Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    NDVikingFan66 is offline Team Alumni
    I hate to say this, but I am beginning to think we should consider bringing in Plax. Deep threat and red zone target.

VKG4LFE is offline Jersey Retired Tetris Champion, Monkey GO Happy 4 Champion
    Not a bad idea NDvikingfan, we need something to keep those safeties out of the box. On another note, thank God we aren't going to play another QB as dynamic as RG3, at least movement wise.

I get the most pissed off looks from people with my VKG 4 LFE Wisconsin license plate, and I LOVE IT!!

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by AngloVike View Post
    Whether people like it or not we are still a young team and so will make mistakes that goes with that territory. The most obvious issue was the absence of Simpson which took away any deep threat we may have had - the other WRs currently on the field are average at best and so meant the 'skins could almost discard defending deeply.
    Ponder made a couple of errors but did his best to pull us back, but given our first three possessions only yielded FGs then it was always going to be hard. I'm sorry we lost but, IMO, we played better than the score suggests.
    While we are young & a young team will make mistakes, the "we're young" excuse only goes so far. Ponder's in his 2nd year while we got torched by a rookie QB who was starting his 6th game, Most of our playmakers have been around long enough, with only a few rookie starters. We can't be using the "young" angle on players like AD, Harvin, JA, Winfield, Robison, K-Will, Winfield, Greenway, Henderson, Jenkins, Aromashodu, Johnson, etc.

We saw good play out of our rookies & young players before, so it's not unreasonable to believe they can't play at that level for more than a couple of weeks. They also need to be put into the position to be able to succeed. That's where coaching, their game plan & their ability to get the team prepared for the game can shoulder some of the blame.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

NodakPaul is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    While we are young & a young team will make mistakes, the "we're young" excuse only goes so far. Ponder's in his 2nd year while we got torched by a rookie QB who was starting his 6th game, Most of our playmakers have been around long enough, with only a few rookie starters. We can't be using the "young" angle on players like AD, Harvin, JA, Winfield, Robison, K-Will, Winfield, Greenway, Henderson, Jenkins, Aromashodu, Johnson, etc.

We saw good play out of our rookies & young players before, so it's not unreasonable to believe they can't play at that level for more than a couple of weeks. They also need to be put into the position to be able to succeed. That's where coaching, their game plan & their ability to get the team prepared for the game can shoulder some of the blame.
    You are right that being a young team doesn't excuse the loss. It is a factor in it though, especially when we a lot of players who are either in their first or second year or starting at a new position. It is a team effort, and young players definitely affect the whole team. Even our coaching staff can be considered young by NFL standards, and yes - they made some mistakes too. I am disappointed in the mistakes, but not surprised by them. They will iron those mistakes out as time goes on.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

Minniman is offline Hall of Famer
    Quote Originally Posted by digital420 View Post
    first off.. heartbreaking loss. i've read a lot of BS around (and in this thread), people need to be reminded that we are, one of the youngest teams, rebuilding, under new coaching staff, coming off a 3 win season, and every expert in the world picked the vikes to finish in the bottom 5 of the nfl.
    The Vikings played poorly but were 4-2 to start the Childress regime. They ended up 6-10. The Vikings have played through the easy part of the schedule, on paper, and they have shown they are not the worst team in the NFL, but beyond that, they have shown little else different from last season.

as fans, sure we get over hyped, read story-lines, react to each others posts.. but that does not change the fact that there is a LOT of work to be done for the vikes to be a consistent force in the nfl.
    I agree. There is much to be done.

so the redskins... man. i was stocked in the first qtr.. dad was laughing the world was in sync. AP was running, PH was receiving, and Ponder was working well. then we hit the RZ.. i think we're still trying to find some identity there, as it seems we don't have a set plan of attack. I expect this and penalties to be a big focus for the coaches this week. if we converted 1 or 2 of those 3 fg's into td's.. this game woulda been so much different.
    I agree. The Vikings just do not get it when it comes to statistics. They push low percentage plays in the redzone so often that I have to believe Musgrave does not understand why statistics and sabermetrics are so valuable in play calling and game analysis.

Playing it safe in the redzone belies the fact that a touchdown with the kick is worth more than two field goals. A team that scores only TDs in the redzone at a low 50% rate are better off than teams that score only field goals at a 100% rate. Playing it safe is to keep from losing the three points in hand is a loser's bet. There are times when the field goal try is a must, but playing in fear for the potential loss of a field goal does not make statistical sense.

RGIII ... that cocky attitude along with the ref's babying him.. (ie Henderson's roughing the qb?) I've seen farts push people more.. (yes there was a lot of bad ref calls, but I've said it before and i stand by it. refs do not win/loose games.. if you put yourself in that position, you deserve it).
    Refs can and do win and lose games. If they did not, who would really have cared about the officials going out on strike. With two evenly matched teams, the refs can make all of the difference in a game. They certainly did in the Vikings/Saints NFCC game.

... hit the qb a lot more then we did
    I would have used a modified 46 defense with him. Overload, run-blitz, and stuff the hot receiver at the line. Sitting back is not a good defense against a mobile quarterback unless the defense likes to see five yard gains on the ground time and time again.

Ponder ... I seemed to notice that in the RZ ponder is missing because he focus's on one receiver. i thought i saw a few open receivers, @ least more open then his target.
    I did see ponder go through his progressions to the third receiver a few times against Washington. The problem is that the receivers have easy routes to cover and are not threats to take it deep. I wonder how much Ponder loses on accuracy when throwing the deep ball, and I suspect defensive coordinators do to. Expect to see eight or more defenders in the box or playing short until the Vikings prove they can go deep. Expect more blitzes too because the Vikings do not know how to max protect.

we desperately need an outside receiver, and RZ target besides PH and Rudy.. by the way.. how often do you see Rudy drop passes? gonna happen, no man can catch 100% of the time.
    How the Vikings can field a team with one receiver that would not be bench material on most other teams is beyond me. Then again, some of the routes these guys are given to run are just sad to watch. Having a receiver go to a short spot in the flats and stop when the defense is playing up is a waste of a player. Yeah, Percy Harvin can make the defender miss, but it is a low percentage pattern to be sure.
    Last edited by Minniman; 10-17-2012 at 08:36 AM.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    I did see ponder go through his progressions to the third receiver a few times against Washington. The problem is that the receivers have easy routes to cover and are not threats to take it deep. I wonder how much Ponder loses on accuracy when throwing the deep ball, and I suspect defensive coordinators do to. Expect to see eight or more defenders in the box or playing short until the Vikings prove they can go deep. Expect more blitzes too because the Vikings do not know how to max protect.

How the Vikings can field a team with one receiver that would not be bench material on most other teams is beyond me.
    But which came first, the chicken or the egg? IF we had a WR who could run a downfield route, I think we might run that route more...a true no.1 and/or deep-threat WR is still our biggest gaping hole. We start hitting some long passes, and everybody else will look even better as space starts opening up for our underneath routes. IF we don't find some sort of deep action, we will start seeing even more of the same lane clogging zone blitz that has been our downfall for years.

The defense actually started out really good, weren't we up 9-0, ie 3 stops on their first 3 drives? When the offense regularly stalls out, the defense spends more time on the field, and you give a guy like RG3 enough oppurtunities, eventually, one is going to break it big. I'm not saying they don't shoulder any of the blame, just that their performance is obviously effected by the rest of the teams.
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Minniman View Post
    The Vikings played poorly but were 4-2 to start the Childress regime. They ended up 6-10.
    lol. Oh sure you HAD to bring that up. pbbbfffftttt!

I thought about that a couple of weeks ago, but I was keeping quiet so I didn't pour fuel on the negative nancy fires. Although to be fair, that is a stat that you can put both ways. We've seen teams start 4-2 and end up 14-2. We've also seen teams start 4-2 and end up 4-12. But the MAJORITY of teams that start 4-2 finish the season with a winning record, which is what I am hoping for this year. Note, I have changed my season expectation from 6-10 at the beginning of the season to 9-7. It may sound crazy, but we only have to win half of the remaining games to do it, and I think it may be possible.
    Zeus wrote:
    When are you going to realize that picking out the 20 bad throws this year and ignoring the 300 good ones does not make your point?

=Z=

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    I'd like to point out that the rookie qb starting his 6th game also leads the league in completion percentage. Yeah, he's a rookie, but with no tape on him, teams will take a while to learn to slow him down. Same with Luck, same with Newton last year. Been the same story for a long time now. He's a talented kid, and thank god we don't play any other teams with a qb like him. I'd take Tom brady any day over RGIII right now. We just aren't built to stop him. We bit all day on the play fakes, he turned nothing into something. He's just got the physical talent to do that.
    What we're forgetting is Washington played a good game. It's not like we just shit the bed. We started alright, then slowed down. Washington was playing disciplined. Not letting Harvin get loose on the back end or underneath. Not letting AP explode, Getting turnovers and points. THey got behind, but rallied and won. GOod for them, we need to work on that.

mountainviking is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post
    lol. Oh sure you HAD to bring that up. pbbbfffftttt!

I thought about that a couple of weeks ago, but I was keeping quiet so I didn't pour fuel on the negative nancy fires. Although to be fair, that is a stat that you can put both ways. We've seen teams start 4-2 and end up 14-2. We've also seen teams start 4-2 and end up 4-12. But the MAJORITY of teams that start 4-2 finish the season with a winning record, which is what I am hoping for this year. Note, I have changed my season expectation from 6-10 at the beginning of the season to 9-7. It may sound crazy, but we only have to win half of the remaining games to do it, and I think it may be possible.
    I'd love to see us end up with a winning record! BUT, I also won't mind if we stop just short at 7-9. Thing is, you see, 7-9 puts us at pick 11 or 12ish, while 9-7 likely brings us up into the 20s!!

I don't think we're quite there as a playoff team, but closer than advertised, and that one more really good draft to fill the few remaining holes and upgrade depth just might put us over the top, or at least make us a legit playoff contender next season.

SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    Control the line, control the time, and give your D a chance to shine!!

"Balance it on end and thats the third side of the coin!!" -wookiefoot

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mountainviking View Post
    I'd love to see us end up with a winning record! BUT, I also won't mind if we stop just short at 7-9. Thing is, you see, 7-9 puts us at pick 11 or 12ish, while 9-7 likely brings us up into the 20s!!

I don't think we're quite there as a playoff team, but closer than advertised, and that one more really good draft to fill the few remaining holes and upgrade depth just might put us over the top, or at least make us a legit playoff contender next season.

SKOL VIKINGS!!!
    No arguments here!
    Zeus wrote:

=Z=

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast