Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    I agree... but also because we see so many other young Qb's like RG III, Newton, Luck, Russel Williams, Andy Dalton and even Brandon Weeden lately have had not to mention other QB's recently like Stafford (4th yr), Ryan, Flacco, and Freeman have done in their first few years... Ponder isn't even close. So when you look at those guys, the "he's still young and only in his 2nd year" arguments go out the window...

BTW, wasn't he supposed to be the "MOST NFL READY" out of his draft class??? Sure doesn't look like it...
    Of those 10 Qb's you listed Ponder currently has a better Qb rating than 7 of them(and trails 2 others by less than 5pts).
    He also has more wins than 8 of those QB's(only 1 has more).
    I'm very pleased with what I've seen out of Ponder.

PackSux! is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Actually that's Kingpin's quote you quoted, but I predicted & said that is exactly what was going to happen weeks ago, along with a couple of others.

A deep threat receiver is only a deep threat if you actually use him as one. If you only target him once a game, defenses aren't going to stay back all game waiting for it. They're going to play the short game & give only the single coverage on Simpson.

At this point, I'm not even sure Simpson is even a deep threat to begin with. He certainly isn't getting the separation that we believe he was going to get.
    I would of thought A.J. Green was the deep threat in Cinci last season.

Simpson made a flip into the endzone and became an instant ESPN favorite, then the dumbass thought he would be swift and get a bunch of pot delivered threw the mail. It is a good thing we only gave him a 1 year contract worth 2 mill with a base salary of 800k.

Deep threat receiver and middle linebacker are our biggest needs in my opinion. I have been watching a Henderson Jersey get beat down the middle for way to long now.

But anyways! We are 5-2. There is really nothing to bitch about at this point. Who besides me expected this?

SKOL VIKINGS!

Randy Moss is offline Pro-Bowler
    The only 1st or 2nd year QB I would trade Ponder for is Luck.

NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni
    I will admit I dont have the keen eye some of you have, but I think our lack of throwing the deep ball is not on Ponder. I think we can point to several reasons as to why we dont throw deep. Not one single area is the glaring problem, but rather I think a small part here and there, and compounded we have a deep threat problem. I don't think our receivers right now are cut out for it, I don't think the line gives the necessary time consistently, I think Ponder at times gives up on it to quickly, and I don't think Musgrave calls it all that often. All those combined lead to our lack of a deep game.

On a side note, I really do not think we need a "deep game", but rather right now I would settle for more "intermediate routes". I think Ponder can hit those, and I think we have receivers that can exploit those routes.

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by purplehelmut View Post
    Some of you may give Ponder a pass on the recent "pic-itis" but I don't. First, he's supposed to be smart and those are some of the dumbest throws I've seen. Throws that can get you beat. Second, it's not like the guy hasn't been playing football all his life. How hard is it to figure out not to press a bad situation, throw the ball away, and play the next down? That's QB 101 and everybody acts like it takes years to figure out.
    Actually, it does usually take years for quarterbacks to be NFL ready. One has to remember that, in the NFL, even the worst players were often the best players on their respective teams in college. NFL rookies are the best of the best, and veteran NFL players do not even compare.

Does that mean that we should give Ponder a pass for poor games? No. Does that mean we should not worry about his mechanics, happy feet, lack of arm strength, off target passes, lack of field vision, or inability to go through his progressions? No. We should worry about all of that, but we should know that all of that may be correctable. The fact is that we do not know what Ponder can be or will be in this system or another. We do not know if he will progress or regress. We do not know if he will put it together.

I can state that Eli Manning played worse at the same point in his career. Drew Brees played about the same and then got hurt. Brett Favre played about the same or worse his first two seasons with the Packers. Peyton Manning, with 26 TD's and 28 picks, had a worse rookie season than Ponder had over his first 16 games. All four of those guys have Superbowl rings and will likely end up with each a bust in Canton. That is not to say that Ponder will be that good, it is to say that troubles in his first couple seasons is not a great indicator of his future progress.

Johnson14 is offline Hall of Famer
    Ugly win against a team who have a better D than O!

I'm getting tired of seeing Ponder make the same mistakes again and again, for a supposedly smart guy, he continues to make dumb plays.

AP and Harvin are just flat out beasts!!

Reignman is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by tastywaves View Post
    Did we really call a timeout with 14 seconds to go in the first half back at our own 20 yard line? When I saw it live, I thought it had to be the Cardinals that called the timeout, but no, it appeared we did. Then, we call for a dump off pass to pick up the first down...for what? To have first and 10 at the 25 yard line with 10 seconds left. Regardless of the dumbass throw by Ponder, I really had a hard time figuring that sequence out.
    Haha yeah I was like WTF are we doing? I would understand if we were at midfield but we were at our own 20. No way we were going to get in FG range with our short game. And ofc now that it lead to an INT, I fully expect an overreaction by the coaching staff in similar situations going forward. We'll be taking knees at midfield with over a minute to go from now on.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus View Post
    If the score was 14-7, the Vikings would have played differently in the 4th quarter, so you can't just assume the game would have been tied up.

=Z=
    You're right, but my overall point was, had they tied it up, we either lose or tie in OT because we sure the hell weren't going to score again the way our offense was playing.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by NDVikingFan66 View Post
    I will admit I dont have the keen eye some of you have, but I think our lack of throwing the deep ball is not on Ponder. I think we can point to several reasons as to why we dont throw deep. Not one single area is the glaring problem, but rather I think a small part here and there, and compounded we have a deep threat problem. I don't think our receivers right now are cut out for it, I don't think the line gives the necessary time consistently, I think Ponder at times gives up on it to quickly, and I don't think Musgrave calls it all that often. All those combined lead to our lack of a deep game.

On a side note, I really do not think we need a "deep game", but rather right now I would settle for more "intermediate routes". I think Ponder can hit those, and I think we have receivers that can exploit those routes.
    Exactly! It's a team deficiency, not just on the QB. When he does have time to look downfield, nobody is open. IF somebody gets open, he either doesn't have time, or sometimes doesn't see the guy getting open.

But we do need at least a little deep game. IF you never huck it deep, the safeties continue to creep up, putting more defenders in less space and doing half the opposing D's job for them. We add a true no.1 WR who can get open deep and run all the routes, and it will open things up for everybody else underneath.

Does anybody think Dwayne Bowe is worth a first round pick? OR, perhaps we should ask, IS there any better WRs coming out in the draft this year?
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Im just happy with the w no matter how awful we looked in most phases of the game. Gotta follow it up with another w at home tomorrow!

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678