Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Please please please please please don't take my comments about how much I love the new look D-line take away from what is going on in the back end.

I think/thought I've been pretty clear and vocal about how much I love the S's. Best group on one team I've seen in a long time, let alone on a Vikings team. I think it will be hard to keep all of them together. By the way, I said last week that we hadn't seen enough of Blanton, .....I still haven't, but yesterday was a very nice surprise. You see were he landed in Tackles yesterday....Second behind Chad.

Cook and Rob have been wonderful. Seeing alot of the "Press Zone" or "Zone Press" (however you want to call it this year that I thought we would see last year. Again, I think Cook is the wild card in that. What surprises me is that they allowed Josh to take top recievers at times, like they did with Britt yesterday, by himself.

All I'm trying to say is that now that the DL is also playing up to, or beyond itself, like the DB's (and the LB'rs) have, this defense is going to be very very fun to watch.
    Agreed.

I think the safety play was our biggest weakness last year, so yes, I agree that it may be one of the most improved positions on the team. This is what I think has allowed us to be much more aggressive in how the CB's are allowed to play. CB talent is improved as well with Cook coming back and Robinson being a nice addition.

I don't think QB's are throwing as quickly on us this year as last, which also helps get the DL humming. Once they start getting pressure, it starts feeding into everything they want to do on defense. When there are weaknesses in any area, they will be attacked, we've minimized some of those weaknesses on defense this year.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    I counted 2 of them that were complete (AD 2 yards/Rudy 5 yards) I think there was another one to a RB (or FB/HB) that was incomplete. Can' remember for sure. Box score will tell.
    Those were short passes. I know there were a few of those. I recall 1 on 3rd & long.

I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about those quick passes straight down the LOS (or slightly behind) to a WR, usually Harvin. I don't recall seeing any of those.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I counted 2 of them that were complete (AD 2 yards/Rudy 5 yards) I think there was another one to a RB (or FB/HB) that was incomplete. Can' remember for sure. Box score will tell.
    Those were short passes. I know there were a few of those. I recall 1 on 3rd & long.

I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about those quick passes straight down the LOS (or slightly behind) to a WR, usually Harvin. I don't recall seeing any of those.
    Harvin's TD was one. I believe he had a first down earlier in the game with one too.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Agreed.

I think the safety play was our biggest weakness last year, so yes, I agree that it may be one of the most improved positions on the team. This is what I think has allowed us to be much more aggressive in how the CB's are allowed to play. CB talent is improved as well with Cook coming back and Robinson being a nice addition.

I don't think QB's are throwing as quickly on us this year as last, which also helps get the DL humming. Once they start getting pressure, it starts feeding into everything they want to do on defense. When there are weaknesses in any area, they will be attacked, we've minimized some of those weaknesses on defense this year.
    In the end we agree.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post

I gotcha. As pointed out, Harvins TD was one. There were others as well. I don't think we will ever NOT see them.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

keystonevike is offline Starter
    We don't rebuild, we reload.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    one thing that i havn't seen mentioned (or i missed it)

play calling.. anyone else notice PH took a lot of snaps everywhere early on. it seemed almost like we were featuring PH over AP.. then as the D began to adjust.. BOOM here comes AP's onslaught. if this was musgraves idea.. 2 thumbs up!! that's an OC doing his job. this will be something every DC we face will be thinking. I've mentioned it before and i'll keep saying it. you can't focus on AP and PH without being burned by Rudy or Simpson(or the other wr's) and if Ponder see's that open field, he has no fear to tuck and run.

i'm getting to like what the staff is doing. hard hitting D, and actual game planning O.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

I think now is when we start to see what we really have. So far the fast physical style of play on the defense has kept people from exposing the C2. The offense has so many different looks with formations and who is lining up where, we present a lot of matchup issues. Couldnt be happier with the way Ponder has begun to develop.

The thing I like most is that we are not as reliant on one aspect as we have been in the past. That and the defense is resembling what it used to look like when Tomlin was here, not quite, but almost.......

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by slavinator View Post
    I think now is when we start to see what we really have. So far the fast physical style of play on the defense has kept people from exposing the C2.
    That would have alot to do with the fact we don't only run the C2. With robinson and Cook actually being able to cover, we're running alot more man packages than before.

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

OFFICIAL TITANS vs VIKINGS POSTGAME DISCUSSION

Good game. So many encouraging things to see:
    - Cook and Robinson's ability to cover the outside has enabled Williams to blitz, and be more aggressive with the defense in general.
    - Everson Griffin on the field more
    - Guion appears to have made a major step forward...perhaps he is listening more to KWill, or, perhaps Williams knows what he's doing.
    - Robinson and Harrison are learning very quickly on the job.
    - Ponder looks decisive and confident. Albeit, I thought he lost focus and discipline during the Titans game. He regained it and through a TD.
    - Peterson returning to beast mode is remake able. He truly is a blessed athlete and we are fortunate he's a Vike.
    - Harvin, well, for those of you who watch college FB avidly, his performance this year will remind you of his years as a Gator. We are fortunate he's a Vike too.
    - Rudolph, I've said it a few times, he has a great chance of being our best TE ever.
    - Greenway is flying around and making more plays than ever...he's playing at a very high level .

Now, reality will be setting in soon. The Texans will win a minimum 12 games for a myriad of reasons...one of which, they play 6 games vs the Colts, Jaguars, and Titans. Three shitty teams we've already played. The wins against SF and Detroit were impressive, giving the coaches and the Team obvious confidence. I never in a million years thought we'd be 4-1, but, all along I've expected ups and downs. Spielman deserves some credit here too. I haven't even mentioned the ballsy move to replace Longwell with Blair. Ellison, Blanton, and Cole have all contributed too. There is a lot to be enthusiastic about, to be sure.

That said, team must stay focused and convert FGs to TDs to keep rolling IMO.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast