Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The OL

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach

Re:The OL

Our OL should be great but it sure hasn't been ... we look like shit as of late .... average RB's get more yards than our stud .... this sucks and I hope they fix it.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

thorshammer wrote:
    Our OL should be great but it sure hasn't been ... we look like shit as of late .... average RB's get more yards than our stud .... this sucks and I hope they fix it.
    What makes anyone think our Oline play will get any better?

We've made no real adjustments mid-season since Childress took over. Everything has gotten done during the offseason, and most of that was because of talent acquisition.

So don't hold your breath anyone(not just you thorshammer, I don't mean to direct the whole post at you because of the quote.)

Zone blocking doesn't play to the strengths of our talent on the offensive line.
    We don't get Peterson the ball in the open field nearly as much as we should.
    The cover 2 is dated, any experienced QB can make it if we don't get pressure.
    The passing game has improved by leaps and bounds when the pressure is kept off... but that's a credit to the aforementioned acquisition of talent in the offseason.

When/if we don't win in the playoffs we have to get rid of Childress. Bring in a new HC, I don't care if it's a young guy or someone with a ring. If he can get the team ready to play fired up football every week I'm pleased. I like the OLine coach from Tennessee. Maybe give him the OC spot, or assistant head coach, just so there's the promotion in it for him and he can leave.

Whatever, I don't want to ramble anymore. We need a new head coach. We're not going to get any better this season.

ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler

Mr Anderson wrote:
    thorshammer wrote:
    What makes anyone think our Oline play will get any better?

We've made no real adjustments mid-season since Childress took over. Everything has gotten done during the offseason, and most of that was because of talent acquisition.

So don't hold your breath anyone(not just you thorshammer, I don't mean to direct the whole post at you because of the quote.)

Zone blocking doesn't play to the strengths of our talent on the offensive line.
    We don't get Peterson the ball in the open field nearly as much as we should.
    The cover 2 is dated, any experienced QB can make it if we don't get pressure.
    The passing game has improved by leaps and bounds when the pressure is kept off... but that's a credit to the aforementioned acquisition of talent in the offseason.

When/if we don't win in the playoffs we have to get rid of Childress. Bring in a new HC, I don't care if it's a young guy or someone with a ring. If he can get the team ready to play fired up football every week I'm pleased. I like the OLine coach from Tennessee. Maybe give him the OC spot, or assistant head coach, just so there's the promotion in it for him and he can leave.

Whatever, I don't want to ramble anymore. We need a new head coach. We're not going to get any better this season.
    Well said...Well said

Formo is offline Team Alumni

jargomcfargo wrote:
    Hey. Maybe if McKinnie put one leg further behind the other one on passing plays he could be more effective! (sarcasm font)
    LOL

+1, my friend!
    Vegans are eating the rainforests. =(

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired

Friends I urge to consider another side of things. I say our coaching staff was to blame for the domination we saw last Sunday. It is almost like our coaching staff had never heard of Peppers before Sunday. The Panthers have 2 dominante defensive players; Peppers & Beason. I saw no game plan to stop Peppers.

Everyone is bent on blaming Mac for the Oline problems but could it be the damn scheme and lack of adjustments. Every week we see teams running double and triple teams at Allen. Some even scheme roll outs away from him and screens towards him. Our Coaching heads decided the only way to fix the issue was to bench Mac. No help, no double team, we just left him on an island with possible the most dominant defensive player in the league(Look at the talent he plays with on his Dline compared to what Allen has)

It was a dumb coaching move to not adjust and roll help and it was similar to what happened to Winston Justice against the Giants a few years ago. It will look like it's all Mac...but coaches have to put players in a position to win. After we were being dominated during Pass blocking, why continue to pass? Questions like these should be asked. Instead of simply, shitting on the oline, we should be asking what did our coaching staff do to help them.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

kevoncox wrote:
    Friends I urge to consider another side of things. I say our coaching staff was to blame for the domination we saw last Sunday. It is almost like our coaching staff had never heard of Peppers before Sunday. The Panthers have 2 dominante defensive players; Peppers & Beason. I saw no game plan to stop Peppers.

Everyone is bent on blaming Mac for the Oline problems but could it be the damn scheme and lack of adjustments. Every week we see teams running double and triple teams at Allen. Some even scheme roll outs away from him and screens towards him. Our Coaching heads decided the only way to fix the issue was to bench Mac. No help, no double team, we just left him on an island with possible the most dominant defensive player in the league(Look at the talent he plays with on his Dline compared to what Allen has)

It was a dumb coaching move to not adjust and roll help and it was similar to what happened to Winston Justice against the Giants a few years ago. It will look like it's all Mac...but coaches have to put players in a position to win. After we were being dominated during Pass blocking, why continue to pass? Questions like these should be asked. Instead of simply, shitting on the oline, we should be asking what did our coaching staff do to help them.
    Most of us know that Chilly and Co. is riding this talented team.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ...to the ground.

jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

kevoncox wrote:

Exactly right. As I said elsewhere, we've seen this story before. Peppers owns McKinnie and Winfield can't handle Smith.
    Yet the game plan didn't acknowledge that historical fact.
    That is on the coaching staff.

Personally I'm not a fan of the cover 2. And I don't care much for the zone blocking scheme.
    Despite the fact we have been successful with those schemes.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Suick is offline Pro-Bowler

I saw a 350 bizillion lb man getting knocked around like a rag doll. Not much effort from Mac Daddy IMO.

I'd give the O-line a break on the pass protection, but the run blocking sucked $hit too.
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em.

Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

jargomcfargo wrote:
    kevoncox wrote:

Exactly right. As I said elsewhere, we've seen this story before. Peppers owns McKinnie and Winfield can't handle Smith.
    Yet the game plan didn't acknowledge that historical fact.
    That is on the coaching staff.

Personally I'm not a fan of the cover 2. And I don't care much for the zone blocking scheme.
    Despite the fact we have been successful with those schemes.
    Most casual NFL fanatics think of Smith and Peppers when they hear about the Carolina Panthers. You can bet that the high-graded preparation films for playing the Vikings are the Cardinals and Panthers. There's something seriously wrong about a team named the Vikings getting beat by a team named the Cardinals. Seriously? A fuckingcardinal beating up a Viking? That's just wrong.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I`ll just say, I`m fully capable of getting worked by Peppers. Where can I sign up?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12