Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Offord at Nickel LB?

Just read that Offord has passed Raonall smith as a nickel LB. What do you guys think about using offord at nickel LB? I like the idea. He is a talented kid, who we need to find away to get on the field. He is about the same size as nattiel and is quick as well. I am interested to see how he does in preseason as a nickel LB. I know nattiel, DT, and claiborne all want to be out there on nickel downs, but only 2 guys can. I would bet on nattiel and DT, but who knows.

Chicago Mike is offline Waterboy

Offord at Nickel LB?

He's ALWAYS been a player, looking for the right position.

Maybe this is it. Safety just didn't seem to fit, although he looks
    the part.

We'll see.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Offord at Nickel LB?

I just hate to see guys switching positions to fit the needs of the team. Be honest, when was the last time that worked? Tackles to ends, ends to tackles, weekside LB to strong side and vice versa. Chavous to Safety was a good move, but he's more of a leader of the defense, and was well suited to the position. Maybe I'm wrong..., and I would like to see Offord work out. I'm just a skeptic.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Offord at Nickel LB?

great question but I think the coaches know what they are doing, they won't know untill the helmets hit the gridiron, and hopefully have a back-up inplace if it doesn't time will tell
    Yesterday is History
    Tomorrow a Mystery
    TODAY is a GIFT that is why WE
    call it the "PRESENT"

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Offord at Nickel LB?

"SKOL" wrote:
    I just hate to see guys switching positions to fit the needs of the team. Be honest, when was the last time that worked? Tackles to ends, ends to tackles, weekside LB to strong side and vice versa. Chavous to Safety was a good move, but he's more of a leader of the defense, and was well suited to the position. Maybe I'm wrong..., and I would like to see Offord work out. I'm just a skeptic.
    Have to agree with you on that, unless its a position that a guy's played before then I'm dubious as as how well it can really work. I'd rather see them stick at their old position and work/fight harder for a spot
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

Offord at Nickel LB?

Chris Doleman was drafted as a linebacker and was switched to end during his first year (about half way through the season if I am remembering right), that worked OK.
    What we've got here is failure to communicate.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion

Offord at Nickel LB?

How big is Offord? Does he have the size to play linebacker? I know it would be a linebacker in nickel situations, but still, I thought he was a smaller guy!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

purplepat is offline Hall of Famer

Offord at Nickel LB?

I think Offord goes somewhere around 221 lbs. He can lay the licks on. You wouldn't want him out there as a regular LB because he is too small. But if you're looking for someone who would be fairly quick in pass coverage, covering RBs, TEs, and slot WRs, as well as deal with the occasional draw, etc., then Offord would probably do well.
    SKOL VIKINGS!

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Offord at Nickel LB?

Exactly my point whackthepack. It's been what - 20 years?

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

muchluv4smoot is offline Team Alumni

Offord at Nickel LB?

"purplepat" wrote:
    I think Offord goes somewhere around 221 lbs. He can lay the licks on. You wouldn't want him out there as a regular LB because he is too small. But if you're looking for someone who would be fairly quick in pass coverage, covering RBs, TEs, and slot WRs, as well as deal with the occasional draw, etc., then Offord would probably do well.

Yeah, offord is really only a few lbs lighter than nattiel. Since he has played safety already, he should fit in really well as a nickel LB, playing coverages, maybe better than any LB we have. I still see nattiel and dontarrious as our nickel LB's, and claiborne has been telling tice he wants to be out there on nickel as well. Personally I would rather have nattiel and DT's speed out there, than have claiborne's experience. It does seem like offord has a long way to go before we see him starting in our nickel D, but I like the idea of trying to find a way to get him on the field.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast