Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Offord is switched back to strong safety

[size=18px]Offord is switched back to strong safety[/size]

Mark Craig and Judd Zulgad
    Star Tribune

Last update: July 28, 2006 – 9:41 PM

MANKATO - After spending most of the offseason working at free safety, Willie Offord was switched back to strong safety after the Vikings signed free agent Dwight Smith this week.
    "It isn't that much different in this defense," Offord said. "They're very similar positions. I'm figuring Dwight will be at free and Darren [Sharper] will be the strong."

Vikings defensive coordinator Mike Tomlin said Smith will learn both safety positions but echoed Offord's statements by saying, "Really, schematically, the safety positions are essentially the same in this system."

Offord said the signing of Smith came as no surprise considering the close relationship between Smith and Tomlin, who was Smith's position coach in Tampa Bay. "This is a business," Offord said. "I figured once New Orleans released Smith, he was on his way here."

Offord was a special-teams leader and finally was emerging as a safety when his 2005 season was cut short after only three games because of a knee injury.

"I still feel like I can easily make the team," Offord said. "It's just I'm going back to more of a role position and continuing to play well on special teams. What role that is, I don't know, but I'm taking the same approach I've taken the last four years."

Offord said he's "anxious" to test his knee in full pads later in camp.

"I want to get it done, just to tell myself I can still do it," he said.

Getting his kicks

Chris Kluwe, who had offseason surgery to repair a torn ACL in his right knee, handled the majority of the punting in the morning practice Friday. It was the first time Kluwe was able to punt without restrictions since having the surgery.

"It felt great," he said. "It might get a little swollen afterwards, but you just go ice it and it will be gone by the next day. It feels 100 percent right now."

Kluwe suffered the injury in early December against Detroit. He said he doesn't regret the fact he continued to punt. "The doctors said that there's about a six-month recovery time, and I'm right at six months," Kluwe said. "I figured if I do my rehab well, work as hard as I can, I should be ready to go since the rehab time is an average."

Running quarterbacks

It was almost noon on a ridiculously hot day when quarterbacks J.T. O'Sullivan and Mike McMahon decided to run eight 100-yard sprints at the conclusion of the morning practice.

McMahon said they were getting in shape for Monday's conditioning test. "I didn't run Thursday," McMahon said. "If we go Friday, Saturday, Sunday without running, Monday isn't going to be a whole lot of fun."

Battling the heat

Coach Brad Childress continually reminded players to stay hydrated during Friday's practices, which were conducted in mid-90-degree temperatures. The forecast is for a high of 97 today and 99 on Sunday.

Offord is switched back to strong safety

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Offord is switched back to strong safety

Coach Brad Childress continually reminded players to stay hydrated during Friday's practices, which were conducted in mid-90-degree temperatures. The forecast is for a high of 97 today and 99 on Sunday.
    I just can't imagine working out in that kind of heat! Must be brutel.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Prophet Guest

KFFL
    Vikings | Offord believes he is the odd man out
    Sat, 29 Jul 2006 09:54:46 -0700

Sean Jensen, of the Pioneer Press, reports Minnesota Vikings SS Willie Offord believes he is the odd man out now that the team has signed SS Dwight Smith. Assuming FS Darren Sharper starts at one safety position, Smith would compete with Offord and SS Tank Williams for the other. Offord said, "Everybody's expectation going into this week was that Tank and I would be competing for the job. I'm pretty sure that's all changed now with bringing in Dwight. I can't be upset. I can't be bitter about the situation. Obviously, I'm coming off an ACL injury. Everything's looking good now, but as coaches, you never know what's going to happen."

thetrenches68OL is offline Asst. Coach

tank has that spot locked down
    The Trenches are where Games are Decided

Hutch and K. Will baby

sig by PurplePeopleEaters

V-Unit is offline Jersey Retired

I really thought Offord would eventually have his chance to start for the Vikes, but one injury and a new coach changed all that. Tomlin was also talking very highly of Dustin Fox, and we just drafted a safety in Greg Blue as well, making Offord's chances to make the team even lower. Maybe we will keep him to add depth at CB?

Otherwise I think he is trade bait. We could use much more depth at LB and DL.
    "I hate when threads are destroyed by facts and logic."
    - Prophet

Thanks Josdin!

Tanner_QBRB8 is offline Pro-Bowler

offord has proven himself much more than fox or blue so i think that offord should stay if anybody has to be traded or cut it should be dustin fox but that wont happen

Vikes is offline Team Alumni

Looks like Offord is taking it in stride. Is this new guy [Dwight Smith] we picked up that good?

The rigors of Spartan life. Leonidas is cast out into the wild, and survives the harsh winter to return to his home, when he is crowned King ....a Viking!

"COJOMAY" wrote:
    I just can't imagine working out in that kind of heat! Must be brutel.
    i hate practicing in it!! i have 2-day practices coming up on AUG. 7th and i am already dreading the mid 90s heat!!!!!!!!
    http://www.myspace.com/pooptin

BadlandsVikings is offline Jersey Retired

I feel sorry for them working out in that heat, but that's part of making all that money.

Braddock is offline Hall of Famer

"Vikes" wrote:
    Looks like Offord is taking it in stride. Is this new guy [Dwight Smith] we picked up that good?
    Here's 13 pages of opinions.D. Smith
    Trying to bring rationale to an irrational site

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast