Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021
    bleedpurple is offline Ring of Fame

Re: Official Post Game Thoughts nad Observationa

"vikingivan" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Mr-holland" wrote:
    [quote author=Purple D link=topic=40223.msg686371#msg686371 date=1196964783]
    [quote author=V4L link=topic=40223.msg686329#msg686329 date=1196962718]
    [quote author=Mr-holland link=topic=40223.msg686328#msg686328 date=1196962662]
    [quote author=Purple D link=topic=40223.msg686320#msg686320 date=1196962235]
    [quote author=Mr-holland link=topic=40223.msg686317#msg686317 date=1196962010]
    we desperately need a new Wr.. the guys we have now are hopeless ( Except Rice ) wade isn't all that good either..
    I think our Recievers are not as bad as everyone thinks.
    Rice will be a pro bowler in the future and Allison will probably be in the top 4 next year if not by the end of this year and Wade is actually a good slot receiver.

One More good Receiver in the Offseason and we will have a pretty solid crew.
    who tells you Allison will be in the top 4 next year? by the good catch he had?

Probably his upside
    You don't have to see Allison play for too long to see that he has incredible upside.
    He will be a great threat for this offense sooner rather than later.
    Rice should still be our number one unless we bring in someone considerably better.
    I agree that allison could be with the top 4 Wr's but given that our wr's arn't that good and i really would like a FA brought in i don't think he's be a #3#4 receiver. you have 1 and 2 for Rice and the FA and #3 and #4 for T-will and Wade
    [/quote]

Allison is waaaaaaaay better than Bobby Wade... if a receiver is brought in next year, i think it will be that guy, Rice, then allison... wade as a #4 guy.. depending on the formation... but Allison will clearly be one of our better receivers we'll have on this roster.
    [/quote]
    What makes you say that?
    You all need to remember that when you think of WR and thier role in the WCO you can't just plug a guy in and hope he works.
    You really need 3 different types of WR on your roster to make sure that you can effectively run the offense.

Below are two articles that will help I think.
    The first kindof explain the positions and the type of players for each as well as the second actually breaks down the Vikings WR's and thier role.

The focal point and key to a successful West Coast offense, though, is the wide receiver position. Unlike other offenses, wide receivers fit into a different terminology of positions on the field. West Coast receivers have to be excellent at gaining yards after the reception, something that made retired NFL great Jerry Rice such a lethal wide receiver for the better part of two decades. They include:

Split End: This position is generally reserved for a more possession-type receiver that has a good release off the line, because the split end must line up on the line of scrimmage on the weak side of the field.

Flanker: This position gives the receiver more freedom, since he doesn't line up on the line of scrimmage and can go in motion to the weak side of the field. An illegal formation penalty will be called if there is not a wideout on the weak side of the play, whereas the tight end on the power side is on the line of scrimmage. The flanker is not technically reserved for a speedy receiver, but it does give smaller, speedier receivers more room to work.

Slot: The newer versions of the West Coast offense often use a third receiver placed in the slot instead of a second tight end. Slot receivers are generally smaller, speedier players that have trouble beating press coverage. However, some teams may use bigger players to offset this.
    http://www.kffl.com/article.php/73828/488
    http://www.kffl.com/article.php/71985/74
    [/quote]

Not to knock the guy Wade.. hey he's a NFL receiver and a very rich guy... but i'll just put it this way... Your gonna build a team and need a receiver.. and your choices are b/t Bobby Wade and Aundre Allison.. who do you pick???
    That in my opinion is a no-brainer.. you put the three most talented guys on the field... i don't give a crap about the kick jiggly but offensive positions that guys need to "fit" into for the WCO.. Allison is more talented and has more upside...

if you want yards after the catch... Allison has shown he can do this... wade is more of a posession receiver.. and while he's more savvy right now.. and is a decent possession receiver, i still would rather Aundre be on the field..

While he hasn't had that much P.T. obvously.. he had a key catch I think in the Atlanta game and has had some big returns for us in the kicking game... plus he's faster than wade..

So, based on body of work "this year" yeah, you'd probably say wade was more productive, but that doesn't mean he's better...

and i dont' care how much we paid for the dude... If he's being outplayed he needs to be on the field... Brady Quinn is making more money than Derek Anderson, that doesn't mean you play Quinn over DA..

Yes, AA has had pretty much 1 good game in extended playing time.. but unless he regresses, he can only get better and there's no way to convice me that Wade is better than AA....

and Mr. Holland... Wade has a big contract.. does that mean you play him over Sidney Rice.. he's clearly making more than Rice is... Right?? so you tell me... guys get cut all the time...

Next year, if we bring in a wide out.. say Fitz.. for arguments sake... okay!!!

I think anybody in their right mind would be more scared of seeing Fitz, Rice and Allison on the field, versus, Fitz, Rice and Wade..

<Marrdro.. for arguments sake, say, since Fitz is more of a possession guy, since i know your gonna attack from that standpoint.. say we bring in Roy Williams, or MOss, whomever is a speed guy.. (just making a point i nkow we won't actually bring these people in-atleast not next year), I think the same still holds par..

assuming you get the same production out of Allison as you did last game..being par for the course as saying that's a consistent game from Allison.. minus the KR for a TD.. strickly in the passing game...

SO, that's my argument for AA over BW... i don't see how you can compare the two as saying you'd rather have wade over AA...

PLUS half of the people on here think we OVERPAID THE GUY ANYWAY... which we did...

so i dont see how anyone in their right mind would play Wade over Aundre...

you know the guy has talent... plus he spent a few weeks or so on Mel Kipers top 25 board.. so you know he has skills.. he just slipped in to the 5th round and i think he's gonna be a steal!!!!
    [/quote]

In the Vikings offensive scheme it is important that our wide receivers are good blockers.
    Wade made a nice block on the AD TD run.
    Wade might not be putting up huge numbers receiving, but, he is down field blocking on every run play.
    [/quote]

what does that have to do with the price of tea in China????
    we were talking about receiving skills... you act like AA can't block!!
    or doesn't block well...

and it's not about stats, it's about making plays.. and IMO AA with more PT could make more plays than BW

BigMoInAZ is offline Pro-Bowler

"BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "SKOL" wrote:
    At the office today, around the water cooler, we were talking about TJacks one, and only, mistake of the afternoon.

The game was well at hand, so we could all laugh about it, but what was that?
    At the 5 yard line, with plenty of time TJack throws it, on a rope, to the lone player on that part of the field, a Detroit Lion.
    The guy must have been 5 yards out of position if the ball was thrown anywhere close to one of our receivers.
    But TJack hits him in the numbers.

I don't mean to bring up a negative, but we all got a big chuckle out of that.
    Maybe Childress wasn't trying to run up the score after all?

I've yet to see a good replay of that play, not sure what TJack saw or what he was trying to do.
    Obviously it was a mistake, I just couldn't tell how big of one because I didn't get to see a receiver.
    Sometimes QBs look right past LBs to their WR... they are looking for CB and Safety coverage and don't see the LB right in front of them.
    Here's a great view of it at the end of the film!
    TJack was trying to get the ball to B. Wade and you could tell by the trajectory he obviously thought Wade was running a comeback route.
    Lion CB T. Fisher was waiting in the wings as they were in a nickel or dime defense cause Fisher was at an OLB position at the start of the play!
    These little things would hurt if the team didn't have a 32 point lead, but if Wade was confused and was running a corner route you'd have to ask why?
    The guy is only 5'9" tall so he's not the right person to be throwing a fade corner pass too and the comeback is definetly Wades bread and butter route on this offense.
    JM2CW!
    Enjoyhttp://youtube.com/watch?v=gQw-vjtAf_U

Lo there, do I see the line of my People...Back to the Beginning.
    Lo do They call to me...They bid me take my Place among Them...in the Halls of VALHALLA where t

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"BigMoInAZ" wrote:
    "BleedinPandG" wrote:
    "SKOL" wrote:
    At the office today, around the water cooler, we were talking about TJacks one, and only, mistake of the afternoon.

The game was well at hand, so we could all laugh about it, but what was that?
    At the 5 yard line, with plenty of time TJack throws it, on a rope, to the lone player on that part of the field, a Detroit Lion.
    The guy must have been 5 yards out of position if the ball was thrown anywhere close to one of our receivers.
    But TJack hits him in the numbers.

I don't mean to bring up a negative, but we all got a big chuckle out of that.
    Maybe Childress wasn't trying to run up the score after all?

I've yet to see a good replay of that play, not sure what TJack saw or what he was trying to do.
    Obviously it was a mistake, I just couldn't tell how big of one because I didn't get to see a receiver.
    Sometimes QBs look right past LBs to their WR... they are looking for CB and Safety coverage and don't see the LB right in front of them.
    Here's a great view of it at the end of the film!
    TJack was trying to get the ball to B. Wade and you could tell by the trajectory he obviously thought Wade was running a comeback route.
    Lion CB T. Fisher was waiting in the wings as they were in a nickel or dime defense cause Fisher was at an OLB position at the start of the play!
    These little things would hurt if the team didn't have a 32 point lead, but if Wade was confused and was running a corner route you'd have to ask why?
    The guy is only 5'9" tall so he's not the right person to be throwing a fade corner pass too and the comeback is definetly Wades bread and butter route on this offense.
    JM2CW!
    Enjoyhttp://youtube.com/watch?v=gQw-vjtAf_U
    Thanks for linking the vid I made.

We are discssuing it here.

http://www.purplepride.org/forums/index.php?topic=40292.0

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

Thanks for putting it here too BigMo... not sure I would have spotted it in the other spot.

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

ultravikingfan is offline Administrator

"SKOL" wrote:
    Thanks for putting it here too BigMo... not sure I would have spotted it in the other spot.
    Thanks, I only made the thing.
    :-

BigMoInAZ is offline Pro-Bowler

"SKOL" wrote:
    My pleasure SKOL!
    And yes Ultra must have made it!
    I got the link off the Kansas Viking website!
    Thanks Krulik! ;D

Lo there, do I see the line of my People...Back to the Beginning.
    Lo do They call to me...They bid me take my Place among Them...in the Halls of VALHALLA where t

cogitans is offline Jersey Retired

"BigMoInAZ" wrote:
    "SKOL" wrote:
    My pleasure SKOL!
    And yes Ultra must have made it!
    I got the link off the Kansas Viking website!
    Thanks Krulik! ;D
    Funny how things travel around

Thanks to PPE for the sig.

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

My friend, you are either way confused or missed my whole point.
    I will go with the later as sometimes I don't explain myself well without a beer in my hand.
    ;D

I am not sure why/how you got off on such a tangent and feel that you need to defend AA as a viable reciever on this team.
    I don't think anyone will argue with you that he has alot of talent and will be a very good reciever in this scheme, however, you seem to be missing the point that everybody (including the recievers) have a role in the grander scheme of things, have been drafted or signed because they have those talents and play at those positions.

To try to argue that AA and B-wade are better or not based on thier talents and how they fit in this scheme is just crazy.
    Thier roles are significantly different and can't be compared.

With that said,.........
    Not to knock the guy Wade.. hey he's a NFL receiver and a very rich guy... but i'll just put it this way... Your gonna build a team and need a receiver.. and your choices are b/t Bobby Wade and Aundre Allison.. who do you pick???
    That in my opinion is a no-brainer.. you put the three most talented guys on the field... i don't give a crap about the kick jiggly but offensive positions that guys need to "fit" into for the WCO.. Allison is more talented and has more upside...
    if you want yards after the catch... Allison has shown he can do this... wade is more of a posession receiver.. and while he's more savvy right now.. and is a decent possession receiver, i still would rather Aundre be on the field..
    So your telling me you would put talent over scheme?
    The Dolphins did that with Ted Ginn Jr.. How is that working out for them?

Don't get me wrong, I love Allison's upside, but if I was picking recievers for the Scheme, the first guy I would go with is the possession guy especially if I was gonna try and groom/grow a raw but talented QB to run the system.
    Especially if I had a new blocking scheme being implemented by OL.
    That alone would make me want to pick a guy who could get open quick and catch the ball in traffic.

We say how well our QB's did last year without a WR who could catch.
    ;D

While he hasn't had that much P.T. obvously.. he had a key catch I think in the Atlanta game and has had some big returns for us in the kicking game... plus he's faster than wade..

So, based on body of work "this year" yeah, you'd probably say wade was more productive, but that doesn't mean he's better...
    Not gonna slam on you here, but I've seen this a thousand times, in fact we have a thread going on just like this about Bush
    ;D.
    A guy makes one or two good plays and then he is the second coming.

With that said, however, Show me were I said that anyone was better or worse.
    All I gave you were the roles that the recievers play in this scheme and thier stats.
    For this arguments sake the stats don't lie.
    B-wade has been very (considering how unproductive this offense has been) productive in his role.
    A role, by the way, that AA wasn't brought in to play.

and i dont' care how much we paid for the dude... If he's being outplayed he needs to be on the field... Brady Quinn is making more money than Derek Anderson, that doesn't mean you play Quinn over DA..
    How did pay vs play get into this?
    Regardless, are you telling me that B-wade is being outplayed by AA?
    How the heck can you make that statement if that is what you mean.
    Maybe I am missread your statement or something.

Yes, AA has had pretty much 1 good game in extended playing time.. but unless he regresses, he can only get better and there's no way to convice me that Wade is better than AA....
    See it is statements like this that worrry me my friend.
    Its my job to try to convince you otherwise.
    If I can't do that then PPO would be boring.
    ;D (JK That was a joke my friend).

Seriously, he will get better.
    I never said in my post that he is crap, is gonna be crap, will always be crap.
    Again, I must be confused and you are addressing another poster.

<Marrdro.. for arguments sake, say, since Fitz is more of a possession guy, since i know your gonna attack from that standpoint.. say we bring in Roy Williams, or MOss, whomever is a speed guy.. (just making a point i nkow we won't actually bring these people in-atleast not next year), I think the same still holds par..
    Its a silly question my friend.
    Sure I would love to see another Vet WR like Fritz on this team but you have to understand that Fritz, if brought in, would be brought in to do different types of things than B-wade my friend.
    Again, back to the whole talent fits the role of the player in the scheme argument that you discounted.

If we went with a 2 WR set you wouldn't even see B-wade or AA on the field as both of them would be on the bench in this system.
    Under your scenario you would probably see T-will/Rice and Fritz on the field with a TE or a RB drifting out as a dumpoff if the blocking scheme allowed with the speedy (T-will/Rice) guy stretching the field and the Big strong guy (Fritz) running a deep crossing route or a slant.

SO, that's my argument for AA over BW... i don't see how you can compare the two as saying you'd rather have wade over AA...
    Again, you missunderstanding my comments I think if you think this discussion is over a comparrison of wanting one over the other.
    I would want them both my friend.

Look, its not that I would want B-wade over AA but that I would use them in different roles as defined by the scheme, what package the D had on the field and what play(s) I had dialed up.

If I wanted to run a bunch of quick slants in heavy traffice and needed the WR to run precise timed routes I would go with B-wade/TE.
    If I wanted to runner deeper routes like some crossing patterns or skinny posts I would run AA/Fritz/TE, if I wanted to stretch the D and push it upfield on them I would go with Rice/T-will.
    Ultimately though, for the WCO to be effective, I would like to have the luxury of running all 3 patterns plus have a killer RB standing in the backfield waiting to run it or catch it in the area vacated by my WR's.

Again, it isn't as simple as saying I like him over B-wade or think he would be a better player.
    Each has a role.
    That is why it is a team sport my friend.

PLUS half of the people on here think we OVERPAID THE GUY ANYWAY... which we did...

you know the guy has talent... plus he spent a few weeks or so on Mel Kipers top 25 board.. so you know he has skills.. he just slipped in to the 5th round and i think he's gonna be a steal!!!!
    Bryzcheapski never over payes my friend.
    I am on his ass alot, but that is one thing he didn't do.
    When this offense starts clicking you will see that B-wade and Shank will be worth every penny.

Take a quick look at the games we have had a passing attack in and you will see that although B-wade didn't have the sexy long ball, he did make key catches that moved the chains, kept the offense on the field and our defense off the field and in a couple of instances set us up in pretty damn good field position for a TD or two.
    ;D

Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Purple D is offline Starter

"bleedpurple" wrote:
    "vikingivan" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "bleedpurple" wrote:
    [quote author=Mr-holland link=topic=40223.msg686439#msg686439 date=1196970535]
    [quote author=Purple D link=topic=40223.msg686371#msg686371 date=1196964783]
    [quote author=V4L link=topic=40223.msg686329#msg686329 date=1196962718]
    [quote author=Mr-holland link=topic=40223.msg686328#msg686328 date=1196962662]
    [quote author=Purple D link=topic=40223.msg686320#msg686320 date=1196962235]
    [quote author=Mr-holland link=topic=40223.msg686317#msg686317 date=1196962010]
    we desperately need a new Wr.. the guys we have now are hopeless ( Except Rice ) wade isn't all that good either..
    I think our Recievers are not as bad as everyone thinks.
    Rice will be a pro bowler in the future and Allison will probably be in the top 4 next year if not by the end of this year and Wade is actually a good slot receiver.

One More good Receiver in the Offseason and we will have a pretty solid crew.
    who tells you Allison will be in the top 4 next year? by the good catch he had?

Probably his upside
    You don't have to see Allison play for too long to see that he has incredible upside.
    He will be a great threat for this offense sooner rather than later.
    Rice should still be our number one unless we bring in someone considerably better.
    I agree that allison could be with the top 4 Wr's but given that our wr's arn't that good and i really would like a FA brought in i don't think he's be a #3#4 receiver. you have 1 and 2 for Rice and the FA and #3 and #4 for T-will and Wade
    [/quote]

Allison is waaaaaaaay better than Bobby Wade... if a receiver is brought in next year, i think it will be that guy, Rice, then allison... wade as a #4 guy.. depending on the formation... but Allison will clearly be one of our better receivers we'll have on this roster.
    [/quote]
    What makes you say that?
    You all need to remember that when you think of WR and thier role in the WCO you can't just plug a guy in and hope he works.
    You really need 3 different types of WR on your roster to make sure that you can effectively run the offense.

Below are two articles that will help I think.
    The first kindof explain the positions and the type of players for each as well as the second actually breaks down the Vikings WR's and thier role.

The focal point and key to a successful West Coast offense, though, is the wide receiver position. Unlike other offenses, wide receivers fit into a different terminology of positions on the field. West Coast receivers have to be excellent at gaining yards after the reception, something that made retired NFL great Jerry Rice such a lethal wide receiver for the better part of two decades. They include:

Split End: This position is generally reserved for a more possession-type receiver that has a good release off the line, because the split end must line up on the line of scrimmage on the weak side of the field.

Flanker: This position gives the receiver more freedom, since he doesn't line up on the line of scrimmage and can go in motion to the weak side of the field. An illegal formation penalty will be called if there is not a wideout on the weak side of the play, whereas the tight end on the power side is on the line of scrimmage. The flanker is not technically reserved for a speedy receiver, but it does give smaller, speedier receivers more room to work.

Slot: The newer versions of the West Coast offense often use a third receiver placed in the slot instead of a second tight end. Slot receivers are generally smaller, speedier players that have trouble beating press coverage. However, some teams may use bigger players to offset this.
    http://www.kffl.com/article.php/73828/488
    http://www.kffl.com/article.php/71985/74
    [/quote]

and Mr. Holland... Wade has a big contract.. does that mean you play him over Sidney Rice.. he's clearly making more than Rice is... Right?? so you tell me... guys get cut all the time...

Next year, if we bring in a wide out.. say Fitz.. for arguments sake... okay!!!

I think anybody in their right mind would be more scared of seeing Fitz, Rice and Allison on the field, versus, Fitz, Rice and Wade..

assuming you get the same production out of Allison as you did last game..being par for the course as saying that's a consistent game from Allison.. minus the KR for a TD.. strickly in the passing game...

[/quote]

In the Vikings offensive scheme it is important that our wide receivers are good blockers.
    Wade made a nice block on the AD TD run.
    Wade might not be putting up huge numbers receiving, but, he is down field blocking on every run play.
    [/quote]

what does that have to do with the price of tea in China????
    we were talking about receiving skills... you act like AA can't block!!
    or doesn't block well...

and it's not about stats, it's about making plays.. and IMO AA with more PT could make more plays than BW

[/quote]

Our WR crew should be Rice, Wade, Allison,ferguson,and Williamson in that order IMO. I don't think Wade is overpaid. He went for the going price.
    If we offered him less he might of went somewhere else for what we are paying him now.
    All of the WR's on this team can do their job.
    Because of the early problems at QB this season, we have not been able to see this Crew's full potential.
    I think the better TJ gets this year the better the WR crew will be.
    It just takes a little time and a little patience on our part.
    Four score and seven years ago, Brad Childress has brought upon this team, a west coast offense, conceived in San Francisco, and Dedicated to be a Kick jiggly butt offence. We are now engaged in an NFL season, testing weather that offense can get going or that our defense can long endure.

SKOL is offline Ring of Fame

"ultravikingfan" wrote:
    "SKOL" wrote:
    Thanks, I only made the thing.

:-\
    lol, thanks to you too Ultra!!

The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good -Samuel Johnson - lexicographer
    The word genius isn t applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein - Joe Theisman

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11192021