Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast
    rednorsk is offline Rookie
    Sounds like most people agree, our secondary and line backers are really bad!!!!!!!!
    None

Suick is offline Pro-Bowler
    Correct me if I'm wrong but our 2ndary has been bad to laughable for a couple of decades. For the life of me I don't undersatnd why the opposition isn't throwing it as soon as they step off the bus. Anyone remember Eric Kelly out of Kentucky............Kentucky? I guess the front office didn't watch much SEC games back then. KY got TORCHED every game by the likes of Florida and Tennesee, and LSU.

Winfield = great tackler......cant cover my momma.
    I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em.

tastywaves is offline Ring of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    It sounded to me when the changes were made that Frazier reports directly to Wilf. I would think and changes come directly from him and with Childress still cashing paychecks I am guessing nothing happens until he is only on the hook for 1 coach. After all, we are not in the race for the division and the stadium is passed. He more than likely feels he has the ability at this point to balance the books and clean up the contracts before he does anything.
    According to Siefert, Frazier does report directly to Wilf, however, Spielman may have significant input into his career path. This from when Spielman was appointed GM:

By all accounts, Spielman has acquired extensive authority — and not just a fancy title — with this move. Owner/president Mark Wilf said Spielman "will oversee all football-related activities and operations" and "all roster and personnel decisions" will be "in Rick's hands." That means Spielman will have final say over the draft, all player transactions and the composition of the 80- and 53-man rosters.
    The one check on Spielman's power is supervision of the coaching staff. He will make roster and player decisions once reserved for the head coach in the old structure, but coach Leslie Frazier will continue to report directly to owners Zygi and Mark Wilf. "Ownership will make that determination on the head coach," Spielman said. From everything I can tell, however, that's an issue of semantics. The Wilfs would be circumventing their apparent intent if they didn't listen to the advice of the man they've placed in charge of "all football-related activities." If Spielman wants to fire the head coach and/or hire a new one, I imagine the Wilfs will consent.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by tarkenton10 View Post
    Coach Frazier is horrible and the only reason he has this job is because Zygie is still paying off Childress. Some idiot gave him an extension and a boatload of money right before they fired him. Once we get Childress off the books YOU CAN BET they will look for a REAL head coach. The Chin maybe, anyone!?!?!?!
    We certainly agree there & we need to get rid of any residual Childress staff we might still have.

We have seen what Ponder can do in the last few minutes of a game, how about we try some of that a tad earlier, like say the first quarter.

Unlike some here, I wouldn't mind a defensive coach. I was really hoping they'd make Tomlin head coach & shit-can Childress. But we would then need a top-notch offensive coordinator. Someone with enough credentials that they could be a head coach.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound
    Quote Originally Posted by Marrdro View Post
    Lets be clear on one point.....We run the C2 not the T2 and there are distinct differences between the two.

One of which is what kind of MLB we use and how we use him.

Someone go find that thread I posted this summer on this very same subject so that we are all talking off the same sheet of music again. (for once).
    From what I understand, the only difference between the Tampa 2 & the Cover 2 is that in the T2 the MLB drops back into pass coverage if he reads "pass".

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

pack93z is offline Team Alumni
    Quote Originally Posted by NodakPaul View Post

Ponder continues to improve. He looked decent this game - not great, but not bad. 25/35 (71.4%) for 245 and 2 TDs. But there was one INT that was dropped, and he was pretty lucky on the first TD (that was fun to watch though). He needs to continue to improve if we are going to be contenders next year.
    I like the progression of this kid... frankly I thought it would take longer for him to settle in, with a team limited in talented targets for him to target, he has really begun to become a quality NFL QB. I thought the Vikes reached with him in the draft, I was wrong. Either that, or the Vikes are developing him nicely.. or a combination. He was green in college.. inconsistent.. looks like he is finding his stride.

Chazz is offline Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by Purple Floyd View Post
    How good has Detroit's defense held up the past 2 weeks against Bradford and Smith throwing against them? Looks to me like they need better DB's and not that war pig you speak of. And before the War Pig i would throw a franchise MLB in there.
    This

and it goes without saying we need to upgrade DBs, unfortunately we can't fill all our holes in one year.

digital420 is offline Team Alumni
    after reading 8 pages, letting my nerves settle, and re-watching some parts of the game..

1. Walsh = future.. the kids 100%, our KO is avg. inside the 20.. great work fixing this issue!!! (so far)

2. O weapons... we're 1 TE short of the Dynamo 2 TE spread.. when is that gonna start? hopefully soon.. Simpson will be coming in 2 weeks.. man o man do we need him!! PH is doing whatever he can, AD is well AD.. 8-9 men in the box and we can't get open wr's?????

3. stupid stupid Personal Fouls.. now i see a lot of QQ about the coaches on this.. why? sure they have to instruct DON:T do this.. DON't do that!! now if we come out vs SF and do the same.. THEN i'd say it's a coaching thing.. but players play.. players make the fouls.. maybe some of this is bad ref's.. maybe it's frustration.. maybe it's lack of self control.. if we give up 100+ yards to penalties again then yes something is wrong on the coaching end..

4. Ponder.. one of the biggest knocks on him last year was the forced passes, ints, and decision making.. so far 2/3 seem to be vastely improved where the 3rd is improving.. just slower.. i'll get back to him around week 10.. his read progression still is in a building stage.. i saw a few times where he had an open receiver but choose a different one. why? i'm not a qb.. i can't answer that..

6. WTF is prevent D that doesn't prevent? is it hte scheme.. players... coaching? who knows @ this point.. we're young, growing, and learning.. the D line got to luck, but had a hard time putting him down.. BR and JA both had paws on him to watch him avoid them.. and make the pass. there was a reason he was touted as once in a decade.. maybe we saw some flashes of that.. time will tell..

7. OL.. did a much better job then what we saw last year.. though ponder i thought went around and seems to always float to his right.. there were also some major holes for AD to hit.. i like this group so far, we gave a year to our old line to gel, and i think we're allready ahead of them.

8. coaching.. in and out onthis one.. we are building a team.. and it seems to be improving. who believed we'd be a challanger this year? Frazier, although has 2 things going for him.. low expectations.. and the backing of his team. there is obvious differences between what we have this year in just 2 games then what we had under chilly.. ie.. mid game changes, situational changes, and coaches listening to what players are seeing on the field. i don't think today i'd call Frazier one of the better football generals, but he is showing that he's a step up from where we were. his grades will come @ the end of hte season.. and probably through one more camp/season. SlickRick.. so far i like the team he is building. you cna't get 10 GREAT players in one draft.. it's a multi year rebuild and we're in the middle of it. my cousin has coached his sons football team for years, he's won 1 championship, he loves the game and enjoys teaching his kids the game. he mentioned to me the other day. a coach can only say something so many times.. can only show something so many times.. it's up to the players to learn, and execute.. and the coaches to help put them into a position to make their natural talents shine.. if i'm gonna knock anything so far on this staff (which we have a new DC, a very quiet OC.. and a coach that see's a silver lining in people showing up.. ) know your players.. know their strengths and weaknesses.. seems we're not there yet..

9. replacement refs.. there were calls for us, and against us.. missed, misread, to close to call.. but it's not just us..look around the NFL.. there is a reason these guys arn't PRO refs.. and reasons they shouldn't be..

10. for years the Vikes have made no name qb's, backups, and rookies look like pro bowlers.. this is nothing new.. and as i see now nothing that will change this.

rant off.. i need coffee..
    DiGiTaL

"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by pack93z View Post
    I like the progression of this kid... frankly I thought it would take longer for him to settle in, with a team limited in talented targets for him to target, he has really begun to become a quality NFL QB. I thought the Vikes reached with him in the draft, I was wrong. Either that, or the Vikes are developing him nicely.. or a combination. He was green in college.. inconsistent.. looks like he is finding his stride.
    Welcome back old friend. Nice to see your avatar and fine posting again.

As to your point.......

NFC North Week 2 Quarterback Report - NFC North Blog - ESPN

He is looking pretty good so far. I like that he has moved the team late in the first two games which resulted in points. 3 times if you count the over time drive.

Lets see what happens against the 49'rs D though.

On a side note.....Someone on here bitched because he didn't get to see him enough in the last meaningless preseason game. Guess it really didn't matter now did it.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!
    Quote Originally Posted by singersp View Post
    From what I understand, the only difference between the Tampa 2 & the Cover 2 is that in the T2 the MLB drops back into pass coverage if he reads "pass".
    and how far he drops....The other is how the DT's are used.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast