Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OK- U fix it.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

OK- U fix it.

So now we have 2 weeks of collapse to digest and probably a good chunk of angst to get rid of so lets hear your armchair QB, spreadsheet column, and news feed oriented opinions on how the team needs to fix the hole they dug for themselves.

I will start by saying that I don't believe they can fix anything to the point that they make the playoffs or a run for the division. IMHO unless there are severe injuries to a few high profile QB's the only thing they have a chance to do is to start to transition to the future and build the team with youth and speed.

So what would I do? Well, I guess I would start with looking at the players we have and probably look real close at running those 2- 3 TE formations that will put our best athletes on the field. We have no real depth at WR so anyone other than Harvin and once in a while Jenkins is just diluting our depth on the field and if we are going to run and pass short then having Rudolph, Sasser and Shank on the field is a better mix than Berrian, Jenkins and Harvin and will give us added beef to plow holes for AP and Toby to run through.

The defense needs major work in the secondary and LB positions. The DL will be fine once we get KW back but in the secondary we look like we are always a step behind the competition and before anyone says the scheme just keeps us from getting burned deep that is now officially out the window too. And we also cannot make a tackle in the secondary. Not much can be done except to place fixing it as a high off season priority and doing what we can do to slow the bleeding in the mean time. I also think we need to look at whether EJ and Erin are really cutting it because they seem to be a notch behind what the playoff caliber teams have at those positions.

The coaching staff- They are not winning any popularity contests and for good reason. While the ship seems to be tighter the decisions on the field seem to be no better than we had last regime and with a decline in talent we need more and not less from the coaches. Hopefully Wilf and Spielman are evaluating this closely and if it isn't working hopefully they don't wait 5 years to change things. I would prefer to have a top notch GM brought in to run the team and I hope Wilf is looking at it too.

MulletMullitia is offline PP.O Ambassador
    Blog Entries
    Great thread Floyd. I wish I had a good response for you. I really don't know what to say. I truly believe we just don't have the personnel to get the job done. We have a couple players that are good enough to carry the team on their back (Adrian Peterson) for a couple scattered wins, but there isn't a way for this group to win consistently without some MAJOR changes. Not like play-calling or coaching changes. I am talking about personnel changes. I can't remember a time when the NFL had this many talented teams. We need to hope and pray that Ponder is a hit. And that we have the best draft since 2007. The win-now philosophy is so hard to abandon after that year we had in 2009. But we have to be realistic. Without a little luck and a stellar draft next offseason, this team could be headed for a total rebuild. From the Front Office all the way down to the practice team.

Sorry Rick! Keep up the good work.

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach
    I suppose the most dissapointing thing is the coaching as much as it doesnt appear (imo) to have changed from last year and that lost chilly his job. Hard to know whT to do and its times like this that the coach send front office guys earn their paycheck. A little part of me is wondering if the uncertainty of the stadium is having an effect.

Could the Wilfs be resigned to moving the franchise and will wait to make the decisions to rebuild? I would love to know what they are thinking right now. After last night I have no intention of pointing a finger because there didn't appear to be any one thing to point it at. Positive is that we aren't as bad as the lions were and we aren't as bad as the chiefs are. Looking forward to the future even if with some slight trepidation :-)
    Purple till i die

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MulletMullitia View Post
    Great thread Floyd. I wish I had a good response for you. I really don't know what to say. I truly believe we just don't have the personnel to get the job done. We have a couple players that are good enough to carry the team on their back (Adrian Peterson) for a couple scattered wins, but there isn't a way for this group to win consistently without some MAJOR changes. Not like play-calling or coaching changes. I am talking about personnel changes. I can't remember a time when the NFL had this many talented teams. We need to hope and pray that Ponder is a hit. And that we have the best draft since 2007. The win-now philosophy is so hard to abandon after that year we had in 2009. But we have to be realistic. Without a little luck and a stellar draft next offseason, this team could be headed for a total rebuild. From the Front Office all the way down to the practice team.
    It's OK MM. I know how you feel and I have been there myself in my younger days. You hit quite a few things square on the head and they all are reasons why I have been saying we just need to play the young guys and let them develop so they are ready to start the rebuilding process next year. We have been so average for so long it is hard to comprehend a season with only a few wins and I certainly am not happy with the prospect, but if it means we draft higher for a few years and get a great nucleus of players to build a great team around then I am much more willing to accept that than to plug a few holes with vets and continue to be mediocre at best.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    First and foremost. Find a DT that can play the 0 technique. Without one of these cats we have relied on (first game) a steady diet of LB'rs blitzing to help get pressure and that, for the most part, really didn't help much. In the second game we saw a small wrinkle, and that was the use of the S's up close to the line and tighter coverage by the CB's. Again, that helped to some degree, but when the chips were down and we really needed to pressure the QB, we found out that we can't do it with just the front 4.

My fix.....

Spielman and Company need to take a look at the following cats (or anyone else that might be available) and see if you can get one to show up and be a situational guy, especially late in the games....

a. Phat Pat
    b. Kris Jenkins
    c. Marcus Stroud

Again, don't need them to do much, especially early in the games, just need one to come in and eat up some blockers/collapse the pocket when we have to have just our front 4 get it done.

Second. I would find a fricken GM and hire him and give him full GM powers so that we don't have glaring holes like this on our roster.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    The DL will be fine once we get KW back
    Seriously?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    What I would do if I were in charge.

1: Hire a damn GM. Zygi needs to not be making ANY type of football decision, including what coaches to hire. Get a guy who makes a living doing that type of thing.

2: Get a WR. Dont' care if we have to trade (reasonable price though). Harvin can't be a one man corps, and we can't run 3 TE sets all day long. There are guys out there, we don't need a superstar, but someone who can be a threat to make plays. Berrian doesn't seem to be cutting it.

3: OL - at this point it will be tough to do anything about it, but it needs to be addressed big time in the offseason. Get two guards and a LT. Hutch is a FA next year I believe, and I don't see us bringing him back.

4: Call up Phat Pat. We miss him. Guion is NOT ready to be a full-time starter, despite what some here were claiming in preseason. Ayodele isn't really turning heads. Once K-W gets back, things should improve, but our interior line is in complete shambles right now.

5: Go back to the basics on O. No cute playcalling, we run, we throw the high percentage plays. Run Play action and draws. Once they show they can manage that, then expand from there. McNabb stays, but we need to improve. Would love to see more of the TE's and RB's involved int he passing game.

6: Get another LB. EJ/Greenway do fine, but there is an obvious dropoff after that. Lofa Tatupu is still a free agent.

7: Get a depth CB. So far our starters are actually playing fairly decently, but with Cook going down with injury, I'm concerned about our depth. Burton has skills, but is very raw still, and I dont' trust Asher whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    2: Get a WR. Dont' care if we have to trade (reasonable price though). Harvin can't be a one man corps, and we can't run 3 TE sets all day long. There are guys out there, we don't need a superstar, but someone who can be a threat to make plays. Berrian doesn't seem to be cutting it.

3: OL - at this point it will be tough to do anything about it, but it needs to be addressed big time in the offseason. Get two guards and a LT. Hutch is a FA next year I believe, and I don't see us bringing him back.

4: Call up Phat Pat. We miss him. Guion is NOT ready to be a full-time starter, despite what some here were claiming in preseason. Ayodele isn't really turning heads. Once K-W gets back, things should improve, but our interior line is in complete shambles right now.
    2. What would you do with this guy? Maybe all we need to do is have the staff throw it to him deep more than once a game. Until that happens, a deep threat isn't really needed now is it?

3. What is wrong with the way the Ol is playing now? Sure we dont' have HOF'rs at every position but they are not the problem.

4. Guion is fine as a starter, in the 3 technique role but not as a replacement for Phat Pat. The guy who is failing at that job is Remi and Evans. Hack on them, not Guion.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    2. What would you do with this guy? Maybe all we need to do is have the staff throw it to him deep more than once a game. Until that happens, a deep threat isn't really needed now is it?

3. What is wrong with the way the Ol is playing now? Sure we dont' have HOF'rs at every position but they are not the problem.

4. Guion is fine as a starter, in the 3 technique role but not as a replacement for Phat Pat. The guy who is failing at that job is Remi and Evans. Hack on them, not Guion.
    [/quote]

I never said deep threat, I said threat to make plays. Plays can be as simple as moving the chains. Currently, we seem to have a problem doing that. We can not have a legitimate passing offense with one receiver, we need somethign to work with. Percy isn't a guy who commands double coverage, due to his size, he's not a guy who's consisntently going to go up and get balls when he's covered. He still needs to get open. When a team can focus on the run, and lock down Harvin, our offense seems to stall. We need somebody who can at least be relied on to make catches, move the chains, if he can be a deep threat as well, great.

3. Whats wrong? More like what's right. Honestly, what do you see out of our line that has any semblance of acceptable?

4. Is Guion holding up on his end? No. I hack on everybody who isn't performing to a level tha is acceptable. Having KW back will help, but in the meantime, we need peole to step up, and nobody is doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post

I never said deep threat, I said threat to make plays. Plays can be as simple as moving the chains. Currently, we seem to have a problem doing that. We can not have a legitimate passing offense with one receiver, we need somethign to work with. Percy isn't a guy who commands double coverage, due to his size, he's not a guy who's consisntently going to go up and get balls when he's covered. He still needs to get open. When a team can focus on the run, and lock down Harvin, our offense seems to stall. We need somebody who can at least be relied on to make catches, move the chains, if he can be a deep threat as well, great.

3. Whats wrong? More like what's right. Honestly, what do you see out of our line that has any semblance of acceptable?

4. Is Guion holding up on his end? No. I hack on everybody who isn't performing to a level tha is acceptable. Having KW back will help, but in the meantime, we need peole to step up, and nobody is doing that.
    OK, did you have a problem with how we moved the chains yesterday? Seems like the spread between passing and running was pretty good (25 first downs, 12 rushing, 12 passing, 1 Penalty) and it wasn't just one WR involved (Read name, targets/receptions - Percy 8/7, Shanc 7/3, BB 4/1, AD, 2/2, Toby 1/1, Sauce 0/1, Arasmoshodu 0/2).

On a side note, even though the deep ones didn't connect with BB and Arasmoshodu, it was good to see them taking the shots. As I keep saying, that part will come with time.

What do you see wrong with the OL? Nice holes for AD and Toby. For the most part Dnabb had time to make the throws.

How can you say Guion isn't holding up to his end? Did you watch who was doubled? Surely you aren't going to say JA. Of the 5 QB hits, he had one, JA had 3 and Everson had 1. Could his numbers be up a bit more in tackles? Sure, but you have to go back and watch what they were doing to him to see why that wasn't gonna happen.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast