Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
    Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Re: The Official Christian Ponder Thread

Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1096809
    Quote Originally Posted by "AngloVike" #1096800
    but more to start developing a rapport with them - thats something that only comes with reps and unfortunately those are agoing to be limited this off season.
    Why do you say that? Favre did it just fine two years ago, so it is possible. Right marr? :woohoo: :woohoo:
    He did my friend.

I think, what will be telling, is who gets the reps during the offseason, whatever that is.

My guess, young Ponder is gonna get as much as his little arm can handle.

Again, the kid says he knows most of the scheme. That just leaves getting familiar with running the scheme. Not gonna happen unless he gets the reps.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096812
    but more to start developing a rapport with them - thats something that only comes with reps and unfortunately those are agoing to be limited this off season.
    Why do you say that? Favre did it just fine two years ago, so it is possible. Right marr? :woohoo: :woohoo:
    He did my friend.

I think, what will be telling, is who gets the reps during the offseason, whatever that is.

Again, the kid says he knows most of the scheme. That just leaves getting familiar with running the scheme. Not gonna happen unless he gets the reps.
    Not sure if you are just saying little arm because he's so young or because he supposedly has a weak arm, but I think this video shows he has all the arm strength we could hope for, especially in our offense.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Jar435rnc
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

bit different to a rookie coming into the league and having to learn an NFL style playbook in addition. Then again on that basis you'd expect Favre to have been spot on with every pass last season - remind me again how did that work out?

Back to Ponder, will also be interesting to see how well Musgrave can develop him as a QB. There are knocks on Musgrave regarding his playcalling so I just hope he doesn't knock the confidence out of the kid by getting beat up and slammed due to piss poor offensive calls.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

I'm gonna disagree. Even though he had a great 2009 season, it took him a while to get on board. Not until about game 4 did he start hitting his receivers like he's been on the team for a while.

Week 1 and 2, he was pretty limited, putting up about 280 yards combined and a few td's. Week 3, he had a big game, but it wasn't impressive until the very end.

Week four he started hitting his guys more consistently, him and Percy were noticably better together.

Another thing to note, Favre and Berrian had trouble clicking. Berrian was hurt all preseason, and they never really started getting ont he same page until midseason, because the two never practiced together until about week 1.

If it takes time for A seasoned Vet like Favre to get in sync with the receivers, imagine what it will take for a guy like Ponder, fresh out of college, No organized workouts or practices, and has to get up to speed with not only the playbook/scheme, but the speed of the NFL. I expect a slow start, especially due to the lack of offseason workouts.

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Everyones taking my post so seriously. I was just messin with marrdro, not making what I believe is a great or valid point. Although I do believe that Favre did better than most would with such limited time. I fully expect ponder to have some communication issues and things of the sort with his receivers in the early part of the season, and the remedy to that is a lot of short high percentage passes and handing off, maybe with an occasion PA bomb for shits and giggles.
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1096823
    Everyones taking my post so seriously. I was just messin with marrdro, not making what I believe is a great or valid point. Although I do believe that Favre did better than most would with such limited time. I fully expect ponder to have some communication issues and things of the sort with his receivers in the early part of the season, and the remedy to that is a lot of short high percentage passes and handing off, maybe with an occasion PA bomb for shits and giggles.
    Yep.

Another thing though. Favre was the one directing how the communication went. Favre expects the receiver to break a certain way, and he doesn't early on. They talk, and the receiver adjusts a bit. I suspect it will be the other way around at first with Ponder. If Rice or Harvin release inside/outside, or break at a certain point, but Ponder expects something else, odds are it's Ponder who will have to make the adjustment in his throw.

Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1096814
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096812
    He did my friend.

Not sure if you are just saying little arm because he's so young or because he supposedly has a weak arm, but I think this video shows he has all the arm strength we could hope for, especially in our offense.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-Jar435rnc
    I love it when I can see youtube at work......

I know he can sling it, but I wonder if a throw like that, wouldn't get picked? That one wasn't to bad (Especially since he was throwing it on the move), but some of the ones I've looked at since we drafted him, tend to be floaters that he got away with in college, that will be picks at this level.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096828
    That one wasn't to bad (Especially since he was throwing it on the move), but some of the ones I've looked at since we drafted him, tend to be floaters that he got away with in college, that will be picks at this level.
    All reasons why we need to start practice NOW.

Every day the lockout goes on, is a day that Ponder spends not getting accustomed to the NFL game. Sure, a coach or player can say "you can't float it", but he'll never really learn until he's out there doing.

Every day this goes on, it's one day closer to us having to sign a Vet to start.

There is NO rookie ever who can start day one without any type of organized offseason workouts or practices. None.

Hell, seasoned Vets struggle early on if they miss TC/Preseason (Favre, Manning, etc)

Quote Originally Posted by "12purplepride28" #1096823
    Yea, but you see what happens when you mess with me, I turn it into a discussion.........:P

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096830
    Quote Originally Posted by "Marrdro" #1096828
    That one wasn't to bad (Especially since he was throwing it on the move), but some of the ones I've looked at since we drafted him, tend to be floaters that he got away with in college, that will be picks at this level.
    All reasons why we need to start practice NOW.

Every day the lockout goes on, is a day that Ponder spends not getting accustomed to the NFL game. Sure, a coach or player can say "you can't float it", but he'll never really learn until he's out there doing.

Every day this goes on, it's one day closer to us having to sign a Vet to start.

There is NO rookie ever who can start day one without any type of organized offseason workouts or practices. None.

Hell, seasoned Vets struggle early on if they miss TC/Preseason (Favre, Manning, etc)
    You did notice that there is a actual plan to start the season 3 weeks later right?

Take a look at how all the bye weeks line up.

NFL Schedule Leaves Room

Page 34 of 42 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast