Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast
    Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    At this point i don't think it is going to hurt anything to bring in Webb for a few quarters to see what the team looks like with a different trigger man. I wouldn't just stick him in for a few random plays though. I would want quality time and a decent amount of series to see if things look different.
    In 5 of the last 6 games Ponder has struggled in the 1st half and into the 3rd quarter. There's no reason why Webb couldn't have come in in relief in some of those games. Not only does Webb excel in those situations but it would have been a great opportunity to find out if the problem is indeed Ponder or the supporting cast while evaluating Webb at the same time. And hell, maybe Ponder riding the bench would light a fire under his ass.

It just seems like an easy solution to me. If you're not sure what the problem is, then you plug in a different piece and see if anything changes, but no, Frazier just keeps going with the same old failed formula and we keep having the same old tired debate. Put Webb in when Ponder struggles and lets end this debate already.

Good grief, you'd think this franchise would learn from it's own mistakes. We just went through this same crap with Childress and Tjoke.

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    Marc, got two more years of misery than you! Right about Peterson, we are wasting him. His window is closing. Poor guy is set to be the Vikings' Barry Sanders.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    I can see what guys like Singer are saying about giving Ponder the year to make his case and then deciding after that what to do with him but I would like to add that he is not the only one being evaluated and I think it is only fair to at least give Webb or Hyphenated man a shot with the same group of players to see how the team works with a different trigger man.

The coaches are also evaluating the line, the WR's etc and only having Ponders play determine whether those groups are performing might not give a true test. If we put Webb in there and everything else looks the same then we can know that either it is not all the QB's fault. If we put Webb in there and all of a sudden some of the problems go away and we start to move the ball then we might be more comfortable about some on the roster that don't look real good right now.

At this point i don't think it is going to hurt anything to bring in Webb for a few quarters to see what the team looks like with a different trigger man. I wouldn't just stick him in for a few random plays though. I would want quality time and a decent amount of series to see if things look different.
    I don't know that putting in Webb for evaluation purposes makes any sense. I think the offense would need to change significantly with him in the game and I don't think it is a long term sustainable approach.

I have no problem however, in putting Webb in games where Ponder and the offense is clearly struggling. He very well could add a spark. That is assuming that winning that particular game is the primary objective.

Ponder had his share of bad throws yesterday and they were very dangerous bad throws (sailing high over the middle of the field). I think he was rattled by the pressure, but he needs to overcome this if he is going to amount to anything. I also think the receivers did him no favors by dropping what seemed a record number of balls. Not used to catching cold footballs, Ponder throwing harder than normal? Simpson especially stunk it up, and might have just determined his fate with this franchise. I would sure like to see our receivers using their hands more to try and catch the ball.

Rudolph seemed to be the guy Ponder was most comfortable with targeting, after him it was Wright. What does that say about the rest of them? Aromawhatever, Jenkins, Burton, Carlson, Simpson all proved to be undependable yesterday.

Hmmm..maybe Musgrave should have ran the ball more??

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Well I can say that for me at least I would thrilled if the offense was changed significantly. That is part of the point.

Well I can say that for me at least I would thrilled if the offense was changed significantly. That is part of the point.
    I highly doubt that is the change you are looking for.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    I highly doubt that is the change you are looking for.
    Well, true. The change I am looking for is a whole new FO from the top down but I have as much faith in that happening as in the Vikings beating the Packers by 40 when they play.

That being said, if you look at my post again I did say that I would also be open to seeing Hyphen Man run the offense for a while to see what happens. Just for the record.

vikesrgreat2 is offline Starter
    Blog Entries
    My comments on this loss by the Vikings:

1. Too many drops by our receiving corps. This is especially true for Jerome Simpson. This must be addressed before our next game!

2. The defense allowed the Bears to convert too many first downs. This kept the Chicago drives alive, and allowed the Bears to blow out the Vikings in the first half.

3. Nice game by AD. What would have happened if he would have had 10 more carries in the game?

4. When do we get Percy Harvin back? Why can't Harvin and Wright both start? That would allow us to spread the field, helping our offense with point production. (10 points won't win many games.)

5. Loved the physicality of the Vikings' defense. Five Bears knocked out of the game? My father would have loved it!

6. As fans, we need to remember that the Vikings are 6-5, and are still alive for the playoff race. They need to learn from this loss and fix as much as they can so they can play better against what will be a very upset, angry Green Bay team.

SKOL VIKINGS!

Well, true. The change I am looking for is a whole new FO from the top down but I have as much faith in that happening as in the Vikings beating the Packers by 40 when they play.

That being said, if you look at my post again I did say that I would also be open to seeing Hyphen Man run the offense for a while to see what happens. Just for the record.
    Consider it recorded.

McBLT or Hyphen Man probably makes more sense if they think Ponder has hit his ceiling.

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by gamecocksbaseball31 View Post
    Sean Payton, anyone?
    How about this Greg Roman from SF? I like his playcalling, he knows how to exploit opposing defenses from what I have seen, so far.

Blog Entries
    It looks like Holmgren is a free agent.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast