Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    edlantis is offline Rookie

Re: OK. We lost. What can we do about it?

Who to blame??? C-Pep? O-Line? Lack of a running game? Poor defense?

These aren't two losses because someone had a "bad game." This is a systemic problem that is wreaking havoc all over the place! That leads us to coaching.

During Tice's tenure, I can recall only one gameplan that seemed to make a lot of sense, it was a Monday Night game against Greenbay (can't remember the date off hand). Beyond that, Tice would seem to play around with some randomly inferior gameplan that would usually falter and subsequently fall upon C-Pep and Moss to bail him out.

Here is my challenge, if you gave every coach in this league an exactly equally talented team, how many games would Tice win?

I feel pity for the players. The coaching staff doesn't seem to have a gameplan that people feel confident in, and they are playing far below their potential. I am not a big Bennet fan, but its hard to get into a rhthym when you get benched the first time you screw up. That should build his confidence!

And like the rest of you, I am scratching my head about why some people get played and others don't, why some screw up and get benched, and others get left in their to help bury the corpses.

Would be talking about these things if Parcel was coaching??? Tice was a planned failure by big Red to move or sell this team! Time to get a real coach!

Edlantis

hovan is offline Star Spokesman

"WilliamsonOfTroy" wrote:
    Im in no way shape or form talking bad about the vikings, infact since both games have ended i've been prolley one of the most postive guys on the site. I'm talking about our running game sucking, like 233243 people on this site believe in. I'm the furthest from " jumping ship".
    Yeah, wasn't directed at you. I just hope some guys on here will read that and maybe calm down. I cried after that Antonio Freeman Monday night debacle a couple of years ago, this I can handle.
    Lombardis DEAD,
    Favrays OLD, the Packers SUCK,
    DEAL WITH IT!!!

*** BEGIN BARELY RELEVANT POST ***

>Hovan,

Me too. Ofcourse at the time of that catch I was engaged to my now wife who was born in Appleton, WS and most of her family still lives in that area, which means her entire family are cheeseheads. When Freeman made that catch, she jumped up and down and started cheering her a$$ off and I gave her the "eat $hit and die" stare. It was the worst fight we ever got into. I seriously thought the relationship was going to end that night. Of course we worked through it and marrying her was the best thing that has ever happened to me but everytime I see that replay, I remember that dreadful night and tears I shed. F#$% Antonio Freeman

-DD
    The Betic Always Gets His Shot!

"Deadly_Diabetic" wrote:
    *** BEGIN BARELY RELEVANT POST ***

>Hovan,

Me too. Ofcourse at the time of that catch I was engaged to my now wife who was born in Appleton, WS and most of her family still lives in that area, which means her entire family are cheeseheads. When Freeman made that catch, she jumped up and down and started cheering her a$$ off and I gave her the "eat $hit and die" stare. It was the worst fight we ever got into. I seriously thought the relationship was going to end that night. Of course we worked through it and marrying her was the best thing that has ever happened to me but everytime I see that replay, I remember that dreadful night and tears I shed. F#$% Antonio Freeman

-DD
    And remember the GREAT SNICKER KICKER...who just had to fall on the football....but NO. Had to try and be a hero.
    Lombardis DEAD,
    DEAL WITH IT!!!

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"VikemanX84" wrote:
    Man, what a horrible game all around.

Daunte was just horrible. Bad decisions, couldn't make reads.

We have to stop truning the ball over. Thats it, really. I mean isn't not just Culpepper, Bennett fumbled twice which lead to Culpepper feeling rushed and making bad decisions. On the final drive in the TB game, we had fumbles, and balls bouncing off hands, etc...

I think the announcers hit the nail on the head a couple of times once when they said Daunte doesn't trust his offensive line. I also don't think he trusts himself. It's a fast game and you have to play it with your instincts, he isn't trusting his reads, feels he can't make a mistake, gets pressured, and eventually makes a decision, but it's a bad one.

Running the ball is good. Keep doing that but Bennett blew his chance. fumbling twice in a game for a RB is crap, let alone on consecutive touches.

Tice needs to be muttering "Protect the football" all the time. Maybe get some posters, some T-shirts, whatever. They scored 27 out of 37 points off turnovers. If you turn each of our turnovers into FGs for us instead of points for them we win this game 23-10.

You're defense also can't do crap when they have to play for 20 minutes in the first half, or defend against SEVEN turnovers. It doesn't matter who is playing defense, you give the ball up 7 times and make them play 20 minutes in the first half, they're not going to do a thing.

It's not as much of a break down as people are making it out too be. We simply need to PROTECT THE FOOTBALL and we'll be fine. make sure Daunte knows not to force it but to throw it away some times. He shouldn't have to do it all himself.

Also, let him know he can friggin' run with the ball. I think with 4700 passing yards last year he proved he can be an effective pocket passer and thats where he is best, but use your running ability, it'll open things up more. There were at least 2 INTs that I saw where he could have ran for 5 yards or more but tried to force a pass that got picked off.

Run with a RB that doesn't fumble, remind Daunte to throw it away, protect the passer (We need a better Center, not to replace Marcus Johnson).
    Dead on, Vikeman!!!

BUT that still doesn't take into account the poor game planning and poor gameday decision-making by the coaching staff...there needs to be better coaching otherwise it won't matter how well our players play. What I am losing confidence in the most is how the coaching staff fails to adjust when things start to go wrong...that is what defines great coaches...and our coaches are failing miserably at doing what they are most supposed to do...LEAD!!! Without great leadership in these trying times, we will surely sink to the bottom of the standing...unless the coaching staff steps up and takes control of this before it gets out of hand, the Vikings will NOT make the playoffs. It is still early, so there is time to right the ship...but the time to lead is now...and the coaches need to do their jobs!
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

"cajunvike" wrote:
    "VikemanX84" wrote:
    Man, what a horrible game all around.

Daunte was just horrible. Bad decisions, couldn't make reads.

We have to stop truning the ball over. Thats it, really. I mean isn't not just Culpepper, Bennett fumbled twice which lead to Culpepper feeling rushed and making bad decisions. On the final drive in the TB game, we had fumbles, and balls bouncing off hands, etc...

I think the announcers hit the nail on the head a couple of times once when they said Daunte doesn't trust his offensive line. I also don't think he trusts himself. It's a fast game and you have to play it with your instincts, he isn't trusting his reads, feels he can't make a mistake, gets pressured, and eventually makes a decision, but it's a bad one.

Running the ball is good. Keep doing that but Bennett blew his chance. fumbling twice in a game for a RB is crap, let alone on consecutive touches.

Tice needs to be muttering "Protect the football" all the time. Maybe get some posters, some T-shirts, whatever. They scored 27 out of 37 points off turnovers. If you turn each of our turnovers into FGs for us instead of points for them we win this game 23-10.

You're defense also can't do crap when they have to play for 20 minutes in the first half, or defend against SEVEN turnovers. It doesn't matter who is playing defense, you give the ball up 7 times and make them play 20 minutes in the first half, they're not going to do a thing.

It's not as much of a break down as people are making it out too be. We simply need to PROTECT THE FOOTBALL and we'll be fine. make sure Daunte knows not to force it but to throw it away some times. He shouldn't have to do it all himself.

Also, let him know he can friggin' run with the ball. I think with 4700 passing yards last year he proved he can be an effective pocket passer and thats where he is best, but use your running ability, it'll open things up more. There were at least 2 INTs that I saw where he could have ran for 5 yards or more but tried to force a pass that got picked off.

Run with a RB that doesn't fumble, remind Daunte to throw it away, protect the passer (We need a better Center, not to replace Marcus Johnson).
    Dead on, Vikeman!!!

BUT that still doesn't take into account the poor game planning and poor gameday decision-making by the coaching staff...there needs to be better coaching otherwise it won't matter how well our players play. What I am losing confidence in the most is how the coaching staff fails to adjust when things start to go wrong...that is what defines great coaches...and our coaches are failing miserably at doing what they are most supposed to do...LEAD!!! Without great leadership in these trying times, we will surely sink to the bottom of the standing...unless the coaching staff steps up and takes control of this before it gets out of hand, the Vikings will NOT make the playoffs. It is still early, so there is time to right the ship...but the time to lead is now...and the coaches need to do their jobs!
    Yah, I would have to say it would be nice to see the Vikes use SHOTGUN before they are down 3 touchdowns.
    Lombardis DEAD,
    DEAL WITH IT!!!

MN_Fan is offline Waterboy

Embarassing performance as in week #1. Not a team in the NFL that will win ballgames with 7 turnovers. I can accept a loss when it is a well played game, but the massive mental breakdowns is another animial. I like Tice, but he needs more consistancy with his player managment and reduce the number of mental errors, specifically his skill players.

We all know Culpepper is our man (and for years to come) but his decisions over the last two weeks have been terrible. A sideline stint if only as a way to calm him would have been in order in the third quarter. Especially after the game was out of reach. Opposite for Bennett. Why pull him after the damage was already done. Let him work out of it and find a way to redeem himself. He hasn't been given the necessary reps (outside of injury). I suspect we will see Mike B. on another team next year as a high producer and we can all talk about why he didn't play at that level for us. I hope they (coaches) make a committment to a starting running back and stick with it next week. These young men (moore bennet) need to be shown the confidence they deserve and be allowed to perform. Otherwise they will be doubting themselves the rest of the year.

It's hard to judge the defense so far with the amount of time they are on the field. I don't think they are built to play 20+ min in one half. I think the corners played well today but the safety performance was poor. The d play calling was out of sync. Look for other teams to work the no huddle and exploit the middle of the field. Same as last year. Still no pass rush after about ten years, but the run support was adequate considering the amount of time the d was playing.

Overall, this this team has not shown the mental toughness it takes to win in the NFL. Winning and losing is often determined by which team makes the fewest mistakes. Eliminating mistakes starts with perfection of the fundementals which is honed through practice, practice, practice. Pure talent alone will not do it, that is why we never won a championship with R. Moss. And on that subject, that is exactly why you don't need buy into the so called experts in the media. I remember the offense perfoming solidly last year while Moss was hurt.

I suspect we will see the Vikes in games where the mistakes are eliminated (mostly) and they'll perform beautifully. Until then, keep the faith my purple friends.

MN_Fan

BigEasyViking is offline Coordinator

Alright, I just read this entire thread and so far here is what I have all seen can fix our problems:

1)Fire the entire coaching staff
    2)Bench Daute
    3)Trade for Ricky Williams(YOU CAN"T BE SERIOUS)
    4)Hire DITKA
    5)Bench Bennett and Memo
    6)Get a new FB(What CHU talkin about Willis? That's tha SAUCE's spot!!!) :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire: :angryfire:

Alright, I understand that desperate times call for desperate measures but I really think that at times like this we need to have faith. We have started off the season with two of the worst performances that I can remember but we all know that we have the talent to be a very good team in this league. I sincerely think that this is a blessing for us that we are starting slow this year instead of finishing off terrible. I am as frusterated as anyone and don't have an answer, but I will wait patiently until we get in sync. I strongly believe that it will take one good week to make this team believe that they can win again. Once they do this I see a very large winning streak in our future! I think that C-pepp will spread the ball around like we know that he can, and I believe that we will see who really wants to be on this team in the process! Man, I hope I'm right because I don't know that i can take much more of this?

:angel7: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: :angel7:
    God Bless America, & the MINNESOTA VIKINGS!!!

UTVikfan is offline Coordinator

Big easy, you forgot the most important part. We need to fire the mascot cause of how he dances.

I don't know how many (if any) of you guys subscribe to Fantasyguru.com, it's generally a pretty good site especially if you play competitive FF. Anyway, they have a section where they break down what options people have if they need to pick someone up from waviers and this was in there:

"9. Ricky Williams (Mia) – He’ll definitely have a role and value here, and he’s 50% through his suspension. The Vikings should look to acquire this guy."

LOL

-DD

I'm telling you it's Walker vol. 2!
    The Betic Always Gets His Shot!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678