Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Offord at Nickel LB?

I do think that Ranallo (?) Smith might have taken another step back again, and that Offered is being moved to Linebacker to give us another body in that position, because Smith probably will not make the team.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

TWISTED is offline Training Camp

Offord at Nickel LB?

Smith was an awful 2nd round pick, so it doesnt surprise me that a FS took his spot. Offord cant start at safety, so what makes you think he can play LB? He's like a lost little puppy out there...thats why a QB took his spot at FS.
    cf7231f7c41f3d4c4e95634c9d920584

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Offord at Nickel LB?

"TWISTED" wrote:
    Smith was an awful 2nd round pick, so it doesnt surprise me that a FS took his spot. Offord cant start at safety, so what makes you think he can play LB? He's like a lost little puppy out there...thats why a QB took his spot at FS.

First off, it isn't me that thinks he can play LB, it is the coaches. 2nd, LB is a totally different position than FS, so just because he won't start ahead of russell at FS, doesn't mean he isn't good enough to play nickel LB. I fail to see your logic.

Offord at Nickel LB?

"whackthepack" wrote:
    I do think that Ranallo (?) Smith might have taken another step back again, and that Offered is being moved to Linebacker to give us another body in that position, because Smith probably will not make the team.

Actually offord has been playing the nickel LB spot for a while now, even when the coaches were talking about how good raonall smith has been looking in camp. It wasn't a move after they saw smith struggle, since offord was practicing nickel LB already.

vikesfan is offline Starter

Offord at Nickel LB?

I am not sure about moving Offord to linebacker. We already have a lot of young, inexperienced linebackers on our team, but at least they have played that position through college and up until this point. What I would be curious about is whether he could play cornerback for us. I am still a little concerned about our cornerback depth and if he's as promising as I have heard, why not try that position? Has anybody heard if that's a possibility? Behind our two starters, Winfield and Williams, I think Offord could compete for the nickelback, if not the fourth db slot.

Offord at Nickel LB?

"vikesfan" wrote:
    I am not sure about moving Offord to linebacker. We already have a lot of young, inexperienced linebackers on our team, but at least they have played that position through college and up until this point. What I would be curious about is whether he could play cornerback for us. I am still a little concerned about our cornerback depth and if he's as promising as I have heard, why not try that position? Has anybody heard if that's a possibility? Behind our two starters, Winfield and Williams, I think Offord could compete for the nickelback, if not the fourth db slot.

He is still playing FS, just moving to nickel LB when we use nickel D. Don't get this confused with him moving to LB all together. He is playing Nickel LB because it is obviously a pass D formation and because of his coverage skills.

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Offord at Nickel LB?

"muchluv4moss" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:

Actually offord has been playing the nickel LB spot for a while now, even when the coaches were talking about how good raonall smith has been looking in camp. It wasn't a move after they saw smith struggle, since offord was practicing nickel LB already.

That was the first couple days of camp, what I am hearing is that he has fallen off and that it doesn't look like he is doing well and might not make the team.

Skoll qoute:
    Exactly my point whackthepack. It's been what - 20 years?

That was just one example, that it can sometimes work. Birk was a guard moved to cneter when Lowdermilk left, and David Dixon was a D-Lineman when he came into the league.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

Offord at Nickel LB?

"whackthepack" wrote:
    [quote]"muchluv4moss" wrote:
    "whackthepack" wrote:

That was the first couple days of camp, what I am hearing is that he has fallen off and that it doesn't look like he is doing well and might not make the team.

Oh, I thought you were trying to say that since raonall smith was struggling at nickel LB, that Tice must have decided to try offord at nickel LB, but offord was playing that spot before smith started to struggle.

TWISTED is offline Training Camp

Offord at Nickel LB?

Muchluv4moss, my point is that he's a wash. A converted QB took his place b/c he's just not very good. He's a simply a second stringer, and I dont want to see him in the nickle package. He couldnt learn to play centerfield, so I seriously doubt that he'll learn to play LB in a few weeks. Just my opinion.
    cf7231f7c41f3d4c4e95634c9d920584

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Offord at Nickel LB?

That was just one example, that it can sometimes work. Birk was a guard moved to cneter when Lowdermilk left, and David Dixon was a D-Lineman when he came into the league.

When Kirk Lowdermilk left?? Do you mean Jeff Christy? Lowdermilk was a LONG time ago!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast