Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: OK- U fix it.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    For those still touting the OL sucks......

32nd QB hits with 4. (Atlanta 1rst with 18)
    16th Sacks (tied with 9) with 4. (Bores first with 11)
    4th Rushing Avg (Tied with Atlanta) 5.8 (Iggles 1rst with 6.0)

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorysta...qualified=true

Just saying.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    For those still touting our OL doesn't suck.

29th in the league in passing attempts (stands to reason we'd be very low for hits as well)
    29th in the league in passing attempts (Stands to reason we'd be low for sacks... oh, we aren't? Well gee...)
    1st in the league in having the best RB in the game (hmm.. you mean a guy who can get 85% of his yards by himself)
    4th in the league in QB rush average (behind Vick, Newton and Henne). Think that maybe also drags up our average? In fact, those yards come BECAUSE our blocking breaks down.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    For those still touting our OL doesn't suck.

29th in the league in passing attempts (stands to reason we'd be very low for hits as well)
    29th in the league in passing attempts (Stands to reason we'd be low for sacks... oh, we aren't? Well gee...)
    1st in the league in having the best RB in the game (hmm.. you mean a guy who can get 85% of his yards by himself)
    4th in the league in QB rush average (behind Vick, Newton and Henne). Think that maybe also drags up our average? In fact, those yards come BECAUSE our blocking breaks down.
    Dink/dunk my friend. Dink/dunk. Not my problem the offensive coordinator doesn't throw it as much as you would like.

I, for one like the improvement this week. 25 first downs. 12 passing, 12 rushing. Pretty balanced offense if you ask me. Can't get that done without an OL that can run as well as pass block.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    My point is not "Our passing game sucks". It is that you can't say just because he wasn't sacked much means that our OL is better than god-awful.

As for your last point, I absolutely disagree. Talented skill players can make up for a lack of OL, as we saw in 2009 alot. McNabb has the ability to get he ball out there and evade rushers, Peterson has the ability to make something happen out of nothing and our TE's are good enough as well. Despite what you might think, many teams do manage to win on occasion DESPITE awful OL play.

kevoncox is offline Jersey Retired
    Again,
    We are up 17-7 at one point in two games. We collapse in both. You can't tell me it's the Oline. This is squarely on the players.
    How about not using our TOs at the two min mark to stop the clock on 1st and goal. The Bucs ran the clock out and scored leaving us no time. That was an idiot move and cemented to me that our coaching staff is out gunned each Sunday.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    What's your definition of fixed?

Are you looking for the quickest path to a SB? Are you looking at your best chance to win a SB? Or are you trying to build a long term perennially contending SB team?

Probably all of the above if you're like most fans.

No matter what the desired goal is, I'm afraid the answer is far beyond what us casual yutz's can write in a thread. Rebuilding is the easy answer, but it only works if the people doing the rebuilding know what they are doing. And if you had those people, you probably wouldn't have to rebuild.

The vikings coaching staff is full of unproven guys that are led by a young owner with limited knowledge. A GM makes a lot of sense, but it should have been done before Frazier was hired. And then you have to hope that the right GM is brought in, which is a big question mark. Now that Frazier is here, I think you have to give him a chance to see how he steers the ship. At least through the season.

He is growing and may end up being a solid HC, but he didn't do himself any favors by bringing in Musgrave to take over the offense.

This discussion will have a lot more merit after the season is finished. For now, Frazier has to teach his players how to go strong for 4 quarters and really emphasize discipline in crucial situations. This is and has been are largest failing for a long time. Doesn't take a genius to fix this aspect, just the right motivation.

if you want a perennial contender, start your rebuilding process at the top.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Seriously?
    So let me get this straight because you seem to be using different standards here:

It is OK for an OL to look at or below average because in your words they are missing guys and had to put new guys in there which made them less effective and also last year the secondary didn't play all that bad because they also had guys in there who didn't have much experience but yet when we have one starting DT out of there and have a new guy replacing the one that retired you are all over their shit for underperforming even though the DT's sure as hell outplayed the secondary in every phase of the game?

Seriously?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by kevoncox View Post
    Again,
    We are up 17-7 at one point in two games. We collapse in both. You can't tell me it's the Oline. This is squarely on the players.
    How about not using our TOs at the two min mark to stop the clock on 1st and goal. The Bucs ran the clock out and scored leaving us no time. That was an idiot move and cemented to me that our coaching staff is out gunned each Sunday.
    Aren't the OL considered players? If so didn't you just contradict yourself in 2 consecutive sentences?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    What's your definition of fixed?

Are you looking for the quickest path to a SB? Are you looking at your best chance to win a SB? Or are you trying to build a long term perennially contending SB team?

Probably all of the above if you're like most fans.

No matter what the desired goal is, I'm afraid the answer is far beyond what us casual yutz's can write in a thread. Rebuilding is the easy answer, but it only works if the people doing the rebuilding know what they are doing. And if you had those people, you probably wouldn't have to rebuild.

The vikings coaching staff is full of unproven guys that are led by a young owner with limited knowledge. A GM makes a lot of sense, but it should have been done before Frazier was hired. And then you have to hope that the right GM is brought in, which is a big question mark. Now that Frazier is here, I think you have to give him a chance to see how he steers the ship. At least through the season.

He is growing and may end up being a solid HC, but he didn't do himself any favors by bringing in Musgrave to take over the offense.

This discussion will have a lot more merit after the season is finished. For now, Frazier has to teach his players how to go strong for 4 quarters and really emphasize discipline in crucial situations. This is and has been are largest failing for a long time. Doesn't take a genius to fix this aspect, just the right motivation.

if you want a perennial contender, start your rebuilding process at the top.
    I probably fall into that category and would be fine with going through the process if they hired the right guy.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    Aren't the OL considered players? If so didn't you just contradict yourself in 2 consecutive sentences?
    Believe he meant coaches not players.....
    Too much talent

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast