Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Caine is offline Jersey Retired
    As I stated earlier, the glaring area this game highlighted AGAIN was the complete lack of receivers. Our outside guys were in 1-1 coverage all night long...and couldn't get open. That allowed Washington to load up on AP and put pressure on Ponder.

We DESPERATELY need outside WR help. We need to force Defenses to play back a bit for fear of the deep ball torching them. That will allow Harvin to destroy them from the slot, and Peterson to torment them in the 2nd/3rd level.

It will also allow Ponder to show us what he's truly made of.

Caine

iowa is offline Rookie
    We got beat by a freakish athlete, a bigger, faster, smarter version of Mike Vick, he's going to do that to a lot of teams until he gets beat down.We'll have better luck next week chasing the likes of Kevin Kolb.
    None

lakehubertviking is offline Asst. Coach
    What's the official rule on the Horse Collar tackle?

It seemed like Smith got all jersey and I was under the impression it was only called if you got your hands inside the pads. I tried downloading the 2012 rules book and searching for "Horse", but it only gives the penalty code "HC" and no definition. Maybe I just took it too literally when hearing announcers say it was pulling a guy down by the pads.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ranger View Post
    Yeah, let's trade the best back in the nfl. That should really help us out. Let's trade Percy and Allen, too.
    Alright, I gotta call you out there. No way is he the best back in football. He doesn't produce like he used to. He's still a top back, but Ray Rice, Arian Foster, and maybe even Lesean McCoy are all as good if not better than AP. His numbers are very pedestrian this year and he's virtually useless in the passing game. His running isn't good enough to cover up his other deficiencies anymore. That said, I still love him and wouldn't want to trade him (even though I would've traded him before last year) because we wouldn't be able to get good value for him.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambro987 View Post
    Someone did it to us with Hershal Walker...it's payback time.
    What the hell kind of trade do you think we'd be able to pull off, especially if he sucks as much as you're saying?
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by lakehubertviking View Post
    What's the official rule on the Horse Collar tackle?

It seemed like Smith got all jersey and I was under the impression it was only called if you got your hands inside the pads. I tried downloading the 2012 rules book and searching for "Horse", but it only gives the penalty code "HC" and no definition. Maybe I just took it too literally when hearing announcers say it was pulling a guy down by the pads.
    Horse-collar tackle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The horse-collar tackle is an American football maneuver in which a defender tackles another player by grabbing the back-inside of an opponent's shoulder pads. The technique is most closely associated with Pro Bowl safety Roy Williams. This kind of tackle was banned from the NFL during the 2005 offseason; the rule forbidding it is often referred to in the press as "The Roy Williams Rule."[1] The rule was expanded to include the back of the jersey collar in 2006. The rule, with modifications, was adopted in college and high school football in 2008 and 2009, respectively.

jmcdon00 is offline Jersey Retired Snake Champion, Moto Trial Fest 2: Mountain Pack Champion, LL City Truck 2 Champion, Arithmetic sequence Champion, Troops Tower Defense Champion
    Not too concerned, I didn't expect to go 15-1. If we lose at home to Arizona then I'll be concerned.
    Ponder made a few mistakes, he's a young QB and those things are going to happen. I was encouraged by the fact that he didn't implode and made some big plays down the stretch.

We allowed RG3 to make some huge plays with his legs, he's a great young talent those things are going to happen. Our defense did a good job covering recievers, but too often RG3 was able to avoid the rusher and either find a reciever or take off running. The good news is we don't face another Qb like RG3 again this season.
    We held Morris to his lowest total yards(47) and lowest yards per attempt of the season(2.9).

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    right...

first off.. heartbreaking loss. i've read a lot of BS around (and in this thread), people need to be reminded that we are, one of the youngest teams, rebuilding, under new coaching staff, coming off a 3 win season, and every expert in the world picked the vikes to finish in the bottom 5 of the nfl.

as fans, sure we get over hyped, read story-lines, react to each others posts.. but that does not change the fact that there is a LOT of work to be done for the vikes to be a consistent force in the nfl.

so the redskins... man. i was stocked in the first qtr.. dad was laughing the world was in sync. AP was running, PH was receiving, and Ponder was working well. then we hit the RZ.. i think we're still trying to find some identity there, as it seems we don't have a set plan of attack. I expect this and penalties to be a big focus for the coaches this week. if we converted 1 or 2 of those 3 fg's into td's.. this game woulda been so much different.

the Option.. holy #$%#$.. RGIII annoying as he is, and there were times i wanted to $!#% $ %#$ %!%$ him.. but that is talent. he did well as a passer, runner, and faking the hand offs. he froze our lbr's, held for the most part his cool. but for me as a sports icon, he needs to learn when to flash his smile, and when to be a good sport. that cocky attitude along with the ref's babying him.. (ie hendersons ruffing the qb?) i've seen farts push people more.. (yes there was a lot of bad ref calls, but i've said it before and i stand by it. refs do not win/loose games.. if you put yourself in that position, you deserve it). back to the option.. this will give DC's headaches.. unless you
    1. get ahead first and big
    2. hit the qb a lot more then we did

Ponder.. i havn't re-watched it but I seemed to notice that in the RZ ponder is missing because he focus's on one receiver. i thought i saw a few open receivers, @ least more open then his target. but hey.. i'm a fan watching on tv with replay.. he's standing there live action with 3 sec to decide who to throw too, and make the throw. i'll give it to ponder and the coaches, so far as a group they have my confidence still.

we desperately need an outside receiver, and RZ target besdies PH and Rudy.. by the way.. how often do you see Rudy drop passes? gonna happen, no man can catch 100% of the time.

Defence.. well we started great.. puckered out, then came back in the end.. just to.. let 1 by.. i'm still happy with the progress of unit as a whole, and can't wait to see them back into action in the dome.

some positives? Walsh.. didn't give them a chance on KR's.. was 100% fg..
    SPT actually did a very good job all in all. great coverage!
    the team never gave up.. even after the 75 yrd qb jaunt.. we never gave up!

you can only get better by finding your weakness, accepting it, and striving to overcome it. here's to hoping that the Vikes both players and coaches review this game, find those and work toward fixing them.

DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

ConnecticutViking is offline Pro-Bowler
    Lets get our expectations back in line. At the start of the season, nobody on this site had us pegged at 4-2. We have one good quality win (49ers) at home and 3 wins against teams that are meh (Lions, Jags, Titans). A loss to the Colts in OT (not a great team) on the road, a loss to RG3 on the road. This team is going to have growing pains, we have a lot of new guys in our secondary, a second year qb, a rb coming off of knee surgery, our deep threat was out and we played against a freak athlete that basically won the game on his own.

When you play against a running qb, it places pressure on your line to keep lanes, your lb to spy contain and cover the middle, and your secondary-to not break off to early to contain a broken run. We got caught too many times trying to do too much. We are a relatively young D, it's going to happen.
    Offensively, we had no deep threat, dinks and dunks. Got too conservative in the red zone early and I think we could have sent a message on the first drive by going for it on 4th and goal at the 2. Instead we opted for 3, which I guess is the right call, but on the road and knowing this was the first drive, I think we should have put the pop gun away and pulled out the dagger.

After 6 games...I am happy where we are. We could be 6-0 but quite frankly we could also be 2-4.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by Rambro987 View Post
    I'm overrating to the loss, because all the problems that plagued this team during the Childress era, are still prevalent in this team. As a matter of fact I feel like we are still in it. I hope I'm wrong, but until we get an overhaul from the Front office down to the coaching, we will continue to lick the boots of the Pukers and Bears.
    um... can i get whatever he is drinking/smoking/breathing?

really? you mean you havn't noticed a massive change in attitude? I guess you figured because the Vikes went 4 - 1 they should be 15-1 or it's a bust year? lets see..
    overhaul coaching.. right.. SlickRick is GM.. soley in control..
    NEW OC/DC
    Frazier is not chillywilly... in sooo many ways..

this team is rebuilding. they don't want to call it that. but it's the facts.
    it's rebuilding faster then anyone thought.. why? because we are soo lucky?????
    Slickrick, coaches, scouts.. all those guys you want fired they are the reason.

we lost to the stinkskins.. and to the colts. so what? realize something outside the box. these 2 teams have qb's that have VERY LITTLE on tape.. so while trying to figure out how they move here, or there. tell tale signs of a run vs pass, or even tendencies.. don't exist on tape. plays, concepts, and formations maybe you can get an idea on. but they are so new they don't even always have it down pat yet. does that mean we should loose? no but it means teams will have problems vs them.

one last off thread topic point.. how can we be licking the boots of teams below us in div standings.. or who we havn't played yet?

DiGiTaL

ps sorry guys, but this just.. was not for me to read without coffee..

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast