Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast
    ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler

Re: OFFICIAL POSTGAME THOUGHTS AND OBSERVATIONS

This is a perfect fit for Gus.
    Control the game, don't make mistakes, use your running game then exploit play action, let your defense get you great field position, take the lead, and play from ahead.

We don't need a Hall of Famer at QB, just someone to control the game.
    The Defense finally looked formitable.

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

"Webby" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    "thevikingfan" wrote:
    what A difference a win makes,this thread would be 50 pages long with a loss
    It's because Winning is supposed to be business as usual for the Vikings.
    Not so much to get antsy about.
    I saw the wave today in the dome for the first time in at least a year.

Everyone was waiting for the other shoe to drop, until, the wave!
    We're in the clear!

The wave starters were so rusty they started while we were on offense, making all that noise.

doh!
    I hate the Wave.

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

Zeus is offline Jersey Retired

Here are some post-game thoughts:

* Gus started rusty, as should have been expected.

* Shiancoe's "drop" should be seen without the "I hate Shank!" virtual-reality helmet on - he was up, extended and then drilled by a safety.
    I'd like to see any of you make that catch.

* The team was clearly energized by my play-by-play call.
    Some might point to Winfield's sack, forced fumble, fumble recovery, TD as the turning point, but it was really the excitement I brought to the Dome with my "bag of potatoes!" finish.

* I love Winfield.

* I was very surprised and excited to see Chester and AD on the field at the same time.
    Good stuff.

* Great pressure from the D-line.
    Seems some folks feel the need to bitch and whine no matter what, but if Jared Allen is getting double-teamed, the middle opens up for KWill and others.

* Players are MUCH BIGGER when you're down on the field.
    Wow.

Great Win.
    Now continue the positive momentum by shocking the Tennessee Valley Authority next Sunday!

=Z=

Thanks to Josdin for the awesome sig!

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:

* Gus started rusty, as should have been expected.

* Shiancoe's "drop" should be seen without the "I hate Shank!" virtual-reality helmet on - he was up, extended and then drilled by a safety.
    I'd like to see any of you make that catch.

Some might point to Winfield's sack, forced fumble, fumble recovery, TD as the turning point, but it was really the excitement I brought to the Dome with my "bag of potatoes!" finish.

* I love Winfield.

* I was very surprised and excited to see Chester and AD on the field at the same time.
    Good stuff.

* Great pressure from the D-line.
    Seems some folks feel the need to bitch and whine no matter what, but if Jared Allen is getting double-teamed, the middle opens up for KWill and others.

* Players are MUCH BIGGER when you're down on the field.
    Wow.

Great Win.
    Now continue the positive momentum by shocking the Tennessee Valley Authority next Sunday!

=Z=
    How awesome would it be to pull out some RB direct snap, option offense like the dolphins did this week. Make this KOA truly Kick Ass.

NordicNed is offline Jersey Retired

"Zeus" wrote:

NordicNeds,
    Telepathic Naked Powers, sent to the huddles.
    This alone gave us the upper hand.

I Love Naked Ned

=Z=

I LOVE THE SMELL OF VICTORY IN THE MORNING AIR.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Not a bad game to begin Gus's place as starting QB and my views on this as follows:

QB play - worlds apart from what we have seen with TJ - now whether that is due to Gus being able than TJ to handle more of the playbook or simply that Childress / Bevel were more adventurous remains to be seen. One game is not enough to judge however it was clear that we do have passing plays that are longer than 10 yds and also extend pas the first down marker. Gus was certainly making the throws and, more importantly, generating confidence that we could in fact move the ball.
    It was interesting the difference in terms of self confidence. Gus had an early drop by Shiancoe plus the interception but it didn't seem to bother him as much as similar things have with TJ - one benefit of having veteran backup at the position.

Defence - good game, especially when they really pushed the Panthers back in the 4th quarter. Winfield's sack/TD was the turning point which really ramped things up. Credit to EJ who seemed to be everywhere on the field and, if he wasn't making the tackle, was in close vicinity. Good to see the DL start to get pressure on the QB and on a consistent basis.

ST's - still give me worries when I see them take to the field - given the long runback for Carolina negated by a block in the back and the blocked FG negated by Fox calling a TO then we were lucky with them yesterday. Definite room for improvement on all aspects of ST's.

Looking forward to another weeks worth of reps and run throws between Gus and the receivers - WR/TE & RBs to help get them more in sync with the passing game. If that start clicking more then our offense will finally start to look more balanced. Now that film is going to be available from yesterday then our longer passing game won't be a surprise any more to teams.

In all a better game than we have played this year but I would like to see us putting far more points on the board as 20 points isn't going to be enough each week. We can't rely each week on the defence holding teams to low scores alone but, based on yesterday, we may not have to do that so much.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

EJ Henderson had 11 tackles and 1 assist.
    He was a monster out there yesterday!
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame

"Overlord" wrote:
    I find myself thinking along the lines of Schutz's comments.
    Gus was mediocre, but we got the win.
    If that means the team believes in him and will play better around him, then so be it.

I don't think that Gus energized the team though.
    That first quarter was pretty brutal.
    We had four possessions and managed one first down as we threw it 11 times and ran it 3.
    The players looked beat, and I remember a comment from one of the sideline reporters that AD was out of it and shaking his head as he went back on the field.

Gus' stats weren't that much better than Tarvaris', with the real difference being that B-twice made the play to help him out and then Shiancoe didn't mess up right after that.
    The offense managed 13 points today.
    Not exceptional.

So I credit the big play by Winfield with turning the tide.
    And when it actually turned, it was impressive.
    The first three quarters the Panther's O-line was embarrassing our D-line five-on-four in the passing game.
    In the fourth quarter it was our front four that controlled the game.

I'm looking forward to what should be a very difficult game against the Titans next week.
    They are good on defense... very good.

If we can get through the next two weeks at 2-3 or 3-2 though, and if our defense plays with the energy they had in the second half, the rest of our schedule looks favorable.
    Good summary.
    I agree that AW's play was very likely the difference in this game.
    Without it, not sure how this thing would have ended up.

The thing about this game that was different in our first two weeks, is that this game we closed it out.
    The first two weeks we didn't seem to be able to come up with the plays we needed to pull out a W.
    Between the rise in play of the defensive line and the long sustained offensive drive late in the game, Carolina never really had a chance for a late game push that we have seen so often.
    Game momentum is going to shift back and forth, big plays will be made by both teams, its how you respond that matters.
    This time we seemed to have more confidence and were not sitting back waiting for this thing to self destruct.

AW's TD, Berrian's catch and Shancoe's TD were 3 big plays that were missing in the first two games.
    Just the fact that Berrian and Shancoe made the catches was a huge defining moment for this team.
    maybe it will spark a little confidence for the rest of the team down the road.
    It was refreshing to see us start out throwing, of course, its only effective if you actually make the plays, but it at least showed we weren't afraid to throw the ball.
    I doubt are passing game is going to put any great fear into Tennessee at this point, but they will probably give it a little more respect than they would of after the first two games.

ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler

"Zeus" wrote:
    "Webby" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    "thevikingfan" wrote:
    what A difference a win makes,this thread would be 50 pages long with a loss
    It's because Winning is supposed to be business as usual for the Vikings.
    Not so much to get antsy about.
    I saw the wave today in the dome for the first time in at least a year.

Everyone was waiting for the other shoe to drop, until, the wave!
    We're in the clear!

The wave starters were so rusty they started while we were on offense, making all that noise.

doh!
    I hate the Wave.

=Z=
    I hate it too!

MaxVike is offline Team Alumni

"G" wrote:
    Got to give it to you guys, That D-Line of yours played a solid game. I hate the loss for us and I will do some cussing about our O-Line but I can't take away from your D today fellas. Great game you played. Now I have some cussing of O-Line to do.
    ;D
    The game ball goes to the D-Line, to be sure.
    I have said many times that the two biggest benefactors of the Jared Allen acquisition were going to be EJ and KWill...it is starting to play out.
    2 sacks for KWill, 11 tackles, 3 for loss for EJ.
    Jake looked like he went 10 rounds with Joe Louis after the game.

Carolina is a good team, Fox has them playing at a high level.
    Steve Smith will make them that much better...going forward.

Play of the game was clearly Winfield's gem...talk about a clutch play.
    Would love to see that diagnosed on NFL Live, they must have filtered everything to Jake's left...keeping him focused away from Winfield.

Crowd was awesome!

Hicks - hey, he's playing quite well IMO.

Still too many penalties.

The defense is lighting fast, physical, and nasty.
    They are gonna need to be for Tennessee and Jacksonville...keep it up fellas.

Thought they came out passing not to prove a point persay, but, to try to catch the Panthers off balance.
    It was clear to me that AD did not have the explosiveness and that he was slowed a little.
    I think Childress may be finally figuring out that you run to control the clock and you score touchdowns largely due to the passing game.
    Credit Fox, and the Panthers defense with having an early answer to the Vikes throwing.

Encouraged by Gus' throwing ability and rocket arm...much more encouraged with his leadership.
    He clearly took charge and embraced the opportunity of being the QB of a team that is loaded with talent.
    His success will be defined by his ability to lead the team to scoring touchdowns.

As pissed off as I was at Shiancoe last week, I will try to stay to my earlier post that "I will reserve judgement until after Game 4."
    Let's just say he got rocked and dropped a pass...I'll give you that one; you got "jacked up."
    On the TD, you should've caught it, and you did.
    Keep it up.

Bobby Wade - you are not the fastest, the strongest, the biggest, the quickest; but, you seem to get open and YOU CATCH THE BALL.
    Athankyou.

I wish we had Al Harris and Charles Woodson.
    CB play was decent, but only because there was pressure.

As I've said, gotta get through the first 5 games with no worse than 2-3 record.
    Yesterday was a pretty crucial win, especially given the previous loss.
    The Chicago and Green Bay losses don't hurt either.

Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent
    ----------------------------------------------
    As a matter of fact, I do know

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast