Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Offseason progress reports: Minnesota Vikings

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/shu...urn=nfl,168219

Marrdro's comments follow:

I still chuckle to myself everytime I read a article that lauds us as a SB contender and in the next sentence says the HC is on the hotseat.

Anyone else find it ironic that a organization that is good enough to get a team up to that par is a organization that would want to jettison its Head Coach?

As I've said before, the only way the Chiller leaves is if he looses this locker room.
    To date, I haven't seen that happening, in fact, I think this locker room is 100% behind the ole Chiller and things would get ugly quick if he were fired.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

Re: Offseason progress reports: Minnesota Vikings

"Marrdro" wrote:

I still chuckle to myself everytime I read a article that lauds us as a SB contender and in the next sentence says the HC is on the hotseat.

Anyone else find it ironic that a organization that is good enough to get a team up to that par is a organization that would want to jettison its Head Coach?

As I've said before, the only way the Chiller leaves is if he looses this locker room.
    To date, I haven't seen that happening, in fact, I think this locker room is 100% behind the ole Chiller and things would get ugly quick if he were fired.
    Isn't that what the "Chilly Haters" have been saying all along? Childress can bring a great team together, but he can coach a game worth a damn.

I think that's evident of how bad our coach really is... everyone realizes that he is holding us back, except for a few (...ehm) Vikings fans.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

"C" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Isn't that what the "Chilly Haters" have been saying all along? Childress can bring a great team together, but he can coach a game worth a gol 'darnit.

I think that's evident of how bad our coach really is... everyone realizes that he is holding us back, except for a few (...ehm) Vikings fans.
    Well I don't think "Everyone" thinks he is holding us back.

I think that those in the know believe he (as well as the FO) have done a marvelous job getting this team back to what it used to be.
    Only thing holding it back, if one wants to go that route, is improvement at one position.

That position is arguably the hardest to fix.
    Until this year I don't thing this staff has had options to improve that position.

I for one would have like to seen a guy like Cutler or Cassell on the team and wondered why a bigger push wasn't made.
    After Tony D's comments about Cutler and why the Bronco's let him go, I wonder if we didn't do the right thing and not give up the bank for him.

Still leaves Cassell hanging out there.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

kspurplepride is offline Pro-Bowler

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

Isn't that what the "Chilly Haters" have been saying all along? Childress can bring a great team together, but he can coach a game worth a gol 'darnit.

I think that those in the know believe he (as well as the FO) have done a marvelous job getting this team back to what it used to be.
    Only thing holding it back, if one wants to go that route, is improvement at one position.

Until this year I don't thing this staff has had options to improve that position.

I for one would have like to seen a guy like Cutler or Cassell on the team and wondered why a bigger push wasn't made.
    After Tony D's comments about Cutler and why the Bronco's let him go, I wonder if we didn't do the right thing and not give up the bank for him.

why would we have wanted a glorified HS QB that played with the best recieving core in the NFL last year? Obviously the Patriots knew exactly what I've been saying for the past 8 months. The kid is a joke, hence why they dumped him off for free in the Vrable trade to KC. Vrable was worth the second round pick even in the decline of his career... I'll put my money says he doesn't start more than 10 games this year... and if he does there is no chance in hell he makes it to anything more than maybe (and thats a big maybe) 3000 yards passing

"kspurplepride" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

why would we have wanted a glorified HS QB that played with the best recieving core in the NFL last year? Obviously the Patriots knew exactly what I've been saying for the past 8 months. The kid is a joke, hence why they dumped him off for free in the Vrable trade to KC. Vrable was worth the second round pick even in the decline of his career... I'll put my money says he doesn't start more than 10 games this year... and if he does there is no chance in hell he makes it to anything more than maybe (and thats a big maybe) 3000 yards passing
    You can have the best WR corp on the field, but that HS QB still needed to make the reads and the throws.
    Don't know what your beef is with the kid, but he sure didn't look like a joke last year.
    Lord knows that OL sure didn't help him out much.
    :

As to what the Pats knew?
    They knew that a certain GM was gonna covet the QB he drafted so they upped the ante and hit them with a 14+ cap hit. Additionally, as with Cassell, they knew that they had another youngster waiting in the wings to do exactly what Cassell did last year if Brady goes down again.

kspurplepride is offline Pro-Bowler

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "kspurplepride" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

You can have the best WR corp on the field, but that HS QB still needed to make the reads and the throws.
    Don't know what your beef is with the kid, but he sure didn't look like a joke last year.
    Lord knows that OL sure didn't help him out much.
    :

As to what the Pats knew?
    They knew that a certain GM was gonna covet the QB he drafted so they upped the ante and hit them with a 14+ cap hit. Additionally, as with Cassell, they knew that they had another youngster waiting in the wings to do exactly what Cassell did last year if Brady goes down again.
    I'm just not sold on the media hype on players. Cassel did two things last season, throw bombs to Moss and throw dumps to Welker, Faulk, and Brady. He through only about 25 passes between 7 and 25 yards last year, and his completion percentage on those passes was marginal at best. Theres a reason this kid sat in college, and was marginal at best in considerations as a backup. Looked what happened to Derek Anderson when his recieving core stopped performing for him... he went from being a pro bowl quarterback to riding the pine. The difference, Anderson is a physically gifted quarterback, big arm, above average decision making, and made a big impact for a team that had a mediocre run game, and an average at best defense. The sign of a good QB is often blaimed on his oline. Look how many sacks the packers gave up in the wake of Favre leaving. If I remember correctly it was +15, because of Rodgers slower release and decision making. Brady virtually never got touched in their 16-0 season two years ago, but Cassel was on his back quite a bit last year. Correct me if i'm wrong, but it was the same front five... Now he has one above average reciever to throw to in Bowe, who will be eating double teams all year next year, and a joke of a running game with an average at best defense. He will struggle, and very well might lose his starting position to a physically more gifted Thigpen, who played very well last season with little help.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I'm agreeing with C Mac.
    We win in spite of Chiller.
    He's like the Norv Turner of the NFC.
    He can put together the most talented team in the history of the NFL...and coach it right into 3rd place in the Division.

So when the pundits say we're a superbowl caliber team, they refer to the talent on the field (except at QB), and when they say Chiller is in the hot seat, it's due to his inability to get the most out of that talent, and his inability to correct that QB issue.

Makes perfect sense to anyone not in the Chiller Fan Club...

Caine

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own

"Caine" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I'm agreeing with C Mac.
    He can put together the most talented team in the history of the NFL...and coach it right into 3rd place in the Division.

So when the pundits say we're a superbowl caliber team, they refer to the talent on the field (except at QB), and when they say Chiller is in the hot seat, it's due to his inability to get the most out of that talent, and his inability to correct that QB issue.

Caine
    Getting praise from me is probably like a scarlet letter on these boards... but good post.

+1
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

"C" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "C" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

I'm agreeing with C Mac.

Caine
    Getting praise from me is probably like a scarlet letter on these boards... but good post.

+1
    awww.. we all aim to please the mighty C mac D, but he's favouring Caine now

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Thanks for the article... it seems most of these guys are typing from no man's land. Granted Sullivan has never started a game in the NFL, football is not unfarmilair to him, he started 33 games at Notre Dame in a Pro Sytle Offense. He doesn't seem to be sure about Sullivan at all or any logical reason to believe he will fail, other than he's inexperienced on the NFL Level. Everyone has to start somewhere. Personally I think it's good move to have a new QB of the Offensive Line and this one's hungry for it. Matt Birk left from what I understand, he took his offer to Baltamore and they matched it. Sometimes change is good, and I'm not sure we can't get better, given all the Oline problems we have had.

I wanted Sullivan to start this year, and it is early but so far I think he's been able to get alot done since he was drafted. Hence why I don't panic about Birk. Same with Darren Sharper, I couldn't be more happy with Tyrell Johnson.

I'm probably in the Chiller Fan Club but I definitly understand the underachievement involved during his era and quite frustrating at that. The lack of utilizing talent has been worry some at times. Overall though he keeps making the team better and better every year. So if our Record gets better and we do bigger things Chiller is going to stay around. If he's good enough at emassing talent/finding players that believe in what they do, then Chiller will have saved his job by doing his job. Up front we manage scouting and salary as well as anyone in the leauge. It's going to be hard for Childress to get himself fired IMO. The team is too good, the competition keeps getting better, and the Potential is Phenominal. Childress has "grown" on the veterans so to speak and the younger guys coming in are hungry, they find good football players with the right mind set.

I think at the same time that the roster is getting better with the player talent level, Childress gets the opportunity to improve himself, along with the likes of Darrel Bevel. Hopefully they take coaching and honesty as well as they expect the players too.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast