Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicNed View Post
    i think it's only the second time in my life that i turned the game off, near the middle of the fourth quarter. Took my son fishing instead of watching the outcome. oh, how did we do fishing you ask? About as good a job as our WR's did holding onto passes, put it this way, came home and said, Honey, you better put that pork in the oven.....
    Hey at least we didn't look as bad as the Pukers ....

thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by snowinapril View Post
    Let's not use the word a "young team."

Let's clarify this it isn't about young and old and it isn't about firing everyone.

We are a team that is rebuilding. We are not elite so we are building. Every team is in a constant state of building, we are just further behind the Bears, Packers, Atlanta, Giants, Niners and a handful of other teams out there. (At least we beat the motor city kitties twice)

I think that because we got off to a quick start everyone is expecting us to be a winning team. We were world beater when we beat the 49ers and we were who they thought we were when we got beat by the Colts. We are not elite or anywhere close to that. I am not saying anyone said we were, but it seems like there are expectations like we are. If we make the playoffs like this, we are a one and done team. I am still looking for a .500 finish. If we could squeak out a home win against the Bears and the Packers, we might have a chance for the wild card, but where would that get us. It gives us hope that we are better than we might be. It also gives us a chance at that prize we all have been waiting for, a Super Bowl victory. That is why we endure games like today, we hope for a chance.
    Agreed. Well said.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    soldier field.. on the road in a tuff environment, a HUGE game, extra time off to rest up people, plan, and prepare.. the stage was set for a Viking upset, and miracle season to continue being just that.. miracle!!

we didn't execute.. that's pretty much what it all boils down to.

sure you can #!$%# and moan to hand it to AP more, but then why should we even have play action in the playbook? on the td pass. it was play action that got Rudy to open. ALL of the D keyed in on stopping AP.

WRs. when your job is to catch.. you should do ALL you can to catch the ball. if it hits you on the chest.. well for !@#%!%#$ sake..

there was sooo much hype that the bears Oline is garbage, like swiss cheese holes everywhere. really? they did some things to cover that up. quick passes, Cutler got away from some big hits, sacks. we were 1/2 step to late on 5 different passes i saw. the preasure was there, but never enouf to stop the play. congrats to Cutler for sticking in there, making time when he dind't have any, and making his throws.

Oline.. well.. they're like any other part of the team, growing, improving, and making mistakes. there was some dirty plays going on in there. like. DT's knocking away the LT so the DE could get free inside.. that's creativity!! kudos to the bears for doing what they had to to win.

AP.. he is a beast, he is the best, but he cannot do it alone. we NEED to use the playaction.. without it we will be stuck in the kitty land for as many years as we have AP. (this is for all you who second guess when a play doesn't work becuase it wasn't in AP's hands.) what if one of those passing plays worked? the wr caught the pass and we get the 1st, or TD.. you'd be singing a diferent tune.. ok. we didn't execute..

7 other teams have lost to the bears, and some by much larger scores. did we really expect the Vikes, in the 2nd year of a franchise rebuild to be nfc leaders? we probably have the hardest division in the NFC if not the NFL..

we go to GB next, who really do have oline issues, who are without many players, and coming off an embarassing loss. again. on the road, tuff environment.. and here's hoping we execute,

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
    Of course he has scouts...every GM has that. Its his job to make the best of that information, and in his first year in control he had an excellent draft. To hate on him for signing Carlson and Simpson is foolish IMO. Carlson has been an obvious bust thus far. Simpson was a one year flyer on a MAJOR need for us and not a bad signing in my estimation. So he didn't work out, that's why he was only given a one year deal.

I won't judge Speilman on FA acquisitions or lack there of as it is my belief that you build a team through the draft and use FA for depth and to occasionally fill a needed hole.

And yes, our coaches are absolutely unable to develop talent and teach success. That's why I say we should scrap them all and start over. Let Speilman make the hires and then we will be able to judge his abilities as a GM or lack there of.
    My belief is that you need to do both, especially when you have holes you can't address in the draft. When you lose a veteran player to FA, typically that player is damn good & you can't always replace those players with a rookie fresh out of the draft. Not every draft pick is going to pan out & if you get 2 or 3 good ones, I think you're doing pretty good, although it's not guaranteed every year.

You also need to retain the good players you have. Those are FA signings too, if you haven't locked them down prior to their rookie contract expiring. If you continually lose your veterans to FA & have to replace then with draft picks that may or may not pan out, then you may have not improved your team.

Even teams like GB, who build thru the draft, have brought in players like Woodson, Saturday & Benson to name a few.

Ideally, IMO, you eventually get to the point where you have damn good backups that can slide right in if you lose the starter to FA or have cap space issues, without greatly impacting the position.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by NordicNed View Post
    i think it's only the second time in my life that i turned the game off, near the middle of the fourth quarter. Took my son fishing instead of watching the outcome. oh, how did we do fishing you ask? About as good a job as our WR's did holding onto passes, put it this way, came home and said, Honey, you better put that pork in the oven.....
    I didn't realize Margie & David were back state side already. Good to hear & I hope all is going well & you're up & about.

As usual, I watched the game in it's entirety waiting with that glimmer of hope that something would happen & put us back in it.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Official Vikings vs. Bears postgame discussion

I wonder if Wilf could check google and see if there are any cyber Monday sales on quality NFL GMs that he could pull the trigger on to build this team because it is clear the team today looks much like the team has for probably 8 years now.

If anyone thinks this staff and this roster is somehow going to look different with more time well good luck with that.

kingpin9995 is offline Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by thorshammer View Post
    Another disappointing game for sure. I do wonder why we always seem unprepared to play these critical games. Our coaches seem to lack the ability to get our guys up for this type of game. We made some key mistakes again. I can't blame it on Ponder I still think he deserves more time. Our receivers need to catch the ball. If we win a couple more games we still will have done better than any of us thought we would. Ups and downs of a young team ... kind of expected.
    My God, it does not take a genius to see that Ponder just does not have the goods. It's all true about him coming out of college.. He's smart, BUT he has a weak arm and cannot make all the throws necessary to succeed at the next level. It's so easy to see that this guy just does not have the arm to be a top notch NFL qb. Musgrave stays away from the middle of the field with Ponder because you see what happens when he goes there. He throws picks or gets guys killed. Watching him is maddening. Every 7 out of 10 drop backs he never lets the ball go on. He rarely throws the ball on time. He's another Chad Pennington but with a weaker arm. I've said all along that if you gave Webb the games Ponder has had to play he'd be much better. Webb is a beast that just needs snaps in game situations. Ponder will never be a successful starting qb in this league. I hoped he would but it's obvious he lacks the NFL arm to be that guy.

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    How many times over the past 42 years have I seen this? A big game in which the Vikings have a chance to make a move and get in the division race with a win. But it's outdoors, on grass, on the road against a good division team. And we fall flat on our asses. I spared myself the total humiliation. After the first play sack and a Simpson dropped pass for a sure first down the writing was on the wall. I turned it off before the half. This team is not built to come from behind as we have no big play passing game and our receivers can't catch the ball. I am not impressed with Musgrave at all and would love to see him gone.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    I can see what guys like Singer are saying about giving Ponder the year to make his case and then deciding after that what to do with him but I would like to add that he is not the only one being evaluated and I think it is only fair to at least give Webb or Hyphenated man a shot with the same group of players to see how the team works with a different trigger man.

The coaches are also evaluating the line, the WR's etc and only having Ponders play determine whether those groups are performing might not give a true test. If we put Webb in there and everything else looks the same then we can know that either it is not all the QB's fault. If we put Webb in there and all of a sudden some of the problems go away and we start to move the ball then we might be more comfortable about some on the roster that don't look real good right now.

At this point i don't think it is going to hurt anything to bring in Webb for a few quarters to see what the team looks like with a different trigger man. I wouldn't just stick him in for a few random plays though. I would want quality time and a decent amount of series to see if things look different.

Marc Nudelman is offline Waterboy
    After 40 yrs of being a Viking fan, I was so thoroughly disgusted that I actually walk away in the 3rd quarter! Never done that before, not even in the Les Steckle era.....I am sick of our various Owners giving us cut-rate training wheel coaches. The last Top Grade Coach we have ever had was Bud Grant for Chrissakes!!! Frazier is a moron, or on the take.....He completly wasted AP, down by 3 scores and he doesnt take the points with a field goal?? And he throws yet again instead of using the leagues best RB...He is either a moron or corrupt.....AP is wasting his talents on this sad excuse of a team...I hope he leaves..he deserves better.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast