Whole defensive line

ragz is offline GM

Re: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THOUGHTS AND OBSERVATIONS

"Minniman" wrote:
    "ragz" wrote:
    "Minniman" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    [size=8pt]One thing I noticed and I bet most of you did, too because the TV talked about it a lot. That was Allen's rush on the passer. He almost always went to the outside and was forced wide by the defensive tackle. One time he move to the inside and went in between the guard and tackle and got the best pressure he did all day. I wonder why he isn't doing more of that. Inquiring minds want to know. [/size]
    [size=8pt]Its very difficult to do that on normal plays, Frazier will call that stunt when the time is right. The Panthers were in a 3rd or 4th down situation down two scores, essentially a must passing situation.[/size]
    [size=8pt]Jared Allen was contained for most of the game.
    His bull rush technique was ineffective, and he often took himself out of running plays.
    He lost his containment assignment on the edge.

During the PP.O chat, I mentioned that the Chiefs had used Allen much better by stunting him inside and overloading his edge with a linebacker (to blitz or just get the blocking assignments messed up).

In the second half of the game against the Panthers, the Vikings finally stunted Allen inside, started to bring defenders up to the LOS, and played a wide defensive line formation.
    They also brought in Ellis Wyms to provide more inside pressure to flush the pocket.

Does this say that Allen wasn't playing hard?
    No, he played hard the whole game.
    Does it mean that Allen played great?
    No, he played well enough, but not great.
    Does it mean that Allen isn't Superman?
    Yes, Jared Allen has strengths and weaknesses, and none of them are related to Kryptonite.
    He Does the most damage when the defender cannot use good technique on him or doesn't know where he is coming from.
    Allen can be a monster sack machine but only if the defensive scheme is designed to support his strengths.

A kudos goes out to Leslie Frazier for seeing this and making the adjustments today.
    It is overdue, but welcome nevertheless.
    With this game in mind, I expect to see better results from Jared Allen and the Vikings defensive line.[/size]
    [size=8pt]well you gotta look at it too from the perspective that kwill had 2 sacks today and a good push up the middle from other guys like wyms and so on.
    his presence and double teams i'm sure has alot to do with kwill being able to get pressure up the middle that has been lacking the last couple of years.
    the d-line the last 2 games has been fine, the secondary still concerns me cuz wrs seem to fine holes in the zone too often.
    whats the word on m.williams anyway.
    this should be the week hes coming back but i have not heard anything on any progress he might have made or if he even has a chance to play this week.[/size]
    I watched Allen for most of the game, and I didn't see many double teams.
    Jordan Gross handled Allen for most of the game.
    It wasn't until the Panthers were down by two scores late in the game that Allen got big pressure.

That isn't to say that Allen has not played well.
    He has played well, but he has not been the game changer that the Vikings are paying him to be.
    In my opinion, Ray Edwards has played at least as well as Allen this season even though Edwards does not yet have a recorded sack.

I must add, again, that part of this does not have to do with Jared Allen but with the defensive coaches playing the same straight up rush time and time again.
    When they finally started to stunt Allen or run a wide defensive line, the offensive line started to have problems with blocking assignments and angles of attack.
    I'd like to see the Vikings be much more creative and aggressive with this in the future.
    I'd like to see the front seven work like a more coordinated unit with their gap protection and rush schemes.
    i just think the standards for what we are expecting are a little ridiculous.
    the defense has given up some big plays which have hurt us in games, but to expect allen to have pressure on every play is a big ridiclous.
    we just played two great defensive ends and i believe we only saw them on one play each, and they were going up against a backup.
    we are still playing the run well and outside of the pack game our pass rush has been pretty damn good throughout.
    we are seeing more outta players who in the past have been quiet and that has to have something to do with having a guy like allen.
    i'm not saying we can't critique him but i can think of plenty of other guys to be critical about before we get to allen.
    "self improvement's masturbation.
    now self destruction" that's enlightenment

Yfz01 is offline Asst. Coach

"Minniman" wrote:
    "ragz" wrote:
    "Minniman" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    "COJOMAY" wrote:
    [size=8pt]One thing I noticed and I bet most of you did, too because the TV talked about it a lot. That was Allen's rush on the passer. He almost always went to the outside and was forced wide by the defensive tackle. One time he move to the inside and went in between the guard and tackle and got the best pressure he did all day. I wonder why he isn't doing more of that. Inquiring minds want to know. [/size]
    [size=8pt]Its very difficult to do that on normal plays, Frazier will call that stunt when the time is right. The Panthers were in a 3rd or 4th down situation down two scores, essentially a must passing situation.[/size]
    His bull rush technique was ineffective, and he often took himself out of running plays.

During the PP.O chat, I mentioned that the Chiefs had used Allen much better by stunting him inside and overloading his edge with a linebacker (to blitz or just get the blocking assignments messed up).

In the second half of the game against the Panthers, the Vikings finally stunted Allen inside, started to bring defenders up to the LOS, and played a wide defensive line formation.
    They also brought in Ellis Wyms to provide more inside pressure to flush the pocket.

Yes, Jared Allen has strengths and weaknesses, and none of them are related to Kryptonite.
    He Does the most damage when the defender cannot use good technique on him or doesn't know where he is coming from.
    Allen can be a monster sack machine but only if the defensive scheme is designed to support his strengths.

A kudos goes out to Leslie Frazier for seeing this and making the adjustments today.
    With this game in mind, I expect to see better results from Jared Allen and the Vikings defensive line.[/size]
    [size=8pt]well you gotta look at it too from the perspective that kwill had 2 sacks today and a good push up the middle from other guys like wyms and so on.
    his presence and double teams i'm sure has alot to do with kwill being able to get pressure up the middle that has been lacking the last couple of years.
    the d-line the last 2 games has been fine, the secondary still concerns me cuz wrs seem to fine holes in the zone too often.
    this should be the week hes coming back but i have not heard anything on any progress he might have made or if he even has a chance to play this week.[/size]
    It wasn't until the Panthers were down by two scores late in the game that Allen got big pressure.

He has played well, but he has not been the game changer that the Vikings are paying him to be.
    In my opinion, Ray Edwards has played at least as well as Allen this season even though Edwards does not yet have a recorded sack.

I must add, again, that part of this does not have to do with Jared Allen but with the defensive coaches playing the same straight up rush time and time again.
    When they finally started to stunt Allen or run a wide defensive line, the offensive line started to have problems with blocking assignments and angles of attack.
    I'd like to see the Vikings be much more creative and aggressive with this in the future.
    I'd like to see the front seven work like a more coordinated unit with their gap protection and rush schemes.
    I specifically watched Jared Allen on defense, and he did a good job getting pressure, and was doubled almost the whole game... The running back always went to chip block him.

V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

"Yfz01" wrote:
    "Minniman" wrote:
    "ragz" wrote:
    "Minniman" wrote:
    "VikingsTw" wrote:
    [quote author=COJOMAY link=topic=48059.msg841366#msg841366 date=1222054995]

I specifically watched Jared Allen on defense, and he did a good job getting pressure, and was doubled almost the whole game... The running back always went to chip block him.
    [/quote]

Yup

Some people were saying he wasnt doubled almost at all in the game

I saw he was with the RB.. Not much TE help though

Not much needed when it's Jordan Gross

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

Yeah, he got nice pressure on that one where he dropped behind the Williams and came rushing through over by Ray.
    I think they could do a bit more of that kind of thing to take away the opponent's game plan for him...whatever that is.
    Line him up wide, bring him inside with Robison out wide, have him drop away from the LT, shift over and rush between the Williams etc.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213