Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
    skum is offline Team Alumni
    Blog Entries

Re: The Official Christian Ponder Thread

Christian Ponder was the first offensive player drafted from Florida State in 4 years, tells you a little about the talent he had around him..

----
    PUT IN JACKSON!

Mr Anderson is offline Jersey Retired

Quote Originally Posted by "skum" #1096750
    Christian Ponder was the first offensive player drafted from Florida State in 4 years, tells you a little about the talent he had around him..
    See:
    Quote Originally Posted by "Mr Anderson" #1095293
    Ponder is the first offensive player out of Florida State to go in the 1st round since Alex Barron in 2005.

He's one of 4 since 2000. Peter Warrick 2000, Javon Walker 2002, Alex Barron 2005, Christian Ponder 2011.

Before last night, there hadn't been an offensive player drafted out of Florida State since 2007(Lorenzo Booker, Mario Henderson, Chris Davis.)

Let's see what he can do with some weapons.
    :laugh:

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Vikings quarterback Christian Ponder talks, Bob Sansevere listens

The new Vikings quarterback is a laid-back Texan who likes to have fun, but at the same time says, 'I work my butt off to be successful.'

http://www.twincities.com/ci_18023062?nclick_check=1

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

singersp is offline PPO Newshound

Re: Like it or not, the Vikings' long-awaited answer h

Quote Originally Posted by "Purple Floyd" #1096710
    http://www.startribune.com/sports/vikings/blogs/121459978.html
    Two weeks ago, the biggest question was, simply put, whoís going to be the Vikingsí quarterback?

Minnesota needs to start Ponder now and forget any notion about delaying the Ponder-era. Bringing in Donovan McNabb or Carson Palmer or Alex Smith isnít going to change the fact that Ponder was the 12th pick in the draft and will be sitting there waiting. Yes, you want a winning and productive quarterback, no matter who it may be. But if a veteran comes in and wins, then this No. 12 pick could have easily been an impact defensive player that could have boosted a unit needing life at the moment.

Tim Rohan
    Tim is an aspiring sportswriter and a junior at the University of Michigan
    Just another media hack, no?

Or is it that only those publishing anything negative about Ponder is a media hack & anyone publishing only good things about him is worthy of you posting it here?

"If at first you don't succeed, parachuting is not for you"

i_bleed_purple is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1096786
    Two weeks ago, the biggest question was, simply put, whoís going to be the Vikingsí quarterback?

Minnesota needs to start Ponder now and forget any notion about delaying the Ponder-era. Bringing in Donovan McNabb or Carson Palmer or Alex Smith isnít going to change the fact that Ponder was the 12th pick in the draft and will be sitting there waiting. Yes, you want a winning and productive quarterback, no matter who it may be. But if a veteran comes in and wins, then this No. 12 pick could have easily been an impact defensive player that could have boosted a unit needing life at the moment.

Tim Rohan

Or is it that only those publishing anything negative about Ponder is a media hack & anyone publishing only good things about him is worthy of you posting it here?
    Close, but a few words were off

"Or is it that only those publishing anything [strike]negative about Ponder[/strike] that doesn't follow my good friend Marty's point is a media hack & anyone publishing [strike]only good things about him[/strike] anything else is worthy of you posting it here?

Marrdro is offline Beware My Spreadsheet, Bitches!

Quote Originally Posted by "marshallvike" #1096582
    Do you think they had him rated above Locker? I would guess they weren't expecting Gabbert to be available. When he got close, they looked to be scrambling to try to pick him up. Just wondering if he was 2 or 3 on their list. Not that it matters as he is ours now. Hope they can do a good job developing him. He has got the tools.
    Its hard to tell based on what they are saying now but it was pretty clear, when the Cowboys were on the clock, that MN was on the phone at the same time the Cowboys were on the phone.

My guess, they had them like this, 1. Gabbert, (probably not gonna get to twelve. Make a offer/move up if he gets close), 2. Locker (If he falls to 12), 3. Ponder. (Try to move down if Gabbert and Locker are gone. If you can't take him at 12).

What is key to all of this is what the Deadskins did. I think they really felt the Vikes would pass on Ponder at 12 and felt comfortable moving dow to 16 as they felt the Vikes wouldn't be able to find a partner to trade down with (based on who was between).

In the end, they got either their best, second best or third best QB on their board (fourth if you count Newtown which I don't) and probably the most pro-ready of the group.

I have no doubt they will do a better job developing their guy than the last staff did.
    Agree, however, they have alot better "Guy" to develop IMHO.

On a side note, did you see this little nugget?

As many a mastermind has discovered, an offensive plan is only as good as the man running it. Bill Musgrave may have the greatest approach ever devised by an NFL coordinator, but if he canít develop himself a QB, it wonít mean squat.
    Letís also not overlook the importance of playcalling itself. The knock on Childress was always that, though he could design a scheme with the best of them, he was terrible at actually running it during the game. And guess what the knock was on Musgrave when he was offensive coordinator for a short time in Carolina? Bingo: his playcalling.
    Itís been a long time since Musgraveís two short stints as an OC, first in Carolina, then in Jacksonville, so maybe heís learned a few things. However, if the playcalling thing is about instinct and feel as many people believe, that experience might not count for much. Musgrave could wind up being another Chilly: a good schemer who canít run his own offense on game-day. Letís hope thatís not the case.
    What Will the Vikingsí Offense Look Like Under Bill Musgrave?

Haven't read all the threads from over the weekend, so I might make that into one, but I thought the last part of it jived with your discussion points.

In the end, I like everything Leslie (and the rest of the staff) has done to date, but I still "Ponder" if Musgrove was the right guy based on his track record.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by "i_bleed_purple" #1096787
    Quote Originally Posted by "singersp" #1096786

Tim Rohan

Close, but a few words were off

"Or is it that only those publishing anything [strike]negative about Ponder[/strike] that doesn't follow my good friend Marty's point is a media hack & anyone publishing [strike]only good things about him[/strike] anything else is worthy of you posting it here?
    LOL. I am pretty vocal, one way or the other, with respect to what these yutz's say and yes, I tend to like what they say that supports my views.

Couldn't that be said of all of us?

In the end, I don't post just the ones I agree with. I also post the ones I don't agree with so it isn't like I run around looking at all the drivel just looking for things I like.
    Many many thanks to my talented friend Jos for the new Sig.http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v343/josdin00/Vikings/Marrdro_sig.jpg

Anyone catch young Ponder on the Sirius Friday afternoon? I was in my truck and couldn't write things down, but here are a few things that are still in my memory.....

a. He is very very excited about being a Viking.

One could argue (I hate to argue) that he is just saying that cause he was drafted, however, he went on to say why:

b. He knows the system. Not just the scheme mind you, the system. Basically he articulated that it only took a bit, from the first meeting, to get a handle on the verbiage and then all the plays kindof fell into place.

He added that he will still have to learn alot, but he thinks it will come pretty quickly based on how similiar the scheme he is leaving is to the one that Musgrove is gonna run.

c. He has one heck of a sense of humor. They talked/kidded him about being a nerd cause of how smart he is academically.

d. He is now, like it or not, the face of this franchise.

I'm basing that on, not so much anything he said, but a compilation of all the stuff since the draft. The kid has been on damn near every radio, TV talk show and has given a interview to damn near any yutz who askes.

Again, I was a bit shocked when they took him at 12, but damn if I'm not loving this pick more and more as the days go by.

AngloVike is offline Jersey Retired
    Blog Entries

Well he looks good on paper and sounds as if he has the smarts to become a damn good QB in the league, but then again paper isn't everything. Having said that I've heard enough so far to know that I'm not going to be reaching for the indigestion tablets when he takes to the field unlike previous incumbents of the job ( and that applies to the previous starter and backup before anyone asks :laugh: )

Just wish that we hadn't been drafting him during a lockout as he's going to need all of the time available working with the backs and receivers. Not so much for absorbing the plays,as I think he'll do fine there, but more to start developing a rapport with them - thats something that only comes with reps and unfortunately those are agoing to be limited this off season.
    Time spent annoying a Packer fan is never time wasted...

12purplepride28 is offline Star Spokesman
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by "AngloVike" #1096800
    but more to start developing a rapport with them - thats something that only comes with reps and unfortunately those are agoing to be limited this off season.
    Why do you say that? Favre did it just fine two years ago, so it is possible. Right marr? :woohoo: :woohoo:
    I am NOT here to provide good football insight or rational observations. I am an emotional 19 year old Viking fan and I expect you to adjust your expectations from my posts.

Page 33 of 42 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast