Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: The Official Christian Ponder Thread

1. Assessing Ponder’s value at pick #12
    It’s clear to me that the critics’ number one beef with this pick is the value, meaning there’s a belief the Vikings could’ve traded back in the 1st round to acquire more picks later in the draft while still ending up with Ponder. This may be true, but it might also not be true. The Miami Dolphins (#15) and Washington Redskins (#16) were lurking just a few picks back, and it’s certainly possible they could’ve selected Ponder with their picks. Also, I’d submit to critics that the true “value” of a rookie QB isn’t determined now. It’s determined down the line, when we know whether he turned out to be a productive starter who leads his club to wins and, ultimately, playoff victories.

To me, here’s the bottom line on this issue: The Vikings didn’t find themselves without a partner at the end of this year’s QB shuffle. Now that would’ve been reason for criticism.

2. An ideal fit in the Vikings offensive scheme
    I’ll say that the reaction and mood of Vikings Head Coach Leslie Frazier, offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave and QBs coach Craig Johnson following the 1st round is the complete opposite as the mood of critics of this selection. Ponder was described by many analysts as the perfect QB for a west coach-type of offense. I’m not sure “west coast” is the most accurate characterization of what Musgrave will run in Minnesota, but I am sure that many of the principles of the west coast offense (rhythm, timing, variety of routes) will be found in the offense that Musgrave employs here. Ponder has experience being under center - a quality not always found in today’s college QBs – and Vikings VP of Player Personnel Rick Spielman says he is composed in the pocket, even when facing pressure.

Fans will see almost right away that Ponder is comfortable in the pocket and won’t compromise the chance for a completion whenever he faces pressure.

3. Intelligence and passion
    In doing some reconnaissance on Ponder’s mental makeup and character, it became clear to me quite quickly that Ponder is considered an extremely intelligent player and he has a passion for the game that was admired by his teammates and coaches. Spielman said he talked to coaches who described Ponder as a player who wouldn’t come off the field, whether it be in games or at practices. A Vikings scout also told me that Ponder’s offensive coaches at Florida State were able to run a completely new scheme each week because of Ponder’s ability to grasp concepts in a matter of a few days. Also, Ponder graduated in 2+ years from Florida State and he’s currently working on his second Master’s degree.

4. An experienced, senior QB with a lot of wins
    I actually tend to favor senior QBs coming out of college. While it can be argued that underclassmen QBs tend to be more talented (which is why they’re entering the NFL draft early), I think the difference in physical skill sets between senior passers and underclassmen passers is negligible compared to the bigger difference in their awareness and ability to both handle adversity and process information quickly during a game. Ponder played in 35 games during his college career, winning 22 of them and performing well in big spots. He’s the first QB since Chris Weinke to defeat both the University of Miami and the University of Florida in the same season and he was also named MVP of this year’s Senior Bowl.

A legitimate knock on Ponder is his injury history. He missed time in both 2009 and 2010 with throwing arm injuries, but he should also be credited for insisting on playing through pain during his career, particularly during his last game in 2009 and throughout the entire 2010 season.

5. Athleticism
    I think one trait of Ponder’s that Vikings fan will be particularly pleased with is his athleticism. He throws pretty well on the run and he had 10 rushing TDs in college, displaying the mobility necessary to both elude rushers and pick up yardage down the field. Should the Vikings pass protection break down, Ponder will not be a sitting duck in the backfield; he’ll be able to escape and either find an open receiver downfield or simply take off and pick up yardage with his legs.
    5 Points To Ponder On Vikings Top Pick

This pretty much says it all for me.

Again, I didn't scout him much becuase I felt his arm was bad and I also felt he was a more traditional 22 set kindof guy. Most on here had me questioning if we were going move to the 11 set WCO variant. Again, Ponder wasn't a good fit IMHO.

Now that I know they aren't going to change (as I surmised over and over again) he makes alot of sense after a good nights sleep.

SKOL VIKES GO PONDER....
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "AngloVike" #1095238
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095235
    Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1095230
    After seeing the draft end, It's pretty disappointing that he was the last QB taken. Kinda makes you wonder if we bought something no one else would have taken in the first.
    All over the radio down here how stupid the Deadskins were to move down and take the risk of missing out on him.

Course they follow-on question most are asking is why didn't they then take Dalton or even Mallet Head for that matter. Seems alot of us yutz fans had him a bit higher rated than Locker and Ponder.
    +1 even us fans get it wrong sometimes :P
    ......SNICKER.......

Some of us don't miss by to far though.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "NodakPaul" #1095240
    Weighing in late here, but here are my two cents.

1) Ponder is a good QB, who I doubt would have been there when we pick again in the second. QB was our highest need, and I am glad that we go one.

2) Yes, we probably could have traded down and still gotten him. Probably. We tried that last year though, and we missed our target. Given our need, I would rather reach than miss.

See you guys in the preseason with my Ponder jersey on...
    Adequately articulated my friend.

"The thing that we went back and forth on," vice president of player personnel Rick Spielman said, "was this: 'When are you going to get another chance to swing?' If we didn't get a quarterback this year that we liked, then maybe we're looking at a quarterback next year. Who knows what the quarterback class is next year? And I know we're sure as heck not planning on picking at No. 12."
    Spielman called Ponder "one of our top-rated quarterbacks" who was "right there in the mix" with other quarterbacks he evaluated. But Spielman admitted he considered a trade that would have netted the Vikings a presumably higher-rated quarterback, Missouri's Gabbert, but he wasn't willing to give the Dallas Cowboys his second-round pick (No. 43 overall) to move up three spots to No. 9.

Frazier said that Ponder would have been "hard to pass up" at No. 12 and spoke as if he would be an immediate starter. (Providing he beats out Yuck and Ick.)
    Christian Ponder: The Vikings' only choice

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095242
    Quote Originally Posted by "AngloVike" #1095238
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1095235
    Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1095230
    After seeing the draft end, It's pretty disappointing that he was the last QB taken. Kinda makes you wonder if we bought something no one else would have taken in the first.
    All over the radio down here how stupid the Deadskins were to move down and take the risk of missing out on him.

Course they follow-on question most are asking is why didn't they then take Dalton or even Mallet Head for that matter. Seems alot of us yutz fans had him a bit higher rated than Locker and Ponder.
    +1 even us fans get it wrong sometimes :P
    Locker had me blind. I didn't really put much work into Ponder cause I thought his release was to "lazy". Come to find out, it was that way cause he was playing with a bumb arm.

Obviously that means he is a tough guy and fits the scheme to a T, that is if you like the dink dunk 22 set scheme we were running under the last staff.
    I've no doubt that he was picked to fit in with Musgrave's planning but I also expect him to do more than just dink and dunk.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

I guess we can all agree that at least we got a QB, although it was a bit of a reach to ensure we at least got one.

Question is, do you feel CP is "NFL ready" & would be able to start for us or does he need a year or two to develop & we MUST find a veteran QB in FA?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

Tad7 is offline Team Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by "scraaaaazy" #1095153
    :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:

Maybe Favre will come back for one more year so Ponder can learn a little and not get thrown into the fire. Sitting behind Favre for at least a year could be the answer and make the difference between success and failure for Ponder.
    That's not funny :sick:

Quote Originally Posted by "marstc09" #1095164
    Spielman did not even mention TJ when he talked about the competition. Hell he even mentioned Rhett. LOL! Jackson is gone.
    You didn't already know that? it's been obvious and out there for months. T-Jack has zero interest in playing for the Vikings as well..zero.
    Skol Vikings! Go Cubs!

X MARKS THE SPOT

vike_mike is offline Pro-Bowler

You build your line, then you get a QB. Joe Webb would have been fine at the position, but you get your O-line straightened out first. Or the D-line straightened out. I know that we could all see the faces at the Draft party. Unbelievable. Follow the formula that Super Bowl winning teams have. They build their O-line and D-line first. That is how Indianapolis did it as well. Very surprising. Andy Dalton would have been a better pick than Ponder.

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Quote Originally Posted by "vike_mike" #1095255
    You build your line, then you get a QB. Joe Webb would have been fine at the position, but you get your O-line straightened out first. Or the D-line straightened out. I know that we could all see the faces at the Draft party. Unbelievable. Follow the formula that Super Bowl winning teams have. They build their O-line and D-line first. That is how Indianapolis did it as well. Very surprising. Andy Dalton would have been a better pick than Ponder.
    That was Childress' mail goal from day 1. In 6 years he failed miserably at his #1 goal.

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

ejmat is offline Jersey Retired

A bit of a reach IMO however sometimes the situation dictates certain decisions. I'm not angry about the pick because now we have a QB to groom and hopefully be our franchise guy. I'm not ecstatic either but like I said situations can dictate decisions sometimes. Now, we need to go out and get a good vet in the mean time. McNabb will be available soon and so will Young. We can all say what we want about both but they both have a winning track record.

Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast