Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    Perhaps Ponder hasn't grasped the playbook yet or just can't handle the more difficult plays other than the vanilla ones.
    I do not watch Ponder in practice, so I do not know what he can grasp. I do know that he does not get deep into his progressions, and he gets rattled when under pressure. His passes to players moving laterally are inconsistent. His motion is slow, and that means the ball gets out slowly and DBs get a jump when looking in. Ponder looks down receivers, misses too many sideline passes, and airs out receivers. I just cannot see how the players could rally around him at this point.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    I'm not the biggest fan of Musgrave's as I have seen him call some questionable plays like constantly trying to pound AD up the middle, but I don't think he's as much at fault as people say he is.

You have to ask yourself, what type of plays is Ponder capable of executing successfully on a consistent basis? Which plays are higher risk for Ponder that he doesn't execute successfully on a consistent basis?

When you build your team around pounding the ball & choose OLineman who are good to great at run blocking but are mediocre (see Loadholt) to average at pass blocking, you are limited as to what kind of plays you can run with a QB like Ponder who has limited abilities.

On almost any given pass play, the QB has the option to throw to more than one receiver who are at varying depths on the field. Ponder tends to often choose the safer, closest receiver rather than take a higher risk throw down field. That was pretty evident in that last drive where we had to go 70 yards in 51sdeconds. 4 of the first 5 plays in that drive were short dumps to Rudolph (4 & 7 yards) & AD (4 & 7 yards). I have a hard time believing that those were the primary targets called by Musgrave considering the time on the clock & the distance we needed to go.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

bleedpurple is online now Ring of Fame
    I'm not the biggest fan of Musgrave's as I have seen him call some questionable plays like constantly trying to pound AD up the middle, but I don't think he's as much at fault as people say he is.

You have to ask yourself, what type of plays is Ponder capable of executing successfully on a consistent basis? Which plays are higher risk for Ponder that he doesn't execute successfully on a consistent basis?

When you build your team around pounding the ball & choose OLineman who are good to great at run blocking but are mediocre (see Loadholt) to average at pass blocking, you are limited as to what kind of plays you can run with a QB like Ponder who has limited abilities.

On almost any given pass play, the QB has the option to throw to more than one receiver who are at varying depths on the field. Ponder tends to often choose the safer, closest receiver rather than take a higher risk throw down field. That was pretty evident in that last drive where we had to go 70 yards in 51sdeconds. 4 of the first 5 plays in that drive were short dumps to Rudolph (4 & 7 yards) & AD (4 & 7 yards). I have a hard time believing that those were the primary targets called by Musgrave considering the time on the clock & the distance we needed to go.
    REALLY??? Did you see the one drive where he called 3 roll out's to the right... once he called it on back to back plays.... People complained he does too many roll outs to the left, then this week he calls about 6 to the right in the same game...

Additionally, when toby is in the game, it's pretty much a no brainer we are going to pass... The personnel packages are just as mind boggling as AP doesnt really play on 3rd downs, the most critical down, and he takes greg jennings, our $10mil receiver out in the red zone for Joe Webb and Jarius wright... give me a break... this dude need to go!!...

He can't even get our #1 draft pick on the field, who by far is our biggest playmaker on the team next to AP...

purplehelmut is offline Pro-Bowler
    You can simply watch other teams and figure out Musgrave is unqualified for the job. WTF is up with all these roll-outs straight into a pass rush? Lousy OC and lousy QB equals lousy offense. Saw that in Football for Dummies. Musgrave needs to find the second volume- Football for Blithering Idiots.

HellorHighWater is offline Waterboy
    So, normally just read........but I had to join the website, because MUSGRAVE SUCKS SO MUCH!!!!!!.
    What a worthless excuse for a coach. Frazier, it's time. You will be judged very sorely is you don't do something with Musgrave, and unfortunately, you will get the ax too.
    The secondary is not playing well. The offense is terrible, and the o-line is just a bad.
    And for the love of God, can someone please tell me what value Charlie Johnson serves? Next to King Dunlap, he may the be the worst OLineman in the game.

Sorry, the short answer is YES, FIRE MUSGRAVE.

C Mac D is offline Posting to P'own
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    REALLY??? Did you see the one drive where he called 3 roll out's to the right... once he called it on back to back plays.... People complained he does too many roll outs to the left, then this week he calls about 6 to the right in the same game...

Additionally, when toby is in the game, it's pretty much a no brainer we are going to pass... The personnel packages are just as mind boggling as AP doesnt really play on 3rd downs, the most critical down, and he takes greg jennings, our $10mil receiver out in the red zone for Joe Webb and Jarius wright... give me a break... this dude need to go!!...

He can't even get our #1 draft pick on the field, who by far is our biggest playmaker on the team next to AP...
    Really liked this post, especially the bold section. Musgrave's sub packages are absolutely moronic... EVERYONE is able to queue on what we're trying to do offensively.

He really has to be fired, just don't think Frazier is smart enough to realize that.
    Last edited by C Mac D; 09-23-2013 at 03:03 PM.
    Disclaimer: I'm an idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by C Mac D View Post
    Really liked this post, especially the bold section. Musgrave's sub packages are absolutely moronic... EVERYONE is able to queue on what we're trying to do offensively.

He really has to be fired, just don't think Frazier is smart enough to realize that.
    Everyone has been able to primarily cue in on what we were doing since AD got here, That didn't change with the OC, When Chester Taylor was in, it was a high % chance we were passing. AD can't pass block very well so when he's not in, odds are it's a pass.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedpurple View Post
    Yes I did. Did you also hear the announcer commenting on how rolling to the right was one of Ponder's strengths were he's had good success passing the ball?

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame
    Yes I did. Did you also hear the announcer commenting on how rolling to the right was one of Ponder's strengths were he's had good success passing the ball?
    Rolling to his right is also where he had the tendency to throw back across his body and ended up throwing picks ......bet the announcer didn't mention that and if it was Brian Billick doing the color I'd take it with a grain of salt cause I've noticed in the last few games he's done he has a habit of get guys names wrong and a few other little slips

bleedpurple is online now Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by purplehelmut View Post
    You can simply watch other teams and figure out Musgrave is unqualified for the job. WTF is up with all these roll-outs straight into a pass rush? Lousy OC and lousy QB equals lousy offense. Saw that in Football for Dummies. Musgrave needs to find the second volume- Football for Blithering Idiots.
    Sure!?? I also saw it on back to back plays and 3 times in the same drive (twice inside the 30)... It's called mixing it up no matter how successful he is at doing it... We know AP can run with success (atleast used to know that) but we didn't do it every play.. and the first two weeks he was rolling out to the left and we all know Ponder isn't good at doing that!..

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast