BBQ Platypus is offline Team Alumni

The OFFICIAL "Ted Cottrell Blows Goats" Thread

As you may or may not know, I love the Vikings but hate Ted Cottrell. Since I don't want my complete and utter hatred of Ted Cottrell to interfere with my efforts to rally the troops, I have decided to do something that will be extremely important in this forum but absolutely meaningless in the real world:
    On this the Third of January in the Year of Our Lord Twenty Aught-Five, I hereby establish the official "Ted Cottrell Blows Goats" thread. Such comments as "Ted Cottrell sucks the gay out of Elton John's anus," "God hates Ted Cottrell," "Ted Cottrell must die!" and "I shall dance on Ted Cottrell's grave!" are welcome to and reserved to (with the non-existant power that a member in training camp has) this thread. Feel free to talk about his inability to put together a blitz or coverage package, train linebackers, or pass the third grade. Anyone who does not think that Ted Cottrell sucks will be subjected to the same treatment, as they either are Ted Cottrell, or they suck as much as he does. Bring on the vitriol! Not even Kevin Williams can save him now!

Enjoy!

"This is my timey-wimey detector. It goes ding when there's stuff."

Hello? Anyone? Is anyone there?

Come on, how hard can it be to hate Ted Cottrell?

Del Rio Guest

I'm taking this week off from hate just to give it a shot.

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

Me too! I am pumped and optimistic for the game!!! I cannot wait for Sunday to come!!!

I'm optimistic about the game, too, so I'm reserving my wrath for this thread.

briboy75 is offline Asst. Coach

I'm not sure how I feel about Cottrell. I'm definately disappointed with the defense this year (again). I also think part of our continuous problems on defense can be attributed to the revolving door of coordinators. Maybe we need to give him another year? not sure.

cheesefree is offline Starter

"briboy75" wrote:
    I'm not sure how I feel about Cottrell. I'm definately disappointed with the defense this year (again). I also think part of our continuous problems on defense can be attributed to the revolving door of coordinators. Maybe we need to give him another year? not sure.
    Exactly. The revolving door doesn't help, and I really don't think it's a matter of coaching. Good players cost $$$ and Cottrell can only work with the players he's given.
    [b:6191debc1d]it ain t easy being cheesy[/b:6191debc1d]
    [img:6191debc1d]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid137/p834fa46b07efd9e3efdcb7cb577f214e/f73f7170.jpg[/img:6191debc1d]

"cheesefree" wrote:
    "briboy75" wrote:
    Exactly. The revolving door doesn't help, and I really don't think it's a matter of coaching. Good players cost $$$ and Cottrell can only work with the players he's given.
    I agree with both of you guys (....and no I am not Ted Cottrell). He was able to have a top defense in Buffalo and it could work here. The defense is underachieving, especially at the linebacker position. When coordinators come in for a year, can't get the job done and are let go immediately afterwards it can't be conducive for establishing an above average defense at best. Give the guy at least one more year. Especially with a great acquisition or two in the offseason for the defense, a turnaround can happen.

Until this season is officiately over lets worry about the next game at hand and not who should be out.
    fe4c0bdee276bad61c4dc5468ded7032

"CT Viking Man" wrote:
    "cheesefree" wrote:
    "briboy75" wrote:
    I agree with both of you guys (....and no I am not Ted Cottrell). He was able to have a top defense in Buffalo and it could work here. The defense is underachieving, especially at the linebacker position. When coordinators come in for a year, can't get the job done and are let go immediately afterwards it can't be conducive for establishing an above average defense at best. Give the guy at least one more year. Especially with a great acquisition or two in the offseason for the defense, a turnaround can happen.

Until this season is officiately over lets worry about the next game at hand and not who should be out.
    Okay. I will now tell you exactly why you all are completely, hopelessly wrong.

First, we've been drafting defensive players for the last few years. We have many of the same personnel that we had last year, when we were one of the top defenses in terms of turnovers. This year, we have forced very few turnovers. We had an opportunistic defense last year. This year, our defense sucks at everything, just like it did before O'Leary came along.

Second, I don't buy that "he can't turn everything around in one year" argument. O'Leary did a great job of turning our defense around. He dramatically improved our turnover margin in just one year. He made a huge impact on our defense. Cottrell has also made an impact this year. I'm amazed at how many things he has ****ed up this year. It really shows you what a coordinator can do for (or to) a team.

Third, Buffalo is a lot BETTER now that Cottrell's gone. They have made an improvement in total defense since he left. This is because of his conservative (read: idiotic) play-calling (if you can call it that). He doesn't call nearly enough blitz packages. The incredible amount of talent on Buffalo's defense made him look better, and they are now one of the top defenses in the league now that he's gone.

Finally, I agree that the linebackers are underachieving. I couldn't agree with you more completely. I see them miss just as many tackles now as they did at the beginning of the season. They desperately need to improve, and they already should have done it by this point in the season.

Oh, and coincidentally, Ted Cottrell is also the linebackers coach. Hmmm ... I'm beginning to see a pattern here ... :scratch:

In closing, the main reason that this defense erased all the progress it made last year and actually became WORSE is none other than your main man Ted "Mr. Football" Cottrell.

SKOL ANYWAY!!!

Webby is offline Administrator
    Blog Entries

Its not official unless I make it official. Please.