Page 11 of 868 FirstFirst ... 910111213 21 61 111 511 ... LastLast
    marstc09 is offline Jersey Retired

Re: The Official Tarvaris Jackson Thread

"Webby" wrote:
    http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_jvideo&view=watch&id=42&Itemi d=155
    LMFAO! I can piss 6 yards.

Jimmymeboy is offline Starter

I voted for "other" because I think the most glaring problem is the total lack of ability of our receivers to catch a freaking pass!
    I see wideouts all across the league making spectacular grabs that make their qb look good and in turn I'm sure it boosts the qb's confidence.

6. Last Point I will admit TJack had a couple of bad passes, but Manning had like 6 or 7 bad passes, a couple of which his recievers caught through TJack a bone sometimes recievers.... Also the bootleg looks really promising for TJack he seems to have a lot of confidence throwing the ball that way, and is making some really nice looking passes when he rolls out of the pocket. The Vikings may have something here... Give TJack a break he is not the problem, Jackson has significantly improved since his first start, and seems to be going in the right direction.... The Vikings can win a Superbowl with him. If we had a great passing QB some of you same idiots would be complanning that we don't hand off the ball enough to AP....

Conclusion watch the games take notes!!!!! Have facts to support your opinions!!!! Plain and simple we played lost to the Packers and Green Bay Chris Carter only beat Green Bay once at GreenBay, we almost did beat them!! Second of all we outplayed and a couple things going our way we beat the Colts.... Those are two games we probably weren't expecting to win at all, and we outplayed our expectations, btw Aarons Rodgers is really good, and so r the Colts for that matter... We r just about there a few balls going in the right direction and were are contending against the best teams in the NFL!!!!
    I think NDOBNEY was exactly right in his assesment!
    Tjack got hosed and I'm hoping he can really take this demotion and use it to strengthen his character.

rlambert32 is offline Waterboy

I cant believe all this hate on T J. ITs bin what two games and everyones turned against him, lets get serious hes never going to be a Brady or a Manning, but he doesnt have to be, he just has to be a decent QB for the vikings to win Peterson and the Defence can do the rest. Last year his record was 8-4 i think? so he can clearly win some games. I say the loss of the last game goes to the coaches, their was for sure some questionable play calling on their behalf. But seriously 2 games its his first full season at QB give the a break!!

tb04512 is offline Team Alumni

"Webby" wrote:
    http://www.purplepride.org/index.php?option=com_jvideo&view=watch&id=42&Itemi d=155
    lol he didnt even spell his name right

Thanks josdin00

kspurplepride is offline Pro-Bowler

Honestly, looking at the facts, this move is terrible for our team. Granted Gus has played well for us in the past, but TJ has played well contrary to the Jackson haters in the media in this forum. Actually he's ran this offense better than any other quarterback we've had since the system was implemented. Brad Johnson, Brooks Bollinger, and Jackson.... not exactly an elite list of quarterbacks, but none of them have been able to produce in this offense. Jackson has put us into position to win a lot of games, he just needs a little help to close the deal. Every elite QB in the league has this, yes even Peyton Manning (see Reggie Wayne, and Marvin Harison) and Tom Brady (see Randy Moss, Wes Welker). Both quarterbacks also play in systems where they are put into positions in which they can succeed.

Childress has no balance what so ever. Two years ago, with Brad we passed way to much. Last year we started out passing way to much, and then went to a beating our head against a wall approach. This year we start the GB game with a run run run approach, and then when they stop the run we pass pass pass... anyone with any football sense knows that unless you have Tom Brady, Randy Moss, and Wes Welker and an amazing system, this won't work.

The problem is not the quarterback, for any of you foolish enough to believe all the media turmoil around Jackson, maybe you should actually watch the games. Our blocking scheme still can't handle blitzes, our recievers can't get open, because of poorly designed routes, and our TE's can't hold onto the rock... ever! All of these problems are coaching issues. Childress and his coordinators designed the schemes and the routes. They are the ones that pick the players they want to play, and the one's that they choose not to. Jackson has proved himself in the midst of what he's had to work with. Honestly if we want to win, we need to get rid of childress, and play our best players. Gus is not our best player at the position... period.

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Your argument would be plasible in some respects until you realize that Childress had to dumb down the offense for T-Jack.
    It would have also been more plasible if you had included it in all the other T-Jack threads rather than starting a new one.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

kspurplepride is offline Pro-Bowler

the thread was not made to be a defense of TJack, but rather an over view of Childress... hence it doesn't necessarily fit in the Jackson threads...

in terms of "dumbing down" the offense for Jackson... your arguement isn't very plausible and heres why: look at the dumbed down version of the playbook used in the first half of the GB game... where did that get Jackson? Where did that give the team? When they opened up the playbook in the second half, Jackson was able to shine.
    He played really well, and would have had great numbers if our TE's could hang onto any kinds of passes, or hell, even run routes. Jackson has thrived when the playbook has been opened up. Childress is blaiming Jackson, and claiming to "dumb down" the playbook for him, but in reality its no different than what we ran two years ago with Johnson.

happy camper is offline Team Alumni

"kspurplepride" wrote:
    the thread was not made to be a defense of TJack, but rather an over view of Childress... hence it doesn't necessarily fit in the Jackson threads...

in terms of "dumbing down" the offense for Jackson... your arguement isn't very plausible and heres why: look at the dumbed down version of the playbook used in the first half of the GB game... where did that get Jackson? Where did that give the team? When they opened up the playbook in the second half, [size=16pt]Jackson was able to shine.
    [/size] He played really well, and would have had great numbers if our TE's could hang onto any kinds of passes, or hell, even run routes. [size=16pt]Jackson has thrived when the playbook has been opened up.[/size] Childress is blaiming Jackson, and claiming to "dumb down" the playbook for him, but in reality its no different than what we ran two years ago with Johnson.
    Lets get this straight:

Jackson has neither shined nor thrived ever in the NFL.

And I'm not a Jackson hater.
    "There is good and there is evil. And evil must be punished. Even in the face of Armageddon I will not compromise."

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

I still contend that this gets back to a couple of things.........

a.
    TJ's ability to throw an accurate ball consistently.

He seems to struggle getting to the ball if the WR's are covered but still marginally open.
    If the WR's were open like we saw with respect to AA during the colts game then he can move the team.
    If they appear to be covered he leaves them and then gets to the next guy which in the first two games were TEs and RB's.

b.
    TJ's ability to make accurate pre-snap reads.

I saw him check out of passing plays at least twice with a passing package in the game.
    Obviously he isn't able to recognize what the defense is trying to do.
    He just doesn't have the experience to sniff out what they are disguising.

With that said, a more experience QB will give you two things......

a.
    He will be a bit more comfortable trying to get the ball to WR's who appear to be covered.

b.
    He will be a bit better at pre-snap reads and make the right adjustment at the line.

With that said, Gus does have his limitations and probably isn't the best option I would like to have back there, however, based on what was available this, last and the year before in the FA pool, I am just not sure what some of you think is the answer.

Look, TJ needed to make only one more pass last week (which he really did to Shanc in the endzone) and we win.
    Gus just doesn't have to be that much better.

A little bit better is gonna get it done IMHO.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

"ragz" wrote:
    "StillPurple" wrote:
    A few comments:

a. Tarvaris killed us in the Packers game by throwing an INT.

b. Tarvaris was 2/13 (15 %) on third down conversions vs. Indy.

c. It should not be the job of the players to adapt to the system. The system should be built around the strengths of the players. Period. As Joe Theisman states, good coaches use the talent they have. Bad coaches force their system on the team.

Oh, yes, I almost forgot:
    - T-Jacks blew us up vs. Washington last year
    - His mechanics stink
    - His accuracy is iffy mostly
    - He can't read a defense
    - He locks onto his receivers and then doesn't check down (gee, you think those "drops" had something to do with Tarvaris totally locking down on his primary WR and the safety seeing that and then being there to lay the pine by the time that ball gets there ? )

Watch any good NFL QB and see what checking down looks like. I watched Romo and McNabb the other night and was like "wow, that is what a real NFL QB looks like".
    you're an idiot, i'm sorry.
    he killed us in the packer game?
    did you watch it?
    so its customary for a qb who nobody wants to let play to score 3 tds in the 4th quarter cuz the rest of the team didn't do their job?
    1st of all, he stated that Jackson killed us versus the Packers by throwing the INT.
    That's not an indictment of his play the entire game (Which sucked), but rather linking a specific act to a specific consequence.
    In this case, far from being an idiot, he's right.
    The INT ended our hopes for the go ahead points and allowed the Peckers to escape with a win they shouldn't have had.

"ragz" wrote:
    the team was 2-13 on 3rd downs.
    jackson can't be blamed for every screen called, dropped td, and run plays called on 3rd down.
    While Jackson can't be blamed for EVERY one of those failings, the blame for a lot of them do fall on his shoulders.
    Telegraphing plays and being inaccurate have been the hallmarks of Jacksons passing game, and we have seen the reprecussions of that.
    So while a portion of the blame DOES lie on Childress' shoulders (a large portion at that), Jackson has been the PLAYER who deserved the most blame....with Shiancoe running a close 2nd.

"ragz" wrote:
    your 3rd point is totally true.
    its been the problem since childress has been here.
    hes force feeding everything instead of tweaking his system.
    all the great coaches in the league adjust to what they have.
    childress hasn't as if this past sunday.
    Childress won't either.
    He believes in this system.
    He saw a version of this system work in Wisconsin, and another work in Philly.
    He's BAFFLED as to why it doesn't work here.
    It isn't the players, we've established that by bringing in 2 groups of players.
    It's Chiller.
    He's killing us.

"ragz" wrote:
    the washington game.
    are you serious.
    todd collins had a field day, which set up how they ran the ball so effectively against our number one run defense in the 2nd half.
    jackson wasn't good, but how many points did his turnovers lead to in the first half maybe 10?
    it was 25-0 before childress even decided to open the offense again.
    a common theme over the last 3 years.
    romo turned the ball over 2 times for 14 points this past week but was able to keep his team in the game by his coach letting him get it back.
    not hiding him until the game gets outta hand.
    If I had to pick one game where Jackson most resembled a NFL QB it would be the 4th quarter of the Denver game.
    Jackson went on a tear to bring us back from oblivion....then he fumbled in OT and cost us the game anyway.

"ragz" wrote:
    his accuracy and mechanics have not been great.
    but speculating he can't read defenses and not checking down i must contend.
    to check down you have to have pass plays that are more than 3 step drops.
    the majority of our throws, going back to johnson are quick throws.
    the offense is setup to get the ball outta of your hands quickly, it's not set up where you can take 7 step drops and survey the field and find the open wr.
    you guys act like jackson would sit in the pocket all day and just wouldn't pull the trigger.
    didn't happen.
    he would take his drop and get the ball out.
    i doubt that thats his decision when he knows he has ability with his feet.
    its childress's offense.
    that's why i say hes gotta change it up going into this week otherwise ferrotte will look like the other 4 qbs who couldnt get anything going outta the passing game.
    Actaully, on many of the passing plays, Jackson DID sit in the pocket awhile.
    The protection was pretty good versus Indy and Jackson had the TIME to make the throws....he just didn't make the throws.
    On the quick release plays, he was usually throwing a slant...and missing behind the receiver.
    Or he'd roll out right and throw a come back (button hook)...the only route he can consistantly hit.

Sure, receiver drops were an issue, but I attribute a lot of the to ball placement and the timing.
    Jackson floated a lot of passes versus Indy and allowed the Defense to get there and break it up or paste the receiver (and break it up).

Will Gus do better?
    Yeah...a bit.
    But he'll still be hampered by the idiots calling plays.

Caine