Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Re: Official Vikes vs Lions Postgame Discussion

I am on the "Trade for Charlie Whitehurst" bandwagon this year. I know he has a year left on his contract and I have absolutely no idea whether the seahawks have any desire to get rid of him but since rampant speculation is in this site's DNA I am going to run with it until a better option rolls in.

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1086658
    I am on the "Trade for Charlie Whitehurst" bandwagon this year. I know he has a year left on his contract and I have absolutely no idea whether the seahawks have any desire to get rid of him but since rampant speculation is in this site's DNA I am going to run with it until a better option rolls in.

I have a hunch hasselbeck might be available before whitehurst is. New coach, mh is getting old and charlie has shown he can at least come in and play ok. Hasslebeck is expendable. I want kolb tho.

On a side note that was the first game I missed in five years... Stupid florida...

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

The Lions are a better team and are gonna get better but thier starters still just barely beat our team with alot of backups (including a raw QB) on the field.

Still say this team has alot of talent and can turn it around real quick. The questions are....

a. Can we find a vet QB that can lead the team or will we elect to draft one and suffer through the growing pains.

b. How many of our vets will we be able to retain?

c. How many vets will want to stay if we go with a young QB?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1086701
    The Lions are a better team and are gonna get better but thier starters still just barely beat our team with alot of backups (including a raw QB) on the field.

Still say this team has alot of talent and can turn it around real quick. The questions are....

a. Can we find a vet QB that can lead the team or will we elect to draft one and suffer through the growing pains.

our issue is talent != skill our players are talented, but not skilled. You've been going on about how talented our young guys that wer refuse to upgrade are, but they are not skilled. Abdullah is our best safety, but he is mediocre at best. Alot of out is the scheme, but other teams can make it work. Thing is, we are rebuilding, and drafting players we don't need high. We need ol, qb, db and lb depth more than anything, but we instead pick a rb in the second round? There were better players taken later in the draft that fit our needs.

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1086704

our issue is talent != skill our players are talented, but not skilled. You've been going on about how talented our young guys that wer refuse to upgrade are, but they are not skilled. Abdullah is our best safety, but he is mediocre at best. Alot of out is the scheme, but other teams can make it work. Thing is, we are rebuilding, and drafting players we don't need high. We need ol, qb, db and lb depth more than anything, but we instead pick a rb in the second round? There were better players taken later in the draft that fit our needs.
    Thing is we aren't rebuilding anymore. That was done 2006 through 2008. In 2009 we just had to add/delete as necessary in a few key positions.

As to your skill/talent comment: Skill comes with experience. In the end it doesn't matter how talented they are if they don't get the reps.

If you look at our youngsters (2008 class and below) they are just coming into thier own and should only get better.

Why oh why would we let them walk and let them get better on another team?
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1086706

Thing is we aren't rebuilding anymore. That was done 2006 through 2008. In 2009 we just had to add/delete as necessary in a few key positions.

As to your skill/talent comment: Skill comes with experience. In the end it doesn't matter how talented they are if they don't get the reps.

If you look at our youngsters (2008 class and below) they are just coming into thier own and should only get better.

Our season all depends on who comes back. If we lose some key guss like rice our greenway, that will really hurt us. Our team was built to win now, only needing a qb. Now without a qb, wer need a team that can carry a young qb, and I don't think we have that. Our d is not verry good, our ol is even worse, and if a receiver gets hurt eeeeee in huge trouble.

As for dumping our young guys, that'd not what I said. We need to improve though. For example, if we had a safety who isn't scared to tackle, we win one more game at least.

One guy who we need to dump.... Madieu williams. dude is not young, can't hit and can't cover. Cut our losses, get a good rook or a vet

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Because they really aren't working HERE, that's why.

We have a handful of players who will fit any scheme - offensive or Defensive - that the new staff employs. But we also have some gaping holes in our roster.

QB is first on that list. WR is another. OL and DB fill out the MUST FIX areas. Our DL needs a tweak, and we could use some help at LB.

Hell, when you look at it backwards, the only things we DON'T need are RB's and TE's...unless we can find the next Tony Gonzales.

Fact is, our team isn't that good.

Let me say that again, so you get the picture..

Our TEAM isn't that good.

We went 6-10. We're at the BOTTOM of the NFCN. Please tell me HOW IN THE HELL you can say we don't need to rebuild?

Maybe it's because our WR corps can carry a QB?

....wait.....no they can't.

Maybe it's because our O Line doesn't REALLY suck, they just look like it because everyone ELSE is screwed up?

...no.....they really DO suck....

Maybe it's all the fault of Favre? After all, if he hadn't been so selfish and cared only about that streak and.....

....wait.....he didn't care about the streak. He stepped down and let Jackson take over....and jackson sucked bag and got put on IR, then Webb came in and showed us that HE isn't ready too (Which most of us knew, but a couple people forgot).

Maybe it's all the fault of Moss? After all, he cost us a 3rd round pick!!

...wait....no....that was Chiller.

So, when you sift all the BS out of the equation, here's what you're left with:

Our O-line sucks. We have no QB. Our WR corps is iffy with no viable deep threat. Our TE play is solid, but not spectacular. And Adrian Peterson cannot carry the team by himself.

On Defense, we need to fill 2 spots on the D-line. Leber is aging, and Henderson has lost a step. Our secondary sucks almost across the board...except Winfield.

Special Teams....I'm not even going there.

So, tell me again how we don't need to rebuild?

Caine

dfosterf is offline Coach

It took a couple of years, but Caine finally came up with an observation that I agree with 100%.

Foster :P

(Sorry, couldn't help it, plus I got my own problems over Green Bay way)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Caine" #1086770

Because they really aren't working HERE, that's why.

We have a handful of players who will fit any scheme - offensive or Defensive - that the new staff employs. But we also have some gaping holes in our roster.

QB is first on that list. WR is another. OL and DB fill out the MUST FIX areas. Our DL needs a tweak, and we could use some help at LB.

Hell, when you look at it backwards, the only things we DON'T need are RB's and TE's...unless we can find the next Tony Gonzales.

Fact is, our team isn't that good.

Let me say that again, so you get the picture..

Our TEAM isn't that good.

We went 6-10. We're at the BOTTOM of the NFCN. Please tell me HOW IN THE HELL you can say we don't need to rebuild?

Maybe it's because our WR corps can carry a QB?

....wait.....no they can't.

Maybe it's because our O Line doesn't REALLY suck, they just look like it because everyone ELSE is screwed up?

...no.....they really DO suck....

Maybe it's all the fault of Favre? After all, if he hadn't been so selfish and cared only about that streak and.....

....wait.....he didn't care about the streak. He stepped down and let Jackson take over....and jackson sucked bag and got put on IR, then Webb came in and showed us that HE isn't ready too (Which most of us knew, but a couple people forgot).

Maybe it's all the fault of Moss? After all, he cost us a 3rd round pick!!

...wait....no....that was Chiller.

So, when you sift all the BS out of the equation, here's what you're left with:

Our O-line sucks. We have no QB. Our WR corps is iffy with no viable deep threat. Our TE play is solid, but not spectacular. And Adrian Peterson cannot carry the team by himself.

On Defense, we need to fill 2 spots on the D-line. Leber is aging, and Henderson has lost a step. Our secondary sucks almost across the board...except Winfield.

Special Teams....I'm not even going there.

So, tell me again how we don't need to rebuild?

Caine
    +2

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1086710

Our season all depends on who comes back. If we lose some key guss like rice our greenway, that will really hurt us. Our team was built to win now, only needing a qb. Now without a qb, wer need a team that can carry a young qb, and I don't think we have that. Our d is not verry good, our ol is even worse, and if a receiver gets hurt eeeeee in huge trouble.

As for dumping our young guys, that'd not what I said. We need to improve though. For example, if we had a safety who isn't scared to tackle, we win one more game at least.

One guy who we need to dump.... Madieu williams. dude is not young, can't hit and can't cover. Cut our losses, get a good rook or a vet
    I am not so sure I like the "Built to win now" cliche'

Teams that are built the way the Pats and Steelers are built are built to win each and every year. IMHO the Vikes were getting very close to that.

Loose a couple. Promote a couple from the bench. Bring in a Vet or two if necessary.

If thats what you mean by built to win now, then I can agree.

Were they built to the point they could have won this year? Yes.
    Would they still be built to win next year if all of them were resigned, and a few tweaks were made? Yes.

Problem still is, and always has been, the QB position. Maybe, just maybe we will see it resolved in the draft this year, even though the kid might not be ready to be what we need him to be for a couple of years.

On a side note, anyone see that Sanchize got benched? My guess, most yutz fans gave up on him when that happened...... Another prime example of a kid playing before he is ready.

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast