Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789
    V4L
    V4L is offline Jersey Retired

Re: The Official How Much Will TJ's Contract Extension Be Thread

"Overlord" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

All I'm saying is that sometime this year or during the offseason next year this kid is either gonna get a
    contract from the Vikes or he will become a FA.
    Seems you would be happy it wouldn't be with the Vikes but I really believe that is gonna be unlikely.

Feel free to bring this back up if I'm wrong, but I believe there is NO WAY that he signs an extension before the end of this season.
    The earliest that he might sign an extension is during the offseason next year, and that is unlikely.
    I believe that an extension might be worked on during the 2009 season.
    The key dates to look for an extension are October 2009 - February 2010.

Also, I believe that there is NO WAY that Tarvaris gets cut next year to becomes a free agent.
    Rookie contracts are way too cheap to cut someone with starting experience.
    At the very least he would serve as a 3rd string QB.
    He may become a free agent in the spring of 2010 after his contract expires, but only if he does poorly the next two years.
    Even then, he might be brought back.

I totally agree homie

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

"Overlord" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:

All I'm saying is that sometime this year or during the offseason next year this kid is either gonna get a
    Seems you would be happy it wouldn't be with the Vikes but I really believe that is gonna be unlikely.

Feel free to bring this back up if I'm wrong, but I believe there is NO WAY that he signs an extension before the end of this season.
    The earliest that he might sign an extension is during the offseason next year, and that is unlikely.
    I believe that an extension might be worked on during the 2009 season.
    The key dates to look for an extension are October 2009 - February 2010.

Also, I believe that there is NO WAY that Tarvaris gets cut next year to becomes a free agent.
    Rookie contracts are way too cheap to cut someone with starting experience.
    At the very least he would serve as a 3rd string QB.
    He may become a free agent in the spring of 2010 after his contract expires, but only if he does poorly the next two years.
    Even then, he might be brought back.
    No one said anything about cutting him next year.
    The discussion is what happens when his contract is due or if his agent comes a calling as well as what is the opinion that the Vikes might try to ink a deal early in an effort to save some money.

That latter option is centered on the premise that they see enough in the kid to go ahead and use his stats (or lack thereof) as a bargaining chip to get him at a reduced price.
    (All speculation of course) Or do they wait until after this season and go into his last contract year (2009) and then bargain with him then and take the chance he doesn't somehow evolve into the QB that we all want him to be.

Here is some discussion on when a few pages ago related to when his contract is up.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think his last contract year is 2009.
    There is no way his agent will let him enter that year without trying to at least get an extension.

Year 1 26 Jul 2006 - 26 Jul 2007
    Year 2 26 Jul 2007 - 26 Jul 2008
    Year 3 26 Jul 2008 - 26 Jul 2009
    Year 4 26 Jul 2009 - 26 Jul 2010

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarvaris_Jackson

You are correct that his last contract year is 2009.
    I will point out a minor correction, and that is that he is under contract until the end of February 2010, not July (start of free agency).
    So he is still under contract this year and next year.

In my mind, there is no way the Vikings extend Tarvaris before the end of this season.
    Why would they?
    They don't know if he's their long-term solution yet, and he has no leverage.
    Wouldn't they rather pay him $0.5 million next year than give him a big raise?

So then we're into next offseason.
    Let's assume that Tarvaris does well.
    Then they want to start talking about extending him.
    But they'd like to see him match that level of play again before giving him big money.
    His agent and Tarvaris realize that they can improve their chances at getting a big deal if they wait for Tarvaris to play well in the first half of the season, while they really don't help their position if they threaten to hold out.

If Tarvaris does REALLY well next year, then they definately wait.
    The Vikings won't be willing to give big money without a couple seasons of play at that level, and they'll have the 4th contract year and the franchise card to hold over him.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni

IMHO he'd have to do really, really well to earn an early contract extension.
    And, depending on how well, his agent might decide to wait and see if they can drive up the price anyway.
    Doesn't seem to me the type of guy thats going to threaten or holdout...actually, I think he appreciates the chance he's been given.

All that said, I don't see much chance of a third year QB approaching his 16th start lighting up the league to the point of getting a huge contract.
    Likely better, but still learning.
    Chances are he gets a deal like Romo's with some extra incentives, and its a bargain, cuz it gets signed 1.5 years from now...after the price has gone up again.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Schutz is offline Team Alumni

"Marrdro" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    Contract EXTENSION?
    Are you NUTS?!?!?!?
    Based upon WHAT????

Tarvaris Jackson is to Quarterbacks right now what Troy Williamson is to Wide Receivers.

Remember all the people saying that Williamson deserved another chance?
    Remember how they claimed he had all this potential?
    WRONG!!!!!

I am hearing the same silliness about Jackson.

His 8-4 record as a starter?
    You mean Peterson and the Defense's 8-4 record, right?
    Name ONE game that Tarvaris "WON".
    Just one.
    One game where he was an important part of the process and made things happen that led to victory.

You can't.

And you want to talk about extending his contract?
    Seriously?

Why not wait until he DOES something.
    About week 4 we should have a pretty good idea of how this season is going to go as far as Jackson's performance is concerned.
    At about that point we should also have a fairly good idea of what his relative worth to the franchise is.

If he tears it up, comes out firing on all cylinders, and starts having QB ratings in the 90's or better, THEN let's start whispering about extensions.
    But if he continues to put in lackluster performances, why bother?
    Bollinger can do THAT.
    Hells bells, I can do that.

Contract extension?
    In the words of Stephan A. Smith...."Oh, pstop it!!"

Caine
    LOL.
    Your on a roll this morning.

Here's what I said a few pages back.

And they better know by the middle of this season if he is the long term answer.
    Hell, most casual fans will be able to see how much he has progressed by at least game 2 or 3.
    Just one.
    One game where he was an important part of the process and made things happen that led to victory.
    Your right, I can't, however, I can list 8 that he didn't loose for us right along with the 2 that he did loose for us.

Truth of the matter is that his agent will come a calling and it will be interesting to watch how Bryzcheapski handles this one, not to mention the fans.
    So he gets an extension based on the fact that he hasn't accomplished anything other than like you said...........nothing.
    The only highlights of his 2 year career are not losing games?
    I mean we can disagree about whether the man becomes a serviceable starter in the NFL, but he's not going to make anything more than back-up money unless his level of play makes a HUGE leap.
    You seem to really dislike the guy.
    All he has done is learn on the field in front of our eyes instead of carrying a clip board.
    He hasn't buckled under pressure and become a nut case like some thought he would.
    He had a few bad games like most believed he would and he has shown flashes but to say he hasn't shown "Nothing" is a bit of a reach.

He's shown that he is a kid that wasn't NFL ready, is a willing student, plays hard and learns at a quicker pace than most thought and if push comes to shove, hasn't done all that bad considering his background and experience.

Regardless, he is gonna get paid and it isn't for "backup" money.
    Only time will tell.
    I suspect this thread will get dredged up within a twelve month window and we will see who was right and who gets one of these.....

My guess would be that there are gonna be alot of people that will be putting thier bibs on this year.
    ;D
    I don't hate him Mar, I just keep pointing out that he's accomplished LESS than such QBs as Quincy Carter and company and unless he steps up he's not going to make anything other than backup money.
    Show me, show me what he's done that will make him more of a commodity than Quincy Carter?
    Heck I believe he's only going to be a restricted free agent anyways so we can just put the big tag on him and get a 1st and a 3rd like all the teams that lined up for Derek Anderson after having a good year.

Indeed my friend there is going to be more crow then we'll know what to do with by the end of this season.
    And I have a feeling one way or another T-Jack will the "prized example" of one side or the other.
    Only time will tell who's backing the right horse.

"Schutz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:
    "Marrdro" wrote:
    "Caine" wrote:
    Contract EXTENSION?

Are you NUTS?!?!?!?
    Based upon WHAT????

Tarvaris Jackson is to Quarterbacks right now what Troy Williamson is to Wide Receivers.

Remember all the people saying that Williamson deserved another chance?
    Remember how they claimed he had all this potential?
    WRONG!!!!!

I am hearing the same silliness about Jackson.

His 8-4 record as a starter?
    You mean Peterson and the Defense's 8-4 record, right?
    Just one.

You can't.

And you want to talk about extending his contract?
    Seriously?

Why not wait until he DOES something.
    About week 4 we should have a pretty good idea of how this season is going to go as far as Jackson's performance is concerned.
    At about that point we should also have a fairly good idea of what his relative worth to the franchise is.

If he tears it up, comes out firing on all cylinders, and starts having QB ratings in the 90's or better, THEN let's start whispering about extensions.
    But if he continues to put in lackluster performances, why bother?
    Bollinger can do THAT.
    Hells bells, I can do that.

Contract extension?
    In the words of Stephan A. Smith...."Oh, pstop it!!"

Caine
    LOL.
    Your on a roll this morning.

Here's what I said a few pages back.

And they better know by the middle of this season if he is the long term answer.
    Hell, most casual fans will be able to see how much he has progressed by at least game 2 or 3.
    Just one.
    Your right, I can't, however, I can list 8 that he didn't loose for us right along with the 2 that he did loose for us.

Truth of the matter is that his agent will come a calling and it will be interesting to watch how Bryzcheapski handles this one, not to mention the fans.
    So he gets an extension based on the fact that he hasn't accomplished anything other than like you said...........nothing.
    The only highlights of his 2 year career are not losing games?
    I mean we can disagree about whether the man becomes a serviceable starter in the NFL, but he's not going to make anything more than back-up money unless his level of play makes a HUGE leap.
    You seem to really dislike the guy.
    All he has done is learn on the field in front of our eyes instead of carrying a clip board.
    He hasn't buckled under pressure and become a nut case like some thought he would.
    He had a few bad games like most believed he would and he has shown flashes but to say he hasn't shown "Nothing" is a bit of a reach.

He's shown that he is a kid that wasn't NFL ready, is a willing student, plays hard and learns at a quicker pace than most thought and if push comes to shove, hasn't done all that bad considering his background and experience.

Regardless, he is gonna get paid and it isn't for "backup" money.
    Only time will tell.
    I suspect this thread will get dredged up within a twelve month window and we will see who was right and who gets one of these.....

My guess would be that there are gonna be alot of people that will be putting thier bibs on this year.

;D
    I don't hate him Mar, I just keep pointing out that he's accomplished LESS than such QBs as Quincy Carter and company and unless he steps up he's not going to make anything other than backup money.
    Show me, show me what he's done that will make him more of a commodity than Quincy Carter?
    Heck I believe he's only going to be a restricted free agent anyways so we can just put the big tag on him and get a 1st and a 3rd like all the teams that lined up for Derek Anderson after having a good year.

Indeed my friend there is going to be more crow then we'll know what to do with by the end of this season.
    And I have a feeling one way or another T-Jack will the "prized example" of one side or the other.
    Only time will tell who's backing the right horse.
    LOL, you noticed how I left that as an open door item. ;D
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

"Schutz" wrote:

Just wanted to clear this up.
    As far as I can tell, Tarvaris will not be eligible to be a restricted free agent because he will have four accrued seasons when his contract expires.
    Here's an excert from a Lions page (link):

Q -- What is the difference between a restricted free agent and an unrestricted free agent?

A -- Players become restricted free agents when they complete three accrued seasons and their contract expires.
    Unrestricted free agents have completed four or more accrued seasons with an expired contract.

Q -- What constitutes an "accrued season?"

A -- Six or more regular-season games on a club's active/inactive, reserved-injured or "physically unable to perform" lists.
    Players are almost never extended if they are going to become a restricted free agent, because it's such a deal for the team in terms of cost and flexibility.
    When the age of the Vikings came to a close, they must have sensed it. Probably, they gathered together one evening, slapped each other on the back and said, "Hey, good job." - Jack Handey [Deep Thoughts]

"Overlord" wrote:
    "Schutz" wrote:

Just wanted to clear this up.
    As far as I can tell, Tarvaris will not be eligible to be a restricted free agent because he will have four accrued seasons when his contract expires.
    Here's an excert from a Lions page (link):

Q -- What is the difference between a restricted free agent and an unrestricted free agent?

A -- Players become restricted free agents when they complete three accrued seasons and their contract expires.
    Unrestricted free agents have completed four or more accrued seasons with an expired contract.

Q -- What constitutes an "accrued season?"

A -- Six or more regular-season games on a club's active/inactive, reserved-injured or "physically unable to perform" lists.
    Players are almost never extended if they are going to become a restricted free agent, because it's such a deal for the team in terms of cost and flexibility.
    Very interesting my friend.
    Thanks.

ThorSPL is offline Team Alumni

I liked the "faith" response.... it made me laugh.

I wanted to come up with this grand post, but basically it comes down to this:

Our belief in T-Jack is based on faith with limited actual data to go on...
    We are expected to have "faith" in T-Jack's development.
    Therefore, all real fans should have faith, as we all want to win.
    Religious people also should have faith.
    Religous people should believe in "a" God (choose your God, not being picky)
    Therefore, if you believe in a God, you should believe in T-Jack if you are a Vikings fan.

[/B]So, if you believe in a God, you should believe in T-Jack.[/B]

I know there are holes in my theory, but I think it's a winner.

***for the record, I DO support T-Jack***

Trust me, I'm a doctor.

www.twitter.com/ThorSPL

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789