09-18-2012, 10:23 AM #71Rookie
- Join Date
- Dec 2010
Sounds like most people agree, our secondary and line backers are really bad!!!!!!!!None
09-18-2012, 10:54 AM #72
Correct me if I'm wrong but our 2ndary has been bad to laughable for a couple of decades. For the life of me I don't undersatnd why the opposition isn't throwing it as soon as they step off the bus. Anyone remember Eric Kelly out of Kentucky............Kentucky? I guess the front office didn't watch much SEC games back then. KY got TORCHED every game by the likes of Florida and Tennesee, and LSU.
Winfield = great tackler......cant cover my momma.I've been a Viking fan since I was just out of diapers, hopefully we get Super Bowl win before I go back in 'em.
09-18-2012, 10:58 AM #73
By all accounts, Spielman has acquired extensive authority — and not just a fancy title — with this move. Owner/president Mark Wilf said Spielman "will oversee all football-related activities and operations" and "all roster and personnel decisions" will be "in Rick's hands." That means Spielman will have final say over the draft, all player transactions and the composition of the 80- and 53-man rosters.
The one check on Spielman's power is supervision of the coaching staff. He will make roster and player decisions once reserved for the head coach in the old structure, but coach Leslie Frazier will continue to report directly to owners Zygi and Mark Wilf. "Ownership will make that determination on the head coach," Spielman said. From everything I can tell, however, that's an issue of semantics. The Wilfs would be circumventing their apparent intent if they didn't listen to the advice of the man they've placed in charge of "all football-related activities." If Spielman wants to fire the head coach and/or hire a new one, I imagine the Wilfs will consent.
09-18-2012, 07:08 PM #74
We have seen what Ponder can do in the last few minutes of a game, how about we try some of that a tad earlier, like say the first quarter.
Unlike some here, I wouldn't mind a defensive coach. I was really hoping they'd make Tomlin head coach & shit-can Childress. But we would then need a top-notch offensive coordinator. Someone with enough credentials that they could be a head coach.
"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"
09-18-2012, 08:20 PM #75
09-18-2012, 08:38 PM #76
09-18-2012, 10:43 PM #77Coordinator
- Join Date
- Jan 2008
09-19-2012, 05:45 AM #78
after reading 8 pages, letting my nerves settle, and re-watching some parts of the game..
1. Walsh = future.. the kids 100%, our KO is avg. inside the 20.. great work fixing this issue!!! (so far)
2. O weapons... we're 1 TE short of the Dynamo 2 TE spread.. when is that gonna start? hopefully soon.. Simpson will be coming in 2 weeks.. man o man do we need him!! PH is doing whatever he can, AD is well AD.. 8-9 men in the box and we can't get open wr's?????
3. stupid stupid Personal Fouls.. now i see a lot of QQ about the coaches on this.. why? sure they have to instruct DON:T do this.. DON't do that!! now if we come out vs SF and do the same.. THEN i'd say it's a coaching thing.. but players play.. players make the fouls.. maybe some of this is bad ref's.. maybe it's frustration.. maybe it's lack of self control.. if we give up 100+ yards to penalties again then yes something is wrong on the coaching end..
4. Ponder.. one of the biggest knocks on him last year was the forced passes, ints, and decision making.. so far 2/3 seem to be vastely improved where the 3rd is improving.. just slower.. i'll get back to him around week 10.. his read progression still is in a building stage.. i saw a few times where he had an open receiver but choose a different one. why? i'm not a qb.. i can't answer that..
6. WTF is prevent D that doesn't prevent? is it hte scheme.. players... coaching? who knows @ this point.. we're young, growing, and learning.. the D line got to luck, but had a hard time putting him down.. BR and JA both had paws on him to watch him avoid them.. and make the pass. there was a reason he was touted as once in a decade.. maybe we saw some flashes of that.. time will tell..
7. OL.. did a much better job then what we saw last year.. though ponder i thought went around and seems to always float to his right.. there were also some major holes for AD to hit.. i like this group so far, we gave a year to our old line to gel, and i think we're allready ahead of them.
8. coaching.. in and out onthis one.. we are building a team.. and it seems to be improving. who believed we'd be a challanger this year? Frazier, although has 2 things going for him.. low expectations.. and the backing of his team. there is obvious differences between what we have this year in just 2 games then what we had under chilly.. ie.. mid game changes, situational changes, and coaches listening to what players are seeing on the field. i don't think today i'd call Frazier one of the better football generals, but he is showing that he's a step up from where we were. his grades will come @ the end of hte season.. and probably through one more camp/season. SlickRick.. so far i like the team he is building. you cna't get 10 GREAT players in one draft.. it's a multi year rebuild and we're in the middle of it. my cousin has coached his sons football team for years, he's won 1 championship, he loves the game and enjoys teaching his kids the game. he mentioned to me the other day. a coach can only say something so many times.. can only show something so many times.. it's up to the players to learn, and execute.. and the coaches to help put them into a position to make their natural talents shine.. if i'm gonna knock anything so far on this staff (which we have a new DC, a very quiet OC.. and a coach that see's a silver lining in people showing up.. ) know your players.. know their strengths and weaknesses.. seems we're not there yet..
9. replacement refs.. there were calls for us, and against us.. missed, misread, to close to call.. but it's not just us..look around the NFL.. there is a reason these guys arn't PRO refs.. and reasons they shouldn't be..
10. for years the Vikes have made no name qb's, backups, and rookies look like pro bowlers.. this is nothing new.. and as i see now nothing that will change this.
rant off.. i need coffee..
"We tried to stick with it, but there was a point where we were beating our head against a wall," Seattle Coach Mora talking about running at the Williams Wall
09-19-2012, 05:56 AM #79
As to your point.......
NFC North Week 2 Quarterback Report - NFC North Blog - ESPN
He is looking pretty good so far. I like that he has moved the team late in the first two games which resulted in points. 3 times if you count the over time drive.
Lets see what happens against the 49'rs D though.
On a side note.....Someone on here bitched because he didn't get to see him enough in the last meaningless preseason game. Guess it really didn't matter now did it.Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.
09-19-2012, 05:57 AM #80