Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Chazz is offline Coordinator
    It's clear enough to me at this point that we need to clear out all the coaches on this team. Well coached teams play well and win most coming off a bye regardless if they are outmatched or not. We didn't put up a good effort, hell, we didn't even put up any effort.

We are looking to be in a bit of a conundrum. Ponder isn't looking like he is the long term answer, but with our piss poor WR play and underwhelming OL play it's hard to say for sure. I think we are forced to go after play-making WR's, DT, and MLB and Ponder getting another year by default. Wright needs to be a full time starter for us the remainder of the year...he's the best guy we have out there atm.

Bottom line, we will never be serious contenders until we clean out the stench of the Childress era coaching and start fresh.

I like what Speilman did in his first year in full control, so let him go out and find our next coach, put together another fine draft and maybe, just maybe we can finally get this thing turned around.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by VikeCane305 View Post
    This is very true. There were a couple of plays that Ponder could've pulled the ball down and ran. I think Webb is the spark that we need in this offense. It worked for SF. Why not us?
    It worked for the 49ers for 1 game. I thought the whole QB controversy was overrated & unnecessary. We'll find out. It worked out for them once before, but that doesn't guarantee it'll happen again.

Not to many years ago, Cassell had a great game when Brady went down. He's not exactly impressing now.

Matt Flynn had a 480 yard 6 TD game which prompted the Seahawks to throw big money at him. He's currently riding the pine behind a rookie draft pick.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

TheAnimal93 is offline Team Alumni
    The game was lost when they forgot to hand the ball off to Peterson when they went down 18-3. Played right into their hands. game over.

Quote Originally Posted by snowinapril View Post
    Interesting thought.

I heard in the last few days that the NFL is thinking about that rule and will possibly change it. Maybe just for this reason.

I don't know why the ref can't just hand the flag back and say you can't challenge. To penalize someone for throwing the flag seems punitive. Punitive rule don't promote justice and go against the spirit of the replay in the first place.
    The claim was that since all TD's are reviewed, tossing a challenge flag further delays the game. With the clock already stopped for the review, not sure how it adds more time unless the flag is tossed after the initial review is announced.

Either way, the rule makes the play unreviewable if a coach challenges it. I'd like to see if it pertains only to the coach that the play would go against.

Had he done it though & we got away with it based on a loop-hole in the rule, Lovey Smith would have done the same thing on the play that first appeared to be an INT thrown by Ponder & a long return, but the ball had actually hit the ground first.

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer
    Sean Payton, anyone?

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer
    The one positive that comes out of today is both Seattle and Tampa Bay lost. The Vikings are still right in the hunt for a wild card spot. Yes it is going to be difficult to get in with our schedule.

Seattle will probably lose 2 of their final 5.
    Tampa should lose 3 of their final 5.

The Vikes need to finish one game ahead of Seattle to get in. UNLESS the Packers end up going on a skid losing two to us and hopefully NYG tonight we could sneak in that way.

Quote Originally Posted by marstc09 View Post
    Careful. A certain thread starter will think you mean he is the answer to all our problems. I would like to see Webb play. Why not create some competition. It might wake Ponder up.

Not sure which "thread starter" your referring to, but that certainly wouldn't be my choice.

You let Ponder finish the year, see how he does & move on with or without him. Same thing we should have done the last time.

Keeping him on the bench & letting Webb play the remainder of the year doesn't give you anymore insight on whether or not he [Ponder will pan out] that comes from playing. Keeping him on the roster an extra year or two without letting him start doesn't get you closer to the answer either.

snowinapril is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post

Had he done it though & we got away with it based on a loop-hole in the rule, Lovey Smith would have done the same thing on the play that first appeared to be an INT thrown by Ponder & a long return, but the ball had actually hit the ground first.
    That wasn't a scoring play though. I think it only applies to scoring plays, right?

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by snowinapril View Post
    43 Pass attempts!

I am pretty sure that was not part of the game plan.

Turnovers then playing from behind changed the game plan.

With that said, the Viking's defense couldn't stop Cutler and Marshall. They took what we gave them, the underneath passes. I wonder how many 3rd down conversions Marshall was responsible for.

The Bears beat us in almost every facet of the game.
    I was at the game. It was embarrassing getting only one sack against that piss poor offensive line. They are one of the worst in the NFL and they even had backups to the bad starters playing and we barely got a whiff of Cutler. I was disgusted with our uninspired play, both on offense and defense. 1 freakin sack. I still can't believe it.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Quote Originally Posted by thorshammer View Post
    Another disappointing game for sure. I do wonder why we always seem unprepared to play these critical games. Our coaches seem to lack the ability to get our guys up for this type of game. We made some key mistakes again. I can't blame it on Ponder I still think he deserves more time. Our receivers need to catch the ball. If we win a couple more games we still will have done better than any of us thought we would. Ups and downs of a young team ... kind of expected.
    There's that ups & downs of a young team again.

Of all the mistakes made today, how many would you say were made by our 1st & 2nd year players? How many by our veterans?

People don't want to blame Ponder, so that leaves Rudolph, Fusco, Kalil, Smith & Jefferson as starters to blame (I may have missed a young 1 or 2 that got play time). I know Jefferson missed a few tackles, but Winfield & Greenway did as well. Our DL didn't get enough pressure & the youngest starter on the DL is Guion with 5 years experience, but 3 yr. Griffen got some play too.

Rudolph, I believe may have dropped a pass, but his play helped us, not hindered us. Kalil had a good game too. AD had 2 fumbles, but he has 6 years experience. Fusco, perhaps, but I don't think he was the only one on the front line letting defenders thru.

Perhaps it's Simpson who's the young guy to blame with all his drops? On 2nd thought he has 5 years experience.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast