Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    mblack76 is offline Pro-Bowler

OK can someone explian this?

I was browsing through Yahoo stats and could not help but post this. How come VY is viewed as a better QB than T-Jack? Or better still, how come T-Jack is viewed as not being NFL calibre and VY is being touted as a great find?
    I just cant help but wonder. Here are the numbers from Yahoo...
    Name---Team--G----QBRat--Comp--Att--Pct---Yds---Y/G-----Y/A--TD--Int--Rush--Yds--Y/G---Avg--TD--Sack--YdsL--Fum--FumL
    Young----TEN---15----71.1--238---382--62.3--2546--169.7----6.7---9---17----93---395--26.3--4.2---3----25-----157-----9-----3
    Jackson--MIN---12----70.8--171---294--58.2--1911--159.3----6.5---9---12----54---260--21.7--4.8---3----19------70------5----3

Cutler----DEN---16----88.1--297---467--63.6--3497--218.6----7.5---20--14----44---205--12.8--4.7---1----27-----153-----11----4

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion

Re: OK can someone explian this?

"mblack76" wrote:
    I was browsing through Yahoo stats and could not help but post this. How come VY is viewed as a better QB than T-Jack? Or better still, how come T-Jack is viewed as not being NFL calibre and VY is being touted as a great find?
    Name---Team--G----QBRat--Comp--Att--Pct---Yds---Y/G-----Y/A--TD--Int--Rush--Yds--Y/G---Avg--TD--Sack--YdsL--Fum--FumL
    Young----TEN---15----71.1--238---382--62.3--2546--169.7----6.7---9---17----93---395--26.3--4.2---3----25-----157-----9-----3
    Jackson--MIN---12----70.8--171---294--58.2--1911--159.3----6.5---9---12----54---260--21.7--4.8---3----19------70------5----3

Cutler----DEN---16----88.1--297---467--63.6--3497--218.6----7.5---20--14----44---205--12.8--4.7---1----27-----153-----11----4
    Vince Young did alot in his rookie year and earned rookie of the year, plus made the big plays at the end of games to win. Jackson is starting to get more respect from the media but he is not a household name like vince young. Vince has been healthier than jackson too. Young had 600 more yards passing and 145 more rushing yards.
    When you look at career numbers vince young's are more impressive

pass yards

rush yards

total touchdowns

jackson

young

I think also it hurts Jackson that he plays behind the number one rushing attack in football. You do bring up a good point though, I will take jackson much more seriously now, and lower my view of Young(but I still think Young will be a great NFL Quarterback).

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"mblack76" wrote:
    A lot of people look at name recognition instead of actual performance.
    Young won ROY last year, so a lot of people assume that he is a great QB.
    The fact is that he isn't a bad QB, but he certainly didn't impress this year.

To be honest, I would take TJ over Young right now.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

seaniemck7 is offline Hall of Famer

You can't explain it.
    Its public perception; just as Favre is the golden boy and randy moss is the devil.
    Its how the media spins it all, and how the public simply accepts what they are told.

Like lemmings to the sea, sir.

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

IMO Jackson is a better passer than Young. Better arm, quicker release, can stand in the pocket(sometimes too long).

I think Vince Young is one of the more overrated players in the NFL. He's not an NFL caliber passer, he has awful mechanics, a stupid sidearm release, rolls out for 75% of passes he throws, and is extremely unintelligent.

Give it two years and we'll see Tarvaris Jackson is a far better quarterback than Vince Young.

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

"jmcdon00" wrote:
    "mblack76" wrote:

Vince Young did alot in his rookie year and earned rookie of the year, plus made the big plays at the end of games to win. Jackson is starting to get more respect from the media but he is not a household name like vince young. Vince has been healthier than jackson too. Young had 600 more yards passing and 145 more rushing yards.
    When you look at career numbers vince young's are more impressive

pass yards

rush yards

total touchdowns

jackson

young

I think also it hurts Jackson that he plays behind the number one rushing attack in football. You do bring up a good point though, I will take jackson much more seriously now, and lower my view of Young(but I still think Young will be a great NFL Quarterback).
    From those stats put in the stats that say why there is that much of a difference.
    For instance, VY has played 30 games and started 28 whereas TJ has played in 16 and started 14.
    VY has 739 passing attempts for 4745 yards with a 57.1% completion rate.
    TJ has 2386 yards with 375 attempts and a 58.1 completion rate.
    VY has 21 passing TDs and TJ has 11.
    Rushing, VY has 176 attempts for 947 yards (5.4 ypc) and 10 TDs whereas TJ has 69 attempts for 337 yards (4.9 YPC) and 4 TDs.

If you ask me (judging by the above stats) TJ is pretty close to the same pace as VY who won ROY last year.
    You can't just add career stats and say someone's better than the other until after they are done playing.
    Even then it will be controversy becasue they don't play on the same team with the same players and offense.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"Mr" wrote:
    IMO Jackson is a better passer than Young. Better arm, quicker release, can stand in the pocket(sometimes too long).

I think Vince Young is one of the more overrated players in the NFL. He's not an NFL caliber passer, he has awful mechanics, a stupid sidearm release, rolls out for 75% of passes he throws, and is extremely unintelligent.

Give it two years and we'll see Tarvaris Jackson is a far better quarterback than Vince Young.

I'm with you there

They are pretty simular right now

However I see improvment in T-jack.. Vince has stayed the same his career thus far

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"V4L" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:

I'm with you there

However I see improvment in T-jack.. Vince has stayed the same his career thus far
    I'm also with you two - because, as NP says, Vince Young does not seem to be progressing as he should after two years (not two complete years, mind you) as the starter.

Tarvaris is also cheaper.
    Much cheaper.
    That's a big consideration.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"Zeus" wrote:
    "V4L" wrote:
    "Mr" wrote:

I'm with you there

I'm also with you two - because, as NP says, Vince Young does not seem to be progressing as he should after two years (not two complete years, mind you) as the starter.

Tarvaris is also cheaper.
    Much cheaper.
    That's a big consideration.

=Z=
    If you take the stats away and look at the impact they've had on the outcome of the game, its hard to argue that TJ has had nearly the impact on winning games as Vince did in his rookie year.
    Vince's sophomore year was much less impressive, does this mean that he will continue to degrade into his third season?
    Where either will end up is hard to say, they might be spiraling down a career of frustration, they might end up being HOF'ers, or they might just be mediocre like 80% of the NFL QB's on rosters today.
    Overall career at this point I would definitely give to Vince. Best potential going forward, who knows.. but TJ has to show he can win games before he is deserving of comparison IMO.
    Its also hard to compare qb's without looking at the situations they are being asked to perform under, stats are meaningful but can be somewhat misleading, watching the games and how each player effects the outcome of the game is much more telling.

If you want to look at salary vs performance this year, then TJ might get the nod, but that's a different argument.

mblack76 is offline Pro-Bowler

Thanks guys

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast