Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast
    VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Re: Official Game 8 Thoughts and Observations

Really nice win, I feel alot better with these then the likes of Detriot and New Orleans.

It was good to see Madeu Williams get back, he's a very solid player, as I did more research on him from the Bengal Websites I was getting the feeling we were getting a really good player when healthy. His INT was a thing of beauty while being a solid hitter and tackler. Sidney Rice got back in the action some, that was nice to see. Berrian is offically a Beast and was as open as anyone on the Shancoe TD which drew the Safety to that side. Jared Allen was great all day, Chad Greenway did some really good things also. Kluwe had an awesome day and the specail teams coverage looked really good, Tyrell Johnson helps this unit alot, he adds great speed.

Ryan Cook continues to struggle and has his hands full next week also. Griffin seems to continue his string of getting burned but its very hard to defend that one TD that got passed him. Sharper is not looking all that great but did make a few plays today. Chuck Gordon blew some coverages and didn't have his best day.

My patients is growing thin with this scheme as we seem to continuelly get picked apart in our zone defense, which is very frustrating, overall though we only gave up 14 points on defense and did really well with the pass rush.

Next week is a great challenge for us, the Packers really gave the Titans a battle and its a very important game for the future of the season, we will need all phases to step foward like they did today.

PurplePeopleEaters is offline Jersey Retired

"i_bleed_purple" wrote:
    after 8 weeks, I still think and observe that Griffin sucks.
    Other than that, if anyone thinks Allen is still overrated, they need to open their eyes and watch him play.
    Even if he doesn't get a sack, he still is in the qb's face, causing him to hurry.
    I thought Cedric played a lot better today than in the past few weeks. Remember, he was faced with the daunting task of covering Andre Johnson all day. I remember at one point the camera crew showed how Andre was shut down in the first half and it really showed how well Griffin played in coverage on a few of those downs. Was he perfect? Not in any way. I would love to see us pick up a shutdown corner in the offseason to go opposite Winfield.

Shiancoe picked up another TD this week. He's really coming along despite being shut down most of the day. That one third down drop was rough too but that looked like a poor pass by gus on the replay.

Bernard Berrian.. what a play on that catch, spin and run. I might get blasted for this, but that was very Moss-esque.

Welcome back Madieu Williams. Please continue to remind us why we spent so much money on you. Great hit at the end of the half and nice pick in the red zone (although a lot of that can be attributed to the bad pass by Rosenfels).

Adrian looked like he was having a sub par day until, whaddya know, he turns it on in the 4th, spinning out of tackles, sprinting through holes for another 100 yard day. Thank you fantasy gods.

Frerotte is better than Jackson.

Jared Allen is looking to be worth the money.

Ray Edwards is one sack closer to that record!
    :

CCthebest is offline Hall of Famer

This was a good game, one of the best in a while.

We played one of the best offesenes and outscored them.

The D was solid, other then Griffin. Gordon has to be better doesnt he?

ST was even good, although it would be nice to have a kicker be able to kicl it in the enszone every once in a while.

We are going to miss the Williams, they will double Allen every play they are gone.

Our LBs really really suck in coverage. We made Daniels look like a HoF TE today.

VikingsTw is offline Jersey Retired

Did anyone else think the crowd was extremely week coming into the second half? The entire energy of the building was mute and seemed to translate to the players as we allowed a score on the first drive, much like the Detriot game. They got much better though as things got closer in terms of the score.

PurplePowerPunch is offline Pro-Bowler

Gus got some stuff done today, game ball to him. AD finsh them in the 4th, he get stronger as the game goes on. Good win today Vikes! Let's keep it going against the Pack next week!

ALL DAY!!!

PurpleMafia is offline Coordinator

How did Jared Allen not get credit for that last sack? It went to K-Williams, but I thought it was for sure going to Allen. At most, I though Kevin deserved a half sack. But he got credit for the whole thing. Very confused on that one.
    Retired 12/21/08

COJOMAY is offline Jersey Retired

Seems our offensive line wore them down the last part of the game and we were able to reel off some good runs. Prior to that I was screaming at the TV "QUIT RUNNING SO MUCH!" Glad I'm not the coach.
    Allen looked great and Williams played excellent for starting the first game.
    I wish Chicago would have lost but Green Bay did so we'll just take it one game at a time.
    Kentucky Vikes Fan

When you require nothing, you get nothing; when you expect nothing, you will find nothing; when you embrace nothing, all you will have is nothing.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

This may have been the most complete game of the Childress era. They finally were taking shots into the endzone while in the red zone and it paid off with 2 passing TD's. We also were aggressive. To open the game with that play to Berrian really set the tone and set the defense back, which opened everything else up. That is what we have been missing in the KAO.

I was actually surprised to look at the final stats and see Gus with under 190 passing yards but the 3 TD's was great to see.

The defense looked overall solid and the ST's didn't fuck anything up.

Hats off to the staff. It looks like they finally out-prepared the opposing coaches. Great job.

Caine is offline Jersey Retired

Vikings played closer to their potential today and beat a team they should have.
    While I'm pleased with the win, I'm a bit concerned by the fact that they almost let Texas back in it.
    The secondary has to get tougher....and the D-coordinator has to get a little creative.

Offensively, nice to see some shots downfield.
    Gus had a couple misfires, but we expect that from Gus.

You know, if we saw THIS Viking offense every week, I - and most others - would be less inclined to call for Chiller's head.
    And, ironically enough, the acid test is NEXT WEEK when the Packtards roll into town.
    If Chiller can't get it done this time, he may as well pack his bags.

There is not a team on the schedule that a well coached and properly schemed Viking team cannot beat - and that includes the Giants.
    Conversely, there isn't a team on the schedule that has a worse coach than we do.

There's a lot to be decided yet.....Chiller's got his work cut out for him...

...now if only he could get Bevell to color inside the lines on the playbooks....

Caine

Big C is offline Coordinator

Pros:
    1. Hats off to Special Teams. They played really well and bottled up an explosive returner.
    2. AP was playing his natural game in the 4th quarter. He was making his moves at full speed and playing like he did before the injury last year. He was so fired up after that drive. It must have been liberating to let the natural running style loose.
    3. Few penalities.
    4. We actually ran the ball on 3rd and short instead of calling a 30 yard go route. HUGE difference maker.
    5. The front 7 is playing well despite losing EJ for the season. Nappie is playing nicely. Major pressure on the QBs. Allen is starting to make a difference.
    6. Tahi actually caught the ball. I honestly don't know why we put this guy on the field. He can't block and he can't catch. I almost fell off my chair when he caught the ball today.
    7. Nice to see Rice! Madiue Williams played much better than I expected.
    8. Chestor Taylor is a frickin play maker. He should run the ball more often. He is the perfect foil for AP and has this smoothness to him that lets him squeeze through smaller gaps.
    9. I was happy to see Wyrms, Evans and Robison get more reps today in anticipation of a Williams suspension. Smart coaching by Childress.
    10. Speaking of Robison, did you see him vault over the OT?!!

Cons:
    1. Our zone defense is driving me nuts! I understand we were playing it to keep the ball away from Johnson but we had WRs (and that damn TE) wide open way too many times.
    2. Our WRs need to make the difficult catches. They dropped way too many imperfect passes today, whereas the Texans caught everything.
    3. I love Andrae Allison, but I believe today was his THIRD offensive pass interference penalty of the year!
    Halo 4. Start another fight.

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 1234 12 ... LastLast