Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast
    Prophet is offline Jersey Retired

Re: The "official" T-Jack thread

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    So, what route will the Vikings take?
    Rumors are the BJ may walk the plank while previous comments from Childress inferred that he would be available in a supportive role.
    If BJ hits the sea then the Vikings will either pick up some 3rd string scrub or go with a seasoned vet.
    I was happier thinking that BJ was staying as a mentor because the thought of having Bollinger, TJ, and some 3rd stringer really makes me nervous about the plan.
    I feel more confident with a competent vet in the mix, even if it is only in a mentoring role.
    What competent vet is out there that you would accept?

I'm not looking for a comfort level.
    I'm looking for an answer on this 2nd-round QB of The Future who the Vikings traded up to get.
    The Future (tm Zeus) shouldn't have to win 12 games to convince me (or anyone) that he can be a competent NFL starter.
    If he starts all 16 and the Vikings go 6-10 but that's 1-7 first half and 5-3 2nd half with The Future showing promise, then that's fine with me.

And if they go 3-13 and Brooks Bollinger is starting in week 10 because The Future is not the future after all, then Feb. 2008 rolls around and the picture is clearer on what the current QBs on the roster can do and the draft choice is nicely in the 1-4 range.

The Future is Now.

[img width=240 height=240]http://ec3.images-amazon.com/images/P/0742521966.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg[/img]

=Z=
    You know where TJ came from.
    You don't typically jump from backyard football to the NFL and expect success.
    That would be the exception rather than the rule.
    TJ put up the worse numbers of any QB since the Vikings inception in 1961 with, what was it?, 3 1st downs?
    He said he was not ready.
    If the guy himself feels he's not ready and he has yet to earn the starting slot, he won't start.
    Even though I have no faith in Bollinger, I do think he will beat him out for the start if it's between those two at this juncture of TJ's career.

Who would I take?
    I would be happy with BJ staying on the roster in a mentoring capacity rather than some 3rd stringer eating up bench space and contributing nothing.
    Carr would be fine with me.

This is a ciruitous discussion at this point.
    You want TJ to start this year and see what we have I want him to battle it out in camp and if he gets the nod, then good.
    If he spends another year learning the game at a higher level then let him join the ranks of other NFL greats at QB that did the same thing in the beginning of their careers.
    Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

CT29 is offline Training Camp

"Prophet" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    I guess to get a good answer you should clarify your question.

I think you are asking: Why are Tarvaris fans against signing Carr?

If that is your question I do not think many are against it.
    I wouldn't classify myself as a "Tarvaris fan", but I'd rather see him play this season than David Carr.
    The Future Is Now.

=Z=
    If you are confident in his abilities there should be no reason to deny getting Carr. Unless of course you are worried about losing that 4th round pick and missing out on drafting a third string lineman that lasts 3 years in the NFL as a backup then makes his way to NFL Europe.

I am not so confident in his ability and [size=14pt]I wouldn't mind seeing some hard nosed competition in training camp to get a better idea of if he has got it or if he doesn't.[/size]
    That's really the bottom-line.
    I wouldn't put Bollinger in that category.
    If the Vikes sign Carr or someone that has some NFL experience and the messiah beats him out, then great.
    At this point I don't think the messiah could even beat out Bollinger.
    I'll trust the coaching staff and their decision, but I do not think the messiah is the starter going into the '07 season at this point.
    He started last year only because Bollinger got hurt after BJ was yanked, he didn't beat him out.
    I would feel much more comfortable from my lazyboy knowing that there was some competition in camp when they name the starting QB in game 1.

omg guys t-jack is not the answer to anything

"CT29" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:

I wouldn't classify myself as a "Tarvaris fan", but I'd rather see him play this season than David Carr.
    The Future Is Now.

=Z=
    If you are confident in his abilities there should be no reason to deny getting Carr. Unless of course you are worried about losing that 4th round pick and missing out on drafting a third string lineman that lasts 3 years in the NFL as a backup then makes his way to NFL Europe.

I am not so confident in his ability and [size=14pt]I wouldn't mind seeing some hard nosed competition in training camp to get a better idea of if he has got it or if he doesn't.[/size]
    If the Vikes sign Carr or someone that has some NFL experience and the messiah beats him out, then great.
    I'll trust the coaching staff and their decision, but I do not think the messiah is the starter going into the '07 season at this point.
    He started last year only because Bollinger got hurt after BJ was yanked, he didn't beat him out.
    I would feel much more comfortable from my lazyboy knowing that there was some competition in camp when they name the starting QB in game 1.

First day on PP.O and ur already smarter than half the guys on this website. Im really starting to like you
    "Some Coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 300 lbs. lineman. They give me plenty of wisdom"
    -Chuck Noll

R.I.P. Sean Taylor

whackthepack is offline Jersey Retired

"CT29" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:

The Future Is Now.

=Z=

How the (blank) would you know?

Do you practice with him everyday?

Have you sat down with him and watched game film and you know that he can't read a defense?

You are guessing and know no more about him than 99% of the other Viking fans.

Tarvaris had better stats his 1st 4 regular season games than Vince Young did in his 1st 4 regular season games and Young ended up rookie of the year.

What proof do you have that T-Jack can't be the answer for the Vikings at QB?

Because you don't like him?

Because of the 1st few games he played?

Truth is you have no idea how good or bad Tarvaris Jackson will be!

He could be the best Viking's QB ever, or he could be a Spergon Wynn but to say you know for sure is hog wash.

What we've got here is failure to communicate.

laujesse is offline Starter

"whackthepack" wrote:
    "CT29" wrote:
    "Prophet" wrote:
    "Del" wrote:
    "Zeus" wrote:
    [quote author=Del Rio link=topic=29595.msg536578#msg536578 date=1171561326]

The Future Is Now.

=Z=

How the (blank) would you know?

Do you practice with him everyday?

Have you sat down with him and watched game film and you know that he can't read a defense?

You are guessing and know no more about him than 99% of the other Viking fans.

Tarvaris had better stats his 1st 4 regular season games than Vince Young did in his 1st 4 regular season games and Young ended up rookie of the year.

What proof do you have that T-Jack can't be the answer for the Vikings at QB?

Because you don't like him?

Because of the 1st few games he played?

Truth is you have no idea how good or bad Tarvaris Jackson will be!

He could be the best Viking's QB ever, or he could be a Spergon Wynn but to say you know for sure is hog wash.

[/quote]

Could not have said it better myself. He has the elite tools that you cant teach and works really hard so I dont think we could ask for more.

Not saying he is our savior but he does have the "potential" to be great.
    There will be no medium/average with this guy. Big boom or big bust, I prefer that over the Bollinger/Johnson type call me crazy.

Jackson has just as much potential as Carr and is playing on a late round 2 contract for 4 years as opposed to a #1 overall cap buster.
    Tom Powers < Hetero

BrentLee is offline Waterboy

Tarvaris Jackson has the upper hand in the battle to become the Vikings' starting quarterback, mostly because of his ability. But his eagerness hasn't hurt him. Vikings coaches were impressed that Jackson drove two hours to see them in Mobile, Ala., where they were scouting draft prospects during Senior Bowl week. While there, the second-year pro had lunch with coach Brad Childress and talked with coaches about ideas for the offense and his offseason development program. ...

I Read This On SportingNews Today
    Sounds Like T Jack is Ready to Learn

Ltrey33 is offline Jersey Retired

"BrentLee" wrote:
    Tarvaris Jackson has the upper hand in the battle to become the Vikings' starting quarterback, mostly because of his ability. But his eagerness hasn't hurt him. Vikings coaches were impressed that Jackson drove two hours to see them in Mobile, Ala., where they were scouting draft prospects during Senior Bowl week. While there, the second-year pro had lunch with coach Brad Childress and talked with coaches about ideas for the offense and his offseason development program. ...

Wow...good find there!

It's obvious Tarvaris wants to be the best he can be. The guy works like a dog and is obviously concerned with forging a good relationship with Childress. I just hope he develops fast enough that we get to see that hard work pay off soon. I don't want him to get thrown to the wolves before he's ready and lose his confidence...that's happened to a lot of quarterbacks. That's the biggest reason I am wary about him being the starter next year and would like to see another guy come in to start for him.

I guess Childress is the ultimate (and hopefully the best) judge though.

"vikes09" wrote:
    what a crappy way for TJ to go out. well, he's the vikings future, so we're sticking with him.
    NOOOOOOO!!!
    I hope he's not the Viking's future....and if he is...it's gonna be a long sad time until the Vikings get rid of him.
    When will NFL coaches and owners and GMs realize scrambling qbs aren't the answer!
    Culpepper, McNabb, Vick, Brooks, McNair....for all their hype they don't win super bowls.
    A pocket passer is the way to go.
    Manning, Brady, Favre....etc, etc.
    Guys that use their arms first, and run if they really have to.
    They have the ability to read defenses, make good decisions, mental toughness, strong arms, accurate arms, leadership.
    They have what it takes to get the job done.
    Scrambling quarterbacks are not the answer.
    Sure, they'll be shown on sportscenter running around making a great play once in awhile....but if you want to win a super bowl....you go with a more pocket type passer than a scrambler.
    I guess the one good thing if T-Jack is our long term answer at qb is that we can look forward to getting top 10 picks in the draft for the next few years.
    We have a solid defense i think.
    We're not far away from a legitimate contender.
    We need a QB, wide receiver, and a DE/OLB hybrid that can get pressure on the QB, such as Merriman whom we could have had instead of waterboy Troy boy.
    I think if we traded for Carr, drafted a wide receiver, and signed or drafted somebody that could get pressure on the qb we'd have a legitimate shot at making a super bowl run.

cajunvike is offline Jersey Retired

"defensiveplaymaker1" wrote:
    "vikes09" wrote:
    what a crappy way for TJ to go out. well, he's the vikings future, so we're sticking with him.
    NOOOOOOO!!!
    I hope he's not the Viking's future....and if he is...it's gonna be a long sad time until the Vikings get rid of him.
    When will NFL coaches and owners and GMs realize scrambling qbs aren't the answer!
    Culpepper, McNabb, Vick, Brooks, McNair....for all their hype they don't win super bowls.
    A pocket passer is the way to go.
    Manning, Brady, Favre....etc, etc.
    Guys that use their arms first, and run if they really have to.
    They have the ability to read defenses, make good decisions, mental toughness, strong arms, accurate arms, leadership.
    They have what it takes to get the job done.
    Scrambling quarterbacks are not the answer.
    Sure, they'll be shown on sportscenter running around making a great play once in awhile....but if you want to win a super bowl....you go with a more pocket type passer than a scrambler.
    I guess the one good thing if T-Jack is our long term answer at qb is that we can look forward to getting top 10 picks in the draft for the next few years.
    We have a solid defense i think.
    We're not far away from a legitimate contender.
    We need a QB, wide receiver, and a DE/OLB hybrid that can get pressure on the QB, such as Merriman whom we could have had instead of waterboy Troy boy.
    I think if we traded for Carr, drafted a wide receiver, and signed or drafted somebody that could get pressure on the qb we'd have a legitimate shot at making a super bowl run.
    You are assuming that TJack is a scrambler...which is very far from the truth!
    In college, he showed that he is much more of a pocket passer than you give him credit for.

I will admit that he might not be the answer, but to write him off after just a couple of games is just ludicrous.
    Give the guy a chance to win the job...bring in some serious competition (Carr, Garcia, etc.), but let him show what he can do before just kicking him to the curb.
    BANNED OR DEAD...I'LL TAKE EITHER ONE

Desertvikingfan is offline Pro-Bowler

"BrentLee" wrote:

If this is true then Jackson was the only player last year to actually discuss ideas for the offense with BC. And really, how impressive is it that a guy trying to get into the NFL who is expected to go late would drive a couple hours to meet with an actual NFL coach who might draft him. IF that is all it takes to impress our coaching staff we might be in trouble.

Page 51 of 57 FirstFirst ... 414950515253 ... LastLast