Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    thorshammer is offline Asst. Coach
    I still think the hold on Greenway on RGlll's late touchdown was a game deciding blown call. Pisses me off. I don't think the sky is falling but we sure were off of our game. I hope that when Simpson is back we can loosen up the opposing D's so that AD can get going. That's what was missing in the Deadskins game.

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by thorshammer View Post
    I still think the hold on Greenway on RGlll's late touchdown was a game deciding blown call. Pisses me off. I don't think the sky is falling but we sure were off of our game. I hope that when Simpson is back we can loosen up the opposing D's so that AD can get going. That's what was missing in the Deadskins game.
    If we had done our job on the field up to that point, one blown call couldn't have affected the game one way or the other.

Simpson being healthy should help our short game a bit, but I think we will see it more in Harvin and Rudolph. Unless AD gets back on his game, Simpson won't help. I hope his ankle is healed up by Sunday.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

tastywaves is online now Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ConnecticutViking View Post
    Sometimes I get killed for this, but is Ponder our future QB. Here is a list of starting QB's in either their first or second year. I may have missed some? Where would you rank Ponder? May not be fair because some of these guys were taken early, but not all.

Andrew Luck, Brandon Weeden, Ryan Tannehill, Russell Wilson, Robert Griffin III, Cam Newton, Jake Locker, Blane Gabbert, Andy Dalton, Christian Ponder
    Hey CV, my thoughts on Ponder are very similar to Snow's.

If I were to rank the QB's you listed by how I think they will pan out long term based on what I've seen today, I would take this stab at it.

1) Luck -- this guy just has too much going for him both physically and mentally.
    2) RG3 -- His legs are allowing him a lot of his early success, but his head and his arm will give him longevity.
    3) Cam -- Personally, I'm not sold on him long term, but can't refute his last year's success. He will probably fizzle out faster than the next two guys.
    4/5) Dalton/Ponder -- I see these guys as similar level QB's.

The rest I simply haven't seen enough to have much of an opinion on, but I wouldn't take any of them over Ponder if I was given the choice today.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by i_bleed_purple View Post
    I'd like to point out that the rookie qb starting his 6th game also leads the league in completion percentage. Yeah, he's a rookie, but with no tape on him, teams will take a while to learn to slow him down. Same with Luck, same with Newton last year. Been the same story for a long time now. He's a talented kid, and thank god we don't play any other teams with a qb like him. I'd take Tom brady any day over RGIII right now. We just aren't built to stop him. We bit all day on the play fakes, he turned nothing into something. He's just got the physical talent to do that.

What we're forgetting is Washington played a good game. It's not like we just shit the bed. We started alright, then slowed down. Washington was playing disciplined. Not letting Harvin get loose on the back end or underneath. Not letting AP explode, Getting turnovers and points. THey got behind, but rallied and won. GOod for them, we need to work on that.
    Going into that game Ponder & RGIII were pretty much neck & neck on completion %, so it's not like they had some huge advantage over us.

Let's not lose sight of the fact that Washington also has 3 losses & only 2 wins going into that game so apparently 3 of the 5 teams playing them, were apparently built in such a way that they did stop him despite having little tape on him.

We did take a shit on defense, IMO. We went from playing an "in your face smash mouth defense" a week ago, to giving huge cushions and allowing them the "underneath stuff" far too often in that game. RGIII took advantage of that underneath stuff all the way to the endzone.

Let's also not forget that while the Redskins did play a good game, it was 2 of our 3 turnovers that gave them an almost immediate 14 points.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post

Simpson being healthy should help our short game a bit, but I think we will see it more in Harvin and Rudolph. Unless AD gets back on his game, Simpson won't help. I hope his ankle is healed up by Sunday.
    AD definitely has to get back into the game. He hasn't scored a TD since week 1 of the season & that speed which used to leave defenders in the dust all the way to the endzone, now has slowed enough where defenders can catch up to him & drag him down from behind.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    If we had done our job on the field up to that point, one blown call couldn't have affected the game one way or the other.
    I believe it could have. Teams in the NFL, especially middle of the road teams, are evenly matched. One big play or one turnover can decide the game. One big call or non-call can as well.

It is valid to state, "If the Vikings had a 21 point lead at the time, they would not have had to worry too much about a blown call," but to believe they will be up by 21 points late in the game against an evenly matched team is wishful thinking. It is not going to happen often.

On the other hand, I agree that if the players and coaches had done their jobs on that play, then the gain could have been mitigated. I did not see much contain and or turning the runner to the inside on that play. I did not see good angles from safeties and linebackers either. It was a basic breakdown of fundamental defensive football.

Mark_The_Viking is offline Asst. Coach
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    I believe it could have. Teams in the NFL, especially middle of the road teams, are evenly matched. One big play or one turnover can decide the game. One big call or non-call can as well.

It is valid to state, "If the Vikings had a 21 point lead at the time, they would not have had to worry too much about a blown call," but to believe they will be up by 21 points late in the game against an evenly matched team is wishful thinking. It is not going to happen often.

On the other hand, I agree that if the players and coaches had done their jobs on that play, then the gain could have been mitigated. I did not see much contain and or turning the runner to the inside on that play. I did not see good angles from safeties and linebackers either. It was a basic breakdown of fundamental defensive football.
    Surely if we had scored a touchdown on our first three possessions then a blown call wouldn't have mattered either. We get calls they get calls.

21 points up in the 1st quarter and they have to change their game plan and RGIII either has to commit every time and we nail him or he finds another outlet.
    Purple till i die

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post

Yeah, there was a lot of mistakes on the run. Robinson (who I am a big fan of) completely bit on RGIII's inside juke, and he let him get to the outside. Once he was running on the sideline nobody had the angle to catch him.

Hopefully it is a teaching moment for our young secondary.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Yeah, there was a lot of mistakes on the run. Robinson (who I am a big fan of) completely bit on RGIII's inside juke, and he let him get to the outside. Once he was running on the sideline nobody had the angle to catch him.
    To be fair, Robinson did have a blocker on him, but he should know that it is his job to maintain position to turn the runner inside rather than go for an inside juke many yards downfield.

Let us hope so for players and coaches as well.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

There was a blatant hold on Everson that turned him and prevented him from making the tackle at the LOS that would have negated the play.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast