ever seen a back run, I came away with a new appreciation for what the OL has been able to do.

For years I have pizzed about the play of the OL but I have to say that what I saw in the highlights made me feel a lot better about things.If anyone is looking for a player or two to dump accolades on I am going to present the interior line of the Vikings. So many of his runs are the direct product of the interior line making huge blocks at the point of contact. Fusco seems to be the most unheralded player on the offense and Sully pulling as well as Johnson anchoring the LG position really has been making things happen. Kalil looks very athletic and is frequently down the field making hits but maybe a bigger surprise to me was watching Loadholt. I remember thinking he was going to be a disappointment but man, if you go back and look at Peterson't best runs, the majority were to the right side and Loadholt has been blocking like a beast, even running down the field making 2nd and 3rd hits.

I invite everyone to go back and watch the highlights of the running game( the highlights of the passing game are few and far between) and enjoy the best run blocking that this team has had in as long as i remember.

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    The O line has been great this year with the exception of Fusco, who has been really bad. Fortunately, Schwartz has been pretty good. Unfortunately, Fusco still gets playing time. Load has played well, Kalil is one of the top tackles in the league already, and Sully is the absolute best center in the league and it isn't close. Charlie Johnson is much more at home as a guard. Overall, they've really impressed. We definitely have a line that we can build a team around.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired
    This O line has really come together, much quicker also than I ever thought they would, Great Coaching? Anyways, one thing that really caught my eye lately was the Texans game. Load played like AD runs that game, like a Beast!!!! Watts lined up against Load to start the game, but Load down right owned him, handled him like a baby handling it's milk bottle, or titty if breast fed..LOL Watts got handled so well by Load, that the Texans ended up moving Watts, from Load to over the guard next to Load, then Center, then other side of the line even...LOL Yes, Watts had a couple nice plays, but those all seemed to come against our guards......Load has also worked harder and gotten better at Pass Protection and hopefully like the Texans game, he can come out of the GB match up with no penaltys......He still could work on his jump off the snap count...... Congrats to the whole line, I'm sure AD is loving them also....

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    Last year a weakness ... this year a strength ... nice to see.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Randy Moss View Post
    The O line has been great this year with the exception of Fusco, who has been really bad. Fortunately, Schwartz has been pretty good. Unfortunately, Fusco still gets playing time. Load has played well, Kalil is one of the top tackles in the league already, and Sully is the absolute best center in the league and it isn't close. Charlie Johnson is much more at home as a guard. Overall, they've really impressed. We definitely have a line that we can build a team around.

I am gonna disagree with you on Fusco in relation to run blocking. I haven't taken a lot of time at this point to break down his pass blocking but if you really watch the big runs AP makes, there are more that happen because of a key block made by the RG than any other position and the combo of RG and C has become a very pleasant surprise. What you see in the film is the entire line getting down the field hitting guys and you will see a lot of #63 making a key block that not only puts his guy in a bad position to make a tackle, but also shielding the defender behind him which creates the big holes in the 8 man front. Peterson is also letting this develop this year better than he ever has and is picking the holes in the right spot.

But look at the big runs AP had had this year and notice how many come from the interior lines making big holes between the tackles and then watch the linemen making secondary blocks downfield and picking off defenders past the LOS. It is impressive.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    I think too the line has had help in protection and blocking schemes with some of the multi TE sets and the reverse wishbone formation, teams are puting more bodies in the box so the Vikings are putting more bodies in to block. Felton has also turned out to be Spielman's one FA gem(?) if a FB can be a gem. The quick/short passing game that well places use last in the league in yards does help the line as well as does Ponder in his roll outs. While these help the guys on the line they are the ones that are doing much better.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    IMO opinion the OL has been pretty damn good at run blocking for the most part for several years. Even McKinnie was a good run blocker. My beef with the OL has been primarily the pass protection.

Ponder has been sacked 31 times & while at times he does hang on to the ball too long, there are times when there's immediate pressure & lack of containment. Did you access the pass blocking as well to see where the weak links are?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries
    Nope.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Nope.
    Well, you still have 6 hours before the game.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Blog Entries
    Don't care to but be my guest.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast