Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast
    NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    I can see what guys like Singer are saying about giving Ponder the year to make his case and then deciding after that what to do with him but I would like to add that he is not the only one being evaluated and I think it is only fair to at least give Webb or Hyphenated man a shot with the same group of players to see how the team works with a different trigger man.

The coaches are also evaluating the line, the WR's etc and only having Ponders play determine whether those groups are performing might not give a true test. If we put Webb in there and everything else looks the same then we can know that either it is not all the QB's fault. If we put Webb in there and all of a sudden some of the problems go away and we start to move the ball then we might be more comfortable about some on the roster that don't look real good right now.

At this point i don't think it is going to hurt anything to bring in Webb for a few quarters to see what the team looks like with a different trigger man. I wouldn't just stick him in for a few random plays though. I would want quality time and a decent amount of series to see if things look different.
    You are right, there are others who are being evaluated. So to be fair to them, don't you think they would like to have the player on the field who gives them the best chance to perform and win? If you think that player is Webb, then I can understand you wanting to put him in. I disagree, but understand. If you just want to put someone else in to see what happens... well then I disagree completely. You are screwing with people's careers then just to see what happens. Harvin is nearing the end of his contract, remember? I would like him to come back...

You listed two possible outcomes from putting Webb in - everything stays the same or things get better. What about the third possibility - things get worse. And no smart ass comments about how things can't get worse because we all know that they can. Look at Cambell's play when he came in for Cutler. Things can get a LOT worse. What message are you sending to the team then? "Hey guys - I really don't give a shit about you or your careers, I just want to see what happens with a different QB... maybe we'll win, maybe we won't..." That is a great way to lose your locker room.

You and I only have games to evaluate Webb and how he interacts with the other players. The coaches also have practices. Before they do anything like swapping starting QBs "just to see what happens" they will start installing Webb in with more of the starter packages. Honestly, I would be surprised if they haven't already. They can use that additional time to evaluate him and how he works with the other players without risking the season or other players futures. If they haven't seen anything that would make them comfortable with making the switch, why on earth would they do it anyway?

Finally, we need to keep in mind that we aren't out of the playoff picture yet. Yes, it is a long shot, but while we are still in the hunt (and right now we are solidly in the hunt) we need to do everything possible to win. Swapping out your starting QB just to see what happens is a sign of desperation, and NOT something you do until you are eliminated from the playoffs. Putting in Webb now would be giving up on the season.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by marstc09 View Post
    I don't even think that was Spielman. I think that was mostly Favre and Bevell.
    I agree, but you know someone would bring him up.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Blog Entries
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Barring a serious turnaround over the next five weeks, Simpson’s signing is going to go down as a major disappointment for the Vikings.

Right now I consider him Bernard Simpson. Dump him now. Don't wait till the end of the season. By the end he may be a Troy Williamsimpson.
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    And the Ponder/Webb debate is stupid. Neither are fit to be a starter in this league... but that's what you can expect with Spielman (who is also responsible for our WR situation and awful John Carlson contract).

Going back to his days as GM in Miami, name a viable starting QB he's found (aside from Bret Favre)...
    THANK YOU CMAC... thank you!!.. i've been saying this for forever... Feely, mitchel, and rosenfels??? Ponder, TjACK?? seriously???
    Last edited by bleedpurple; 11-27-2012 at 03:19 PM.

bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame
    With the problems at QB... was anyone else baffled when we had a 3rd and 2 in the red zone and threw the ball twice.. instead of giving it to AP twice in that situation or just kicking the damn field goal to go down 14 and not stay down 17?

Your gonna put a critical series of plays in ponder's hands instead of AP's who was running all over them??? I'd fire Musgrave right after that play and not let him on the bus... just saying...

I'm surprised Alan Williams didn't come over and punch him a'la buddy ryan style....

marshallvike is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    With the problems at QB... was anyone else baffled when we had a 3rd and 2 in the red zone and threw the ball twice.. instead of giving it to AP twice in that situation or just kicking the damn field goal to go down 14 and not stay down 17?

Your gonna put a critical series of plays in ponder's hands instead of AP's who was running all over them??? I'd fire Musgrave right after that play and not let him on the bus... just saying...

I'm surprised Alan Williams didn't come over and punch him a'la buddy ryan style....
    Was that the red zone series that Ponder was pushed out of the pocket by the pass rush, rolled to his left and hit Wright in the hands in the corner of the end zone and watched it slip thru his hands and deflect off his face mask?
    Why must you defend everything this FO does....to the point of making your self look like a yes man.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marshallvike View Post
    right now i consider him bernard simpson. Dump him now. Don't wait till the end of the season. By the end he may be a troy williamsimpson.
    hahahaha
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Why is it no one is complaining that we have no receivers in games that we win, especially a game when Ponder hits 9 different receivers, completes 75% of his 32 passes & Harvin isn't even playing?
    Hasn't Tarvaris done this? Why should Ponder be any different. Even John Skelton can have a good game.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by marstc09 View Post
    Hasn't Tarvaris done this? Why should Ponder be any different. Even John Skelton can have a good game.
    Actually no, TJack never had a game like Ponder did against Detroit. In fact, TJack has never passed 69% when attempting 25 or more passes.

But your point is well taken. Anybody can have a good game when all the cylinders are firing. And anyone can have a bad game when they are not. A good QB is someone who has significantly more good games than bad. Ponder has not done that yet - the question/debate is whether or not he will reach that level, and I honestly haven't seen enough of Ponder for me to answer that question fairly. I think he will, but he hasn't done nearly enough to convince me of that yet.
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast