jargomcfargo is offline Ring of Fame

Re: The Official Christian Ponder Thread

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1095185
    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1095183
    Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1095177
    Do you start him?
    Hell no. We start McNabb.
    That was naughty.
    This thing isn't exactly Stanzi, but it's close, and maybe better.
    If Musgrave knows what he's doing, this could be an amazing pick.

Get on board, because what you wanted, this guy has.
    “What takes a quarterback to the next level is not arm strength or mobility or any of that stuff. It’s the ability to play on critical downs. Manage third downs, or red zones or four-minute or two-minute situations"
    Dilfer

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

+ one and apparently happy birthday.

Purple Floyd is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1095188
    Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1095185
    Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1095183
    Quote Originally Posted by "kevoncox" #1095177
    Do you start him?
    Hell no. We start McNabb.
    That was naughty.
    This thing isn't exactly Stanzi, but it's close, and maybe better.
    If Musgrave knows what he's doing, this could be an amazing pick.

Get on board, because what you wanted, this guy has.
    Hey, I am on board. Just check the new Avatar.

He isn't stanzi but he was my fallback plan so that will have to suffice unless we take Stanzi later. But please, please stop with the mcNugget stuff:laugh:

gamecocksbaseball31 is offline Hall of Famer

Terrible. Unbelievable. I don't mind Ponder, but I DO mind where we got him and who was still on the board. Why reach for him here? Trade back, pick up at least a 2nd, and get him in the late teens or early twenties.

OR

Take Prince or Fairley at BPA. Don't reach. You just don't reach.

FailedToOpen is offline Waterboy

Quote Originally Posted by "gamecocksbaseball31" #1095193
    Terrible. Unbelievable. I don't mind Ponder, but I DO mind where we got him and who was still on the board. Why reach for him here? Trade back, pick up at least a 2nd, and get him in the late teens or early twenties.

OR

I think the Vikings were trying to trade down. Which would have been the best case scenario. However since I doubt they got the offers they wanted, so do you go with a Fairley who had one good season and is considered to have personality issues. Or do you get that QB that we haven't had in so long.

Yes Ponder is a reach (I'd say all the QBs this year are a reach) but Fariley wouldn't be the answer, Prince would be great but QB is still our biggest concern.

I'm quite happy that we took a QB. Better now than never.
    None

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "jargomcfargo" #1095174
    Quote Originally Posted by "gabe_menendez" #1095169
    I know what you guys are saying that it was a reach... But why take a chance when there were two teams that could possible go after ponder and dalton. I think miami was one of the teams. The vikings have done a nice Job in the draft the last few years (Peterson/Harvin) so I trust that they did there hw. I believe ponder is a boneafied genius, from what I heard on the network he is working on his second masters.
    That is exactly right. And you are one of the exceptionally few that recognize that fact.
    Christian Ponder is definitely an interesting prospect, highly intelligent (he has an undergraduate & masters degree in finance & a 2nd masters in sports management) & he scored a 35 on the wonderlic.
    LINK

If his career goes well for him as a Viking he could also become the GM for the team. I also saw somewhere he had a 3.73 GPA. I like the offense scheme he came out of and the more I read about his leadership it sounds good. I just hope we give him sometime to fillout a bit and don't rush him out for a least a year.

vikinggreg is offline Ring of Fame

Quote Originally Posted by "FailedToOpen" #1095196
    Quote Originally Posted by "gamecocksbaseball31" #1095193

OR

I think the Vikings were trying to trade down. Which would have been the best case scenario. However since I doubt they got the offers they wanted, so do you go with a Fairley who had one good season and is considered to have personality issues. Or do you get that QB that we haven't had in so long.

Yes Ponder is a reach (I'd say all the QBs this year are a reach) but Fariley wouldn't be the answer, Prince would be great but QB is still our biggest concern.

I'm quite happy that we took a QB. Better now than never.
    Also the Redskins moved down to 16 and were looking at getting him so that only left 3 trade partners to work with, unless they wanted to move down further and consider Dalton if the skins took Ponder.

b_sandhar_29 is offline Starter

I honestly was made fun of by every other fan around me about the pick. I was unbelievably pissed. But I'll say this regardless how much I hate this pick he's smart and a leader and those are qualities I love to see in a quarterback...

IN LESLIE WE TRUST!
    None

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

If his career goes well for him as a Viking he could also become the GM for the team. I also saw somewhere he had a 3.73 GPA. I like the offense scheme he came out of and the more I read about his leadership it sounds good. I just hope we give him sometime to fillout a bit and don't rush him out for a least a year.

+1 I've been watching a lot of Youtube videos on him since the pick. i've noticed that he tends to hang his receivers out to dry quite a bit but other than that, i'm happy with what I see. he will probably have an 80 or something Madden speed cuz he seems decently quick for a QB, but obviously not Cam Newton quick.

Like it or not, we're stuck with him for a while so we need to find the positives in him. check out some of his '09 stuff because he was injured for a lot of last season.

also, stop saying "i like him at 20 but not at 12" because the fact is, he is the 12th pick in the 2011 NFL draft. trading back would have been dumb, honestly if they were going to do anything they should have traded up to the cowboys' spot and taken Gabbert. but the past is the past and im pretty optimistic about this pick.

Page 6 of 42 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast