Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast
    C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    As I said from the time Frazier was made HC and Spielman was anointed GM... things won't change until we see an entire new regime in the FO, including new ownership.

Did anyone really think we had a chance against the Bears? Seriously?
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

And the Ponder/Webb debate is stupid. Neither are fit to be a starter in this league... but that's what you can expect with Spielman (who is also responsible for our WR situation and awful John Carlson contract).

Going back to his days as GM in Miami, name a viable starting QB he's found (aside from Bret Favre)...

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    It looks like Holmgren is a free agent.
    Hell no. After what he did to the Browns, I have no interest of him even coming close to the Vikings. He should just retire at this point.
    Last edited by C Mac D; 11-26-2012 at 01:17 PM.

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Did anyone really think we had a chance against the Bears? Seriously?
    I didn't necessarily think we'd win, but I certainly thought the game would be much closer. But in my defense, I was under the impression that we had a pretty good DL and thought they'd have an easier time navigating through the Bears patchwork OL, much like the 9ers did Monday night. And it didn't help that all our receivers decided to pick the same game to give their best Troy Williamson impersonation. Throw in the fact that we had 14 days to prepare, the Bears had 6 and a long trip home. Well you'd think there would be a chance in there somewhere.

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach
    And the Ponder/Webb debate is stupid. Neither are fit to be a starter in this league... but that's what you can expect with Spielman (who is also responsible for our WR situation and awful John Carlson contract).

Going back to his days as GM in Miami, name a viable starting QB he's found (aside from Bret Favre)...
    How is it a stupid debate? We need a QB. We have one who blows hot and cold but we know what we have and another who is neither a QB or a WR and we need to know if he needs replacing. The only sensible thing to do is give him a go and see what effect it has on our draft strategy if he sucks worse than Ponder.
    Purple till i die

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I can see what guys like Singer are saying about giving Ponder the year to make his case and then deciding after that what to do with him but I would like to add that he is not the only one being evaluated and I think it is only fair to at least give Webb or Hyphenated man a shot with the same group of players to see how the team works with a different trigger man.

The coaches are also evaluating the line, the WR's etc and only having Ponders play determine whether those groups are performing might not give a true test. If we put Webb in there and everything else looks the same then we can know that either it is not all the QB's fault. If we put Webb in there and all of a sudden some of the problems go away and we start to move the ball then we might be more comfortable about some on the roster that don't look real good right now.

At this point i don't think it is going to hurt anything to bring in Webb for a few quarters to see what the team looks like with a different trigger man. I wouldn't just stick him in for a few random plays though. I would want quality time and a decent amount of series to see if things look different.
    Yes, good post.

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

I don't even think that was Spielman. I think that was mostly Favre and Bevell.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Why is it no one is complaining that we have no receivers in games that we win, especially a game when Ponder hits 9 different receivers, completes 75% of his 32 passes & Harvin isn't even playing?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Why is it no one is complaining that we have no receivers in games that we win, especially a game when Ponder hits 9 different receivers, completes 75% of his 32 passes & Harvin isn't even playing?
    +1

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    The same reason nobody was complaining about that we need a new QB after the Lions game. Because like Ponder, our receivers have good games and bad games. Against the Lions both the QB and the WR corps had good games.

Believe it or not, this was not one of Ponder's worst games IMHO. He played better against the Bears than he did against the Cardinals or the Seahawks. I would put both of those losses primarily on Ponder. Against the Bears, he had several balls that were right on target and simply dropped. I think we counted nine. Now I know what people will say - great QBs win games despite dropped balls - and they would be correct. But Ponder is not a great QB, at least not now. He needs the WRs to be on their game for us to win, just like the WRs need him to be on his game for us to win. Against the Bears, the WRs were way off. The only WR who did anything worth a crap was Wright. Not saying that Ponder was amazing, but just saying that the WRs were more of the problem against the Bears.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast